Newbie Speaker Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

emax4

Member (SA)
May 7, 2017
Hello, newbie here. I was browsing eBay months ago when I wanted to try and find the boombox I had gotten as a kid for Christmas ('85 I believe0. I found it, which was a Panasonic RX5025. i used to prank my friend by recording our goofy conversations, and I still have the Memorex tape to this day!

The one I bought from eBay seems to have a faulty speaker connection. The right side works but the left side is very feint. I rotated the balance knob multiple times hoping to jar the pot connections a bit and get dust off (which there was in the screw holes in the back). It worked for the bass/treble but not the balance. I also tried the techniques used at https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/5990-panasonic-rx-5025/

That suggestion was to apply contact solution in the headphone jack and rapidly plugging and unplugging the 1/4" plug from the jack, but no luck. I Also swapped the red/white RCA leads from the cable I have going to the Aux In jack on the side, but no luck. I was able to partially disassemble it, but don't want to fully remove the front as there are thin black wires holding it in place and I don't want to get stuck. I had a bad habit of taking things apart as a kid and not being able to reassemble it, and don't want to repeat the same mistake i made in the 80's.

Is it worth trying to temporarily tap some of the wires to another speaker to see if it is the speaker, or best to try and resolder new wiring to it, or something else? Thank you.

PS. I attached a photo. There's a connector to the right of the vanilla door gear to the right of the left speaker (got all that? haha). I know this connects to the connector on the left, just had it removed to show how the black speakers tether the door.

Attachments

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
You can use a 9 volt battery to test the speaker , just connect the speaker wires to the plus,minus terminals on the battery, its best to just touch the wires to the battery for only a second or two ,if the speaker works you will hear static coming from the speaker each time you rub the wires on the battery.make sure the speaker is unplugged from the radio before anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.