Removing pitting / oxidisation etc from silvered face panels ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markoneswift

Member (SA)
Dec 11, 2015
Aotearoa New Zealand
Hi all,

I've just posted up some pics of my Sharp VZ-3000 and I noticed that some pitting around the cassette deck keys is quite noticeable. This unit has quite a lot of that type of pitting ( or is it built-up surface gunk ?) and I'd love to know if there's a killer solution to getting rid of it. I've tried quite a lot of cleaning fluids, including isopropyl alcohol (which does work, but not great) so I just wondered if anyone could offer any suggestions.

I think the previous owner was a smoker, judging by the colour of the chassis ! Maybe these marks are built up nicotine residue ? The unit doesn't smell bad though and was tidy but dusty inside.

Thanks !

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
I'm sure you will get a list of products from everyone here.

This is one that I have found that I really like. It's called Wizards Wax. At this stage of the game, I have restored a lot of radios and made a lot of mistakes doing it. I have used windex, alcohol, simple green and good old fashion elbow grease with just water. Many times leaving scratches in the plastic.

wizards.jpg

My procedure goes as follows.

First, when ever possible, I remove the part to be cleaned from the radio.

I wash it completely in lukewarm water NOT HOT WATER as it could distort the plastic with a soft soap like Dawn dish washing liquid and rise completely. I also use a soft sponge. Never a Brillo pad or the hard green side of a sponge. If there is substantial debris on the part, I let it soak.

Once clean I inspect the part. If it's a speaker ring or a tweeter bezel, it's often possible to put the part back on in a different position. If I can put the part on upside down, then the "New Chrome" will be in view and the old scratched, worn chrome will be on the bottom. If this is possible, I will take extra care with this nicer surface.

When applying the Wizards, I use a small piece of soft cloth, like a cut off piece of bath towel. I do not use paper towels as they are scratchy even when wet. I dampen the piece of bath towel and dab the wax on it. I don't flood it, but I do put on enough to lubricate the surface to be polished. The chrome should have enough wax on it to visibly see it. Then I take it easy. That build up that looks like oxidation, or little spots can actually scratch the chrome when it breaks free and is pushed across the surface. Keeping the towel damp will pick all this up. When your finished polishing, rinse it off again and if possible, blow it off with compressed air to get the water out of all the screw holes and crevices.

This Wizards wax produces amazing results. I especially like the way the part feel after. Super soft and "New".

Here is a radio I restored using Wizards
https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/25719-lasonic-trc-931-back-from-the-dead/?hl=931

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Pitted plastic, or pitted metal?

For pitted antennas, I use steel wool. Fast and works great. Great way to polish your car's windshield too. The steel wool will not scratch it.

For pitted plastic, I use Novus #2, but the Wizards stuff Chris posted is probably just as good. I haven't tried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.