• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Vintage Man

Vintage Man
  • Members (SA)
  • 398 posts
  • LocationOSHAWA ONTARIO CANADA

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:56 PM

So after many months owning a near mint M90 caught the gumption to open it up and see what's up with the deck. Bought new belts. But to my surprise the flywheel belt slipped off. After putting it back on. Managed to get rewind and ff no problem. But will not engage in play
Also don't get that famous click when you plug it in when sitting over a period of time. It did go into play once. But would not stop. And no sound as it was a blank reel clear. So something is not right. Any ideas so I can pass it along to the tec to aid him in a speedy recovery?

#2 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,991 posts
  • LocationHudson Florida

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:57 PM

Replace fusible resistor for your solenoid. But i would replace all 4 Fusable resistors. FR701,702,703,704 on deck board

#3 Vintage Man

Vintage Man
  • Members (SA)
  • 398 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:54 PM

Replace fusible resistor for your solenoid. But i would replace all 4 Fusable resistors. FR701,702,703,704 on deck board

Thanks Bill.
Ernie marody was telling me that the carrage if it does not make it all the way up or down properly that it will cut the Power. And that if it played once I just have to work the flywheel to help get it moving again as it has sat for years unused. I like the idea or replacing the 4 fuses. Should be a easy job for the tec

#4 Vintage Man

Vintage Man
  • Members (SA)
  • 398 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:13 AM

So I had it open to do a really good clean up. It will try to engage in play but want make it all the way. I gave the flywheel a turn and it locked into play and had sound. But was a bit slow. So today I am going to put new belts on. I'm not sure how this 2 motor system works. But I'm hope the belts will help get the heads up all the way and lock in. I'm thinking one motor is just for fast forward and rewind only? The other brings up the heads and engages play? Hench the slow playing?

#5 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,254 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:53 AM

Lubricate the deck also with white silicon grease. Like Bill said, it will be a good idea to replace all the fusible resistors. Check the rubber wheels. It had been years I worked on my M90. ~Royce

#6 Vintage Man

Vintage Man
  • Members (SA)
  • 398 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:05 PM

So new belts got all functions going. I can play. Pause. Return to play. And it's sounds great. Proper speed. Recording now. Looks like I did not have enough belt power to engage play. Very happy.

#7 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,991 posts
  • LocationHudson Florida

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:27 PM

Very cool

#8 caution

caution
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,957 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon