My Conion C-100 Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
this is probably in the condition that you guys would call a 'beater' but im actually pretty stoked to own a conion, ive never even seen one in the UK before :cool:

positives:
it works! battery door is present, as are all knobs and switches

negatives:
yeah it looks rough, its missing both arials, cassette door and the cassette under tray... hmm i like a challenge :bang:

first job I think will be to paint the outsides of the box

stereomad

Member (SA)
Apr 9, 2012
crawley
Nice resto project there,it has loads of potential...... And yes they are thin on the ground in the uk but nobody is prepared to pay the price tag to own one! Lol

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
stereomad said:
Nice resto project there,it has loads of potential...... And yes they are thin on the ground in the uk but nobody is prepared to pay the price tag to own one! Lol
Yeah it should be a fun project, im not looking forward to finding a tape drawer or cassette door for it but i might just get creative on those

Sean

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
Yeah it's going to be tough to find the door and drawer. If there are US and Canadian collectors on here waiting for those parts then it's gonna be hard in the UK. I've just recently got the Clairtone version and waited for years for the right one. All I needed were the aerials.

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
Yeah tell me about it. Im looking for arials myself, most seem to be around 16mm which isnt long enough for the conion but because they extend it shouldnt be an issue. Im not too worried about them not being the original length, my sharp gf has had a hitachi 3D arial for 10 years now which is too short but thats not been a problem

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
That box will clean up like new. If you tear it down, respray the silver on the face then detail the chrome with metal polish and clean the rest up that thing will look new again. You've got a keeper :yes:

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
before i get started, let me say that i am a 25 year old barber with no electrical experience what so ever, so bare with me here :lol:

okay, so ive probably done this the wrong way around but... last week i wanted to test paint the top side of the box before i commit to pulling the radio apart, so i did the paint first and i was really happy with the finish so some dissasembly followed...

This radio im told has spent over 20 years in an attic and held a load of dust, leaves.... and even children's glitter :hmmm:

grills and chrome werent pretty either

bath time!

i left the box outside to dry off, then prepped, and primed the rest in red

and the silver coats

once the bandages were removed...

im really happy with the paintwork, it turned out just as i hoped. the paint is lighter than the original, but it looks more fresh and i think its fitting that it has an 80s two tone look to it

Sean

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
Nice work! Looks great, Im currently cleaning up my Helix 4635. I just had it serviced so both decks are working proper so Im pretty excited.

Now, its all about the clean up. I am not going to paint mine though. Just clean it all up and leave the street battle scars there.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Nice to see you saving it. Any C100 that still blasts sound is worth putting some time into.

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
cheers man

i got chance to do some more work on this box today....

I started with the grills... these werent too bad, minus a couple of lights scratches and some surface rust on the edge. i gave them i light sand then painted black

Then i cleaned the chrome surrounds. Theyre pushed back in without screws for now, as they'll only be pulled back off to make shiny with chrome polish later on

the back obviously needed attention, i would be so dissatisfied if it left it the way it was

before

after

and for a quick mock up

im thinking i might prefer the back to be black, im not too sure about the grey against the silver. what do you guys think?

Sean

sean 91

Member (SA)
Sep 7, 2010
United Kingdom
goodman said:
Wow, look very good after restoration... :yes:
thanks. its not finished yet, but its been plain sailing so far and i havent run into any problems with it, so hopefully it'll be... :stereo: :rock: ...in no time

sean

stereomad

Member (SA)
Apr 9, 2012
crawley
Dude your doing a great job.....one thing I would do is spray the rest of the front (around the speakers) the same colour silver,it would look a lot better and more stock

Status
Not open for further replies.