Three aerials?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Just picked up this little beauty from a mate....got three, yes three, aerials! I know it's not a boombox as such but I think it's a gorgeous looking radio. Any other radios with more than two?

Oh and the aerial on the left is the longest I've ever seen lol

IMG_3437.JPGIMG_3438.JPGIMG_3439.JPG

Barb Bush

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2017
SoCal
Perhaps for the different frequencies. AM-FM using two, HAM frequencies using the single longer antenna?

Not an expert in the field but it makes sense to me.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
:drool: :blink: :huh: :hmmm: :-O

OK OK OK......I have NEVER seen that before!

Boombox or not, odd balls are welcome! :yes:
definitely unusual!

JVC Floyd said:
I love it . looks like it could be the head from a 1950s space robot.
Yeh I can see that now you've said it...probably why I liked it!

Barb Bush said:
Perhaps for the different frequencies. AM-FM using two, HAM frequencies using the single longer antenna?

Yeh it has some bands that are new to me so I guess that's why

KandiKlover

Member (SA)
Mar 27, 2017
Barb Bush said:

You're dead on freemason man. Shortwave/radio is what made me take full interest in this boombox hobby. AM and LW will use a ferrite bar inside the radio most likely. The 2 together on the side will function as a dipole, one being the active element and the other acting as a ground and I imagine would be for the VHF range of the radio that starts in the Lo-band at 38 on that radio and ending at 174 and longer single vertical for shortwave band reception. I've seen tons of different models like this pop up at HAMfests as well as in collections of Shortwave listeners and amateur operators. A HAM up the street from me has a big multiband grundig that covers up into the UHF bands as well.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
KandiKlover said:

HAMfests
THAT'S AWESOME!

I think one of the most amazing things about the traditional "Boombox" is the creators tried to pack so much into them. IMO, it's their saving grace. Simply for that fact that we can use them today with modern equipment like MP3 players since most of them have LINE IN. Also, the SW features attract collectors such as your self. And of course you got the straight up BLASTING POWER for everything from a Street Beat B-Boy shoot out or Beach Bash BBQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.