TRC 975 decks not functioning!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FWSnake

FWSnake
  • Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:38 PM

Both decks A & B don't play tapes at all. Radio and other features work fine, it's just this. Hopefully it's just something like the belts having to be replaced. I have some pictures if that helps anything.

Attached Files

#2 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:59 PM

You should start by checking if the motor spins, if it does then you probably need new belts.

#3 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 10,875 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee, U.S.A.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:58 PM

You should start by checking if the motor spins, if it does then you probably need new belts.

^^ This.  :yes:

#4 FWSnake

FWSnake
  • Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:45 PM

And what if the motor does not spin (haven't checked if it does yet)?

#5 Hisrudeness

Hisrudeness
  • Members
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationSouth East London UK

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:51 PM

Then you need to fix the motor too. When you switch the box on and press play does the motor do anything?

#6 FWSnake

FWSnake
  • Members
  • 120 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:51 PM

Then you need to fix the motor too. When you switch the box on and press play does the motor do anything?

Just got back to it. Upon observation, nothing is spinning when I activate the deck(s). You're likely right about fixing the motor, but I don't have the foggiest notion on how I should start with that.

#7 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,001 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted Yesterday, 04:18 PM

Check for power at the motor first.

#8 FWSnake

FWSnake
  • Members
  • 120 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:27 PM

Check for power at the motor first.

The motor makes a little humming noise when powered on.

#9 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,001 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted Yesterday, 06:49 PM

Try turning the motor over by hand with the drive belt removed. Dry/sticky bearings can cause a motor to seize. Drop a couple drops of machine oil into the top bearing and turn the brass pulley whilst pulling it in and out slightly.

On the other hand, sticky belts or a stuck deck mechanism can cause similar issues. It's a basic deck with one motor doing the duty of two motors in better decks. So you've probably got two main drive belts running from the one motor so either deck can be causing issues.