What powers your boombox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barb Bush

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2017
SoCal
I am so excited that I've found this website. I was really bummed that stereo2go ended.

I'm hoping you guys can help me figure out one question. I have used the search button to look for an answer to this question but has so much info its hard to decipher. What type of battery pack is everyone using to power your boomboxes while you are out with them?

I'm not going to splurge for D Cells every time I want to use my boxes. Are there lithium D Cell rechargeable batteries? I don't really like the standard rechargeables. Do you use external packs? Mr. Fusion? What setup do you use? Please advise.

Current boxes are JVC RC M70, PC5, and PC11. I think the M70 and PC5 are 15v and the PC11 is 12v. Correct me if I'm wrong.

FWSnake

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2017
Oregon, USA
Stereo2Go shut down? Damn, I didn't even know. Welcome to boomboxery though. Whenever I bring my boomboxes outside, I just use regular D batteries, which is probably an economically unwise decision on my part.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Welcome aboard, BB. First thing... S2G did not end. They moved to a new address when they left the old host. You can find them at:

http://stereo2go.org/forums/

Here are a few threads on the topic of batteries that might answer some of your questions:

https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/22246-battery-mods/

https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/12729-best-batteries/

https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/10925-are-lithium-batteries-ok-sorry-dumb-q/

https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/5823-li-ion-power/

I have found that battery life in the JVC M70 and the Sharp GF-777 is pretty good - of course, I'm not running them at full volume either.

When looking for proper batteries, you want something with a high mAh (milliamp hour) rating.

Barb Bush

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2017
SoCal
Outstanding information here guys, thank you so much.

I did find one thread that showed an external Li-Polymer battery cell source plugged into the DC port. I see some that are 9v/12v/16v. If my RM-70 is 15v would it be safe to run it at 16v or just stay at 12v?

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Slightly higher voltage (1V) is okay for DC. Batteries generally lose voltage as they discharge, so you would start heading to 15V almost immediately, but not necessarily quickly. Also, make sure the battery cannot be overcharged to something crazy like 30V.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
I use a D sized brand called Tenergy. I get the 10,000mah ones and they run my boxes for as long (or longer) than Alkaline batteries did. It takes a while to charge them and they're the same weight as regular D's but I like them.

They're NiMH so they do not suffer memory like the older NiCads did.

Barb Bush

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2017
SoCal
Transistorized said:
I use a D sized brand called Tenergy. I get the 10,000mah ones and they run my boxes for as long (or longer) than Alkaline batteries did. It takes a while to charge them and they're the same weight as regular D's but I like them.

What type charger do you use?

KandiKlover

Member (SA)
Mar 27, 2017
I got the Duracell D12 pack box on Amazon. Like 20,000mah capacity, lasts really long in most things. Though 10,000mah rechargeable are more than enough to last a day of really high volume blasting, you can always charge them each or every other night to make sure you don't run dead while outside the house.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Barb Bush said:

I'll have to check when I get home. I know the batteries and charger came as a kit through their website..

www.tenergy.com

Barb Bush

Member (SA)
Apr 19, 2017
SoCal
Transistorized said:

I'll have to check when I get home. I know the batteries and charger came as a kit through their website..

www.tenergy.com

Found it. Thank you very much.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Barb Bush said:

www.tenergy.com

Found it. Thank you very much.

NP. It's around 100 bucks or so for 8 or more batteries with a charger but when you factor in that you can recharge these over 500 times without any noticeable drop in performance and up to 1000 times before they expire, they are for sure the best option over throw away Alkaline. If you go this rout get the white 10,000mah batteries. The blue ones I'm not sure about their abilities or quality.

Here is my charger: http://www.ebay.com/itm/T9688-Universal-NiMH-NiCd-LCD-Battery-Charger-/232305959540?hash=item361683a274:g:5JIAAOSwRUhY9kIk

Here are the batteries I use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Tenergy-Premium-D-Size-D-NiMH-Rechargeable-Batteries-/390227573280?hash=item5adb603a20:g:Zr8AAMXQ8ABRkrLh

If you get this combo I can assure you will be happy. These run my C100F and JVC M90 all day long with reserve for the next day. The longest run time I've gotten was 14 hours per charge on these power hungry devices....which is better than what I got with Alkaline.

Also, this is a smart charger. They get hot if you don't deplete them between charges but supposedly you can toss them in and the charger will determine the current charge and go from there. If your power goes off while at work and comes back on it doesn't simply start all over and fry the cells. It'll pick up where it left off. It also shows you how topped off they are. If you run them down before charging they barely get warm from start to finish.

Like all NiMH batteries you will noticethey will improve in performance on the 3rd to 4th charge cycles and run longer than the initial 1st charge cycle. I'm not a sales person for Tenergy but I just can't say enough about their quality. I can let them sit in a box for months without worry of leakage and they don't lose but about 20% charge in 4 to 6 months from fully charged. Excellent batteries...

Status
Not open for further replies.