Question about belts

Status
Not open for further replies.

FWSnake

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2017
Oregon, USA
I figured this category would be more fitting than the "Belts" category. Anyways I have a question. Does every boombox have SPECIFIC belts that only work for that unit or can I slap on a universal belt that fits the size and it'll work? My buddy who's handy with electronics told me that the manufacturers designed it so that the belts would only work with that specific boombox. But then people are always saying "Eh, just replace the belts. Peace of cake." These two statements contradict each other because it seems like finding parts for these things is harder than I initially thought, more specifically belts, assuming my handyman is correct on this.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
While there are no "universal" belts, there are "universal" belt kits that you can buy. The kits contain the most generally used belt sizes for all types of electronics. Of course, a particular boombox might need a specific belt (that might also be used by many other boomboxes) that is not in the kit.

You will need to know the belt size(s) and shape(s) when replacing any belt. Some boomboxes require only one belt, while others might require up to four different belts. Some might need flat belts. Others might need square belts. Some need a mix of both.

Replacing the deck belts can indeed be a "piece of cake", but you will definitely need to know what to buy. Service manuals always have that information listed, and they will show you step-by-step how to change the belts.

Click the link below to get a better idea of available belt sizes and shapes.

http://studiosoundelectronics.com/belts.htm

FWSnake

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2017
Oregon, USA
Fatdog said:
While there are no "universal" belts, there are "universal" belt kits that you can buy. The kits contain the most generally used belt sizes for all types of electronics. Of course, a particular boombox might need a specific belt (that might also be used by many other boomboxes) that is not in the kit.

You will need to know the belt size(s) and shape(s) when replacing any belt. Some boomboxes require only one belt, while others might require up to four different belts. Some might need flat belts. Others might need square belts. Some need a mix of both.

Replacing the deck belts can indeed be a "piece of cake", but you will definitely need to know what to buy. Service manuals always have that information listed, and they will show you step-by-step how to change the belts.

Click the link below to get a better idea of available belt sizes and shapes.

http://studiosoundelectronics.com/belts.htm
But I could still use any, say, SBS 6.2 for my Lasonic, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.