5 replies to this topic

#1 Helmar

Helmar
  • Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:21 AM

Dear All,

I am currently working on two boxes: Hitachi 3D88 and CX-W700.

Both have the same problem with the left tape drive.

Both tape units are generally working fine.

However when the tape drive on the right side plays a cassette, the left tape drive makes a clicking noise once a second.

It sounds like it would like to auto-stop playing - even when it is already stopped.

It seems like the right tape drive is triggering the autostop on the left deck.

When I press the Pause-button on the (stopped) left tape the noise stops, but I guess the tape drive on the right side is intended to work without having the pause button pressed on the left tape drive?

Does anyone know this issue and a fix?

The original belts are still in use, but I do not think that this issue is related to problem of to low tension or similar.

Best regards

Helmar

P.S.: If there is anyone who has a service manual for the CX-700/750 - wink - wink ... I have the owners manual!

Attached Files

#2 hopey

hopey
  • Members
  • 177 posts
  • LocationMelb AU

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:20 AM

old belts can be troublesome even if you think they are ok. I would suggest you replace them as they all interact with each other meaning that there is extra stress in some belts. The clicking you are hearing may be due to one belt slipping and putting the logic out sync.

#3 Helmar

Helmar
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:34 AM

Ho Hopey,

I agree with that. As the tape units look as they were not much used, there should no be much wearing on it. And the belts are aging quicker than the other parts made of metal or plastic.

However I had the hope that someone here already had this issue and fixed it. As both boxes have the same issue, it may be a common problem.

Best regards

Helmar

#4 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,161 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:41 AM

I had that same issue with a CX-W700. One deck would play and the other deck would start clicking.
Can't help you with a fix as I lost interest in the box soon after.

#5 Helmar

Helmar
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:18 AM

Just a small update - the problem is solved on the 3d88 (I assume the tape on the cx-w700 is very similar).

I followed the tips and replaced the smaller belts (38 mm diameter; 1x1 mm lateral cut. However this did not do it regarding the clicking issue.

Then I took a closer look at the piston which is engaging the auto stop mechanism. It is going up and down even in stop-position as long as the other tape is playing.

I removed it, found some (more dust) and the leg of a spring which has a winding invisible under the coil. The leg was hooked off, so I reengaged it. Now the spring could put some pressure on the piston again, which lets it move to the bottom (as some kind of default position or orientation).

I made a test run of the unit for several hours – without any clicking annoyance.

Best regards

Helmar

Attached Files

#6 Perrin21

Perrin21
  • Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationPreston, Lancashire, UK

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:16 AM

It always surprised me how close these tape decks are to the speaker magnets.  Makes me more worried about erasing my precious tape collection by playing them in an old boombox lol.