Hitachi CX-W700 and 3D88 Tape Deck clicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helmar

Inactive (Delete)
Dec 21, 2015
Hamburg, Germany
Dear All,

I am currently working on two boxes: Hitachi 3D88 and CX-W700.
Both have the same problem with the left tape drive.
Both tape units are generally working fine.
However when the tape drive on the right side plays a cassette, the left tape drive makes a clicking noise once a second.
It sounds like it would like to auto-stop playing - even when it is already stopped.
It seems like the right tape drive is triggering the autostop on the left deck.
When I press the Pause-button on the (stopped) left tape the noise stops, but I guess the tape drive on the right side is intended to work without having the pause button pressed on the left tape drive?

Does anyone know this issue and a fix?
The original belts are still in use, but I do not think that this issue is related to problem of to low tension or similar.

Best regards

Helmar

P.S.: If there is anyone who has a service manual for the CX-700/750 - wink - wink ... I have the owners manual!

Attachments

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
old belts can be troublesome even if you think they are ok. I would suggest you replace them as they all interact with each other meaning that there is extra stress in some belts. The clicking you are hearing may be due to one belt slipping and putting the logic out sync.

Helmar

Inactive (Delete)
Dec 21, 2015
Hamburg, Germany
Ho Hopey,

I agree with that. As the tape units look as they were not much used, there should no be much wearing on it. And the belts are aging quicker than the other parts made of metal or plastic.
However I had the hope that someone here already had this issue and fixed it. As both boxes have the same issue, it may be a common problem.

Best regards
Helmar

Helmar

Inactive (Delete)
Dec 21, 2015
Hamburg, Germany
Just a small update - the problem is solved on the 3d88 (I assume the tape on the cx-w700 is very similar).
I followed the tips and replaced the smaller belts (38 mm diameter; 1x1 mm lateral cut. However this did not do it regarding the clicking issue.
Then I took a closer look at the piston which is engaging the auto stop mechanism. It is going up and down even in stop-position as long as the other tape is playing.
I removed it, found some (more dust) and the leg of a spring which has a winding invisible under the coil. The leg was hooked off, so I reengaged it. Now the spring could put some pressure on the piston again, which lets it move to the bottom (as some kind of default position or orientation).
I made a test run of the unit for several hours – without any clicking annoyance.

Best regards
Helmar

Attachments

Perrin21

Member (SA)
Jun 21, 2017
Preston, Lancashire, UK
It always surprised me how close these tape decks are to the speaker magnets. Makes me more worried about erasing my precious tape collection by playing them in an old boombox lol.

neiloliver

Apr 9, 2018
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Thanks for this post. I have just bought a TRK-3D88E and the left deck is clicking exactly as described here. I took both decks out and found that if I hold the spring with a small screwdriver the clicking would stop. I suspected it could be belt related so have ordered two belts - but from what you say here I doubt they are the problem. I will replace them and also remove the 'piston' to see if there is dust under it. Thanks for posting the photo.

The belts I ordered are 33 and 44m diameter but I don't know if that is correct. I measured the old ones and deducted 5-10% to account for stretching.

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.