New member with a beginner's collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squablow

Member (SA)
Have been a fan of the site for some time and lurked around but decided to join up and post a couple pics of my collection. I'm not super knowledgeable about these yet but this seems like a great place to learn.

Here in somewhat-rural Wisconsin, there's good and bad. The real grails are few and far between around here, they just weren't as popular back in the heyday, seems like most boxes were bought for jobsite use and few sprung for the biggest, fanciest boxes.

But on the plus side, old stuff doesn't get thrown out as much and the ones I do find seem to be dirt cheap. I think I have around $75 in my whole collection so far. The best being a really clean Montgomery Ward with the little TV inside.

My local buy-by-the-pound Goodwill seems to turn up at least one new box every time I go, and rummage sale season is getting started, so I'll update as I find new stuff. I have these 11 so far, and each one is a different name brand.

IMG_5530.JPG

IMG_20140829_114854.jpg

Sorry for the crummy cellphone pics, that window above always throws off my picture quality.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Welcome mate, yeah that's quite a haul for 75 bucks and I love that Monty!

1986GLH

Member (SA)
May 2, 2016
WI
Great looking collection you have going there, and the price is even better!

Where are you located in WI? I'm in Manitowoc.

Styleking

Member (SA)
Mar 16, 2011
Boston, MA.
Good start! BTW there was a lot of boomboxes in the wild in Wisconsin, you're just too late Scott (Skippy1969) and Joe (Blu_fuz) already bought them all! :lol: :lol:

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Not too shabby for a "beginner". My first boombox was a Sanyo M9935K back in late '83 early '84 so I noticed yours immediately. Welcome aboard!

Squablow

Member (SA)
Thanks for the welcome everyone! I added my location and info to my profile, I'm in Brillion, not far from Manitowoc at all 1986GLH, in fact I was just there yesterday checking out the thrift stores, no new treasures to report though. There was one at the thrift store in St Nazians with a front loading CD player but it was a little too new for me. Found a couple of plastic dashboard Jesuses for a quarter and the rest of the day was a bust. Stil fun to hunt though.

1986GLH

Member (SA)
May 2, 2016
WI
Squablow said:
Thanks for the welcome everyone! I added my location and info to my profile, I'm in Brillion, not far from Manitowoc at all 1986GLH, in fact I was just there yesterday checking out the thrift stores, no new treasures to report though. There was one at the thrift store in St Nazians with a front loading CD player but it was a little too new for me. Found a couple of plastic dashboard Jesuses for a quarter and the rest of the day was a bust. Stil fun to hunt though.
Nice! We'll have to meet up sometime in the future and blast some boomers.

PostEnder

Member (SA)
Nov 21, 2012
Southeastern U.S.A.
Hi, Squablow. As other members have been telling you, that's a fair number and variety of boomboxes in your "beginner's collection." I don't know how handy you are when it comes to fixing those portable sound systems, but tell me: besides perhaps the Sanyo M-9935K that Fatdog points out, do any of them tune shortwave? (Obviously not units like the TV-equipped Montgomery.)

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
I use to have that same Curtis Mathes JX-500 boom box. Its still in the family. I gave it to my dad as I was told I had to thin the herd after my M90 purchase. I miss that thing (Bottom left of your picture) 3 piece box. Neat to see that another is alive and well :-)

Great start. My wife limits me to how many I can have so I had to go after the heavy hitters but I love my smaller boxes as well.

Nice Collection :-)

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
That's a heck of a BB collection for $75.00, I wish I had that kind of luck. :yes: Well then, now you've made you presence known by coming out of the boombox closet, how does it feel? Have you told your family yet? D'ya think your work mates will give you second glances, eh?! :-D :lol: :lol: :lol:

:hi:

Status
Not open for further replies.