Identify These Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

milosancho

Member (SA)
Jun 2, 2009
Central Coast, California
Shall we play a game? Identify these speakers.
Picked up 2 pair of speakers - one in white the other is blue. Kinda strange, kinda cool, kinda rare. They are straight out of the 70's, 1972 to be exact. Can anyone identify these? First person to identify them.........wins bragging rights.

20170320_200038.jpg

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
Someone saw you comin bro! Those are dog crates!
Just kidding. I know what they are but its a little too early in the thread. Don't wanna come off as a jag bag loser primadonna!

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
-GZ- said:
Someone saw you comin bro! Those are dog crates!
Just kidding. I know what they are but its a little too early in the thread. Don't wanna come off as a jag bag loser primadonna!
Or...you could just tell me, so I can see a gosh-darn picture of what they look like! :lol:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Allegro had blue and white themed speaker boxes but that isn't quite what you have here.....

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
They were $159 each back in the day. That equates to approximately $790 today. I like that JBL also made storage units from the same shells.

milosancho

Member (SA)
Jun 2, 2009
Central Coast, California
I'm lucky to have found these. I just got the replacement foam rings for the tweeters, that'll make them look a bit nicer. The grill cloth on the blue set look like they were red at one time (I can see the red on the inside of the grill frame) but either someone went over them with dark spray or they faded to the blash-ish color they are now. I'm keeping the blue set for sure, will use them when we watch movies outside, so I might replace the cloth to red at some point. Blue cabs with red grills......unconventional for sure.

I like that JBL was experimenting with different materials and design. Due to the rarity of these they were likely not a hot seller. But they sure do make good sounding speakers. Just about anything from JBL of the 70's and 80's era will sound great.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
I love these "This Is What The Future Looks Like" type of stories but things never seem to quite work out like they think - or my life took a wrong turn into a parallel universe where 'The Future' went...............'wrong'?!

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
MyOhMy said:
I love these "This Is What The Future Looks Like" type of stories but things never seem to quite work out like they think - or my life took a wrong turn into a parallel universe where 'The Future' went...............'wrong'?!
I have had that feeling a few times. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.