Skepticism at Lasonic TRC-931 eBay listing

Status
Not open for further replies.

FWSnake

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2017
Oregon, USA
I found an auction for a Lasoni TRC-931 on eBay that seemed like it was too good to be true. It's in my watch list, as well as another one. One listing is currently at like $600, for a build that's in excellent condition. On the other hand, there's an auction that's currently $160, but there are some odd differences I've seen between the two.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112329512191?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252804072903?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The second listing has logos that are different than the first, some of the colors are noticeably different, it appears to be much smaller than the first, and it's missing switches under the volume and tone knobs that the first one has. So, is the second boombox some sort of bootleg? Photos and videos of the TRC-931 I've seen have more of a resemblance to the first listing, which is also at a way higher price than that of the second, which got me curious.

P.S. I'm new at boomboxery and boomboxes in general. Only models I have are the CFS-45, CFS-500, but I take a liking to vintage electronics.

FWSnake

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2017
Oregon, USA
Van Presence said:
I think the expensive 1 is 2nd generation and the cheaper 1 is 3rd generation.
Yeah, I examined both and you're right, the second listing is a 3rd generation. Unfortunate that it was kinda dumbed down. Are 3rd generations even rare?

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
FWSnake said:
Yeah, I examined both and you're right, the second listing is a 3rd generation. Unfortunate that it was kinda dumbed down. Are 3rd generations even rare?
The first generation 931 is the rare one. The 2nd and 3rd not so much. Always quite a few on eBay every week. A top seller for Lasonic.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
FWSnake said:
3rd generation is not worth as much and actually has less of build quality and lower quality in sound ;-)

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
I remember visiting Manhattan in the late 90s or early 00s and seeing brand new series 3 931's in an old electrical shop around 1132 Broadway near the Flatiron building. The price? $79

FWSnake

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2017
Oregon, USA
baddboybill said:
3rd generation is not worth as much and actually has less of build quality and lower quality in sound ;-)

I figured. The design is also sub-par, compared to the first edition. Oh well, guess I won't be getting a decent Lasonic TRC-931 any time soon. Priorities hold me back from just throwing money at one to get it, so I'll just have to get lucky.

Hisrudeness said:
I remember visiting Manhattan in the late 90s or early 00s and seeing brand new series 3 931's in an old electrical shop around 1132 Broadway near the Flatiron building. The price? $79
Haha, that's amazing! Did you buy it? And is that place still around? Maybe I can score something nice while I'm vacationing Manhattan over the summer :afro:

FWSnake

Member (SA)
Mar 17, 2017
Oregon, USA
SLO said:
Just keep looking man, one will come your way. eBay prices are usually high, but as others said, they are always popping up on there. Local scores are always nice, so keep your eyes open ;-)
Believe me, I'm obsessed with finding decent electronics at local thrift shops, and the only vintage boombox I've found while hunting is this mediocre Soundesign one, but I decided to sleep on it. One day I hope to find a steal!

Status
Not open for further replies.