lost my GE 3-5258 after 33 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rewind86

I found this forum today while searching the internet for a replacement for my fav GE Blaster. I look forward to reading all the discussions here as well as finally running into a group who can actually understand my love for analog. Wish me luck in my search, I'm gonna need it. I don't think I will even be able to sleep knowing that my GE has played its last tune. It made a pop noise the other day and today it would not power up. I guess she's gone. I aint mad though, its been a good run.

Attachments

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I wouldn't give up on it yet but you may be able to get help to fix it ,sounds like something might have blown out in the power board ,if you have the ability to take it apart and check it out post pictures it would help a lot.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Rewind86 said:
I found this forum today while searching the internet for a replacement for my fav GE Blaster. I look forward to reading all the discussions here as well as finally running into a group who can actually understand my love for analog. Wish me luck in my search, I'm gonna need it. I don't think I will even be able to sleep knowing that my GE has played its last tune. It made a pop noise the other day and today it would not power up. I guess she's gone. I aint mad though, its been a good run.
Welcome. So after the pop was it still working?

R

Rewind86

When it popped, it did continue to run and then I didn't play it for a few days. Upon my return, it wont do anything.. I did get the power to come on for about 15 seconds, rewind will work but the tape heads will not rise up to meet the cassette. This model with the feather touch seems like it would be a pain to repair. I am thinking of trying to find a Toshiba 9990 which was the boombox everyone wanted back in the day. I don't really think I will fix this one and there are no real repair shops in my region. I am probably better off trying to find a restored unit or one that remains in good shape. Its funny how such a benign activity can really be a huge part of your life.. I am really missing my little boomer.

Is there a good online market place where I can find a good boombox? I don't really want to use ebay for electronics and most of the boxes sold on ebay do not seem to be in good shape.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Well, just know that if you miss it even more later on, and change your mind about fixing it, we're here to help!
If it still worked after you heard the pop, it's possible the big power capacitor took a dump.
Then, after a few days, the electrolytes finally dried all the way up in it and now it won't conduct at all.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
That's the GE they played on the athletic field in the beginning of the movie 'The Goonies'. Classic!

It probably can be fixed.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Another question is was the pop noise when you turned it on? Quite possibly all you may need is cleaning of switches. What happens is the switches on inside gets dirty and corrosion and sometimes the metal starts arching which is what can cause a pop noise on turn on. Some switches are so bad that the metal slides need to be resurfaced for smooth operation. But cleaning the inside with a good contact cleaner spray and workibg the switch sometimes helps. ;-)

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
baddboybill said:
Another question is was the pop noise when you turned it on? Quite possibly all you may need is cleaning of switches. What happens is the switches on inside gets dirty and corrosion and sometimes the metal starts arching which is what can cause a pop noise on turn on. Some switches are so bad that the metal slides need to be resurfaced for smooth operation. But cleaning the inside with a good contact cleaner spray and workibg the switch sometimes helps. ;-)
Spot on Bill, that's what I was thinking while reading this. Since he still has some power off the cassette, that means the Sleep function part of the circuit is getting power.

@Rewind86, we have seen lots of "Up In Smoke" action and they have been brought back too life...

Now, about your next Boombox in your collection! That Toshiba would be sweet! :-D

Welcome to Boomboxery

Status
Not open for further replies.