Panasonic RQ-V180

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
I am having an issue where my walkman starts slowing down on forward playback. If I tap the walkman case it speeds up momentarily then starts slowing down again. Sometimes it fluctuates. This happens mostly when playing in the forward direction. Reverse seems better all the way around when it comes to wow and flutter.

Both pinch rollers are very pliable and grip well. Pressure to the roller is good. Belts replaced. Capstan cleaned to perfection. Motor Speed adjusted. Gears oiled. Head azimuth adjusted. Using good tapes. Does it off and on no matter what tape. New batteries. Door looks solid and not warped.

I don't get it. About to give up. Maybe the capstan roller bushings are shot. Sometimes it plays fine. Only reason why I'm monkeying with it is because it was my first real walkman that I used on the bus rides home from school. My mom baught it for me when I was a kid. Its still plays ok I guess. Just becomeing morr of an audiophile and this is driving me nuts. About to give up on it. Looking like it might be the motor or a logic circuit on the board.

What on earth could cause such a problem? Anything simple I missed or is it starting to look more technical in the not worth it bin? It's not a collectors item so no biggie.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Well....I think I may have found the culprit and it doesn't look good for me. I decided the check the capstans for play. The left capstan (forward) has noticeable side to side play where the right capstan (Reverse) does not. I am sure this will explain why there is more issues running in the forward direction. I guess I used this thing more than I thought back in the day. It had more mileage than I remember.

As far as I know there really isn't a fix for this. Running in Reverse mode is better so I guess I will just use that side until it wears out. I am sure this thing isn't worth replacing bushings for the capstan and lots of walkmans only play in one direction so I'm not worried. I just wear out the reverse side and say I got my use out of this thing :-)

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
While playing my old Panasonic RQ-V180 in the car today it all of the sudden slurred to a stop. I thought....ah crap!!! Took it apart and found a tiny screw wedged under one of the capstan flywheels. Couldn't find where it went and it plays better than before without it so oh well...lol Toss it into a drawer for the day if/when it may be needed :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.