Trashed 777 reborn :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
So I picked up a trashed 777 for parts, sold as a non-working, stripped shell as per https://boomboxery.com/forum/index.php/topic/26227-help-me-save-this-poor-abused-777/

Here it is before. It had a hard life as a shopfitters box and was splattered with some very hard white stuff that actually melted the surface of the plastic!

IMG_3147.JPGIMG_3148.JPGIMG_3161.JPGIMG_3097.JPG

So this is what was wrong/missing:

Trashed surfaces with craters!
Back and top had been resprayed over everything; over the craters, the handle, even the aerial stubs
Missing the 4 main speakers
Deck doors very rough
Left hand hinge of deck 1 busted
Filthy inside and out
Missing casing screws
Missing screws internally
Small bit of rear casing damaged along edge
Headphone sockets hanging out
Led strip not secure
Tuner window broken and removed
Missing toggle switches
Broken aerials

So basically a bit of a mess!

Stripped it, serviced the components, repaired and filled the casing front and back, sanded and resprayed with primer, colour and lacquer about 10 coats in total. Rebelted the decks. Replaced all the missing screws, fitted speakers from a Sharp GF9191 and a GF575. Took 20+ hours. IMG_3115.JPGIMG_3123.JPGIMG_3127.JPGIMG_3130.JPGIMG_3124.JPGIMG_3158.JPGIMG_3136.JPGIMG_3175.JPGIMG_3176.JPGIMG_3177.JPGIMG_3173.JPGIMG_3172.JPG

Now kicks ass!

Works perfectly and sounds great on radio and line in. Deck 1 works. VU's and all switches work perfectly. Taken a lot of work and still waiting for a new tuner window from Japan and I've still got to polish the deck doors. But it's been booming as I do the final detailing and I love it! Best way to get a 777...cheap! And always great to save a good box from the trash :-)

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
geoffhartwell said:
great transformation, what speakers did you use
The outer ones are from a Sharp GF9191 and the inner ones from a Sharp GF575...I happened to have them in my spares box and they have centre caps to match what would've been on the 777 originally. I'm surprised how good they sound...I know some people upgrade but I'm happy with these for now

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
geoffhartwell said:
they look really good, the 9191 speakers are white, and i think the 575 are to, what did you paint them with,
Yep both originally white. I always paint speakers with a thin coat of acrylic artists paint using a wide soft artists brush

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Cracking job Si.

The original pictures showed how badly affected that case was, to have it in such nice order now is very impressive. I think saving a grail from the tip and getting a grail for a decent price is awesome, all it needed to be a grail again was your hard work. Worked out pretty good eh?

She's looking awesome.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Thanks everyone! Was a lot of work but totally worth it.

@goodman - is that the right size aerial i.e. 21cm down and 98vm extended? I had only the stubs so nothing to measure lol

Status
Not open for further replies.