Introduction & Advice Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Time To Play B-Sides

Member (SA)
Feb 25, 2017
Austin, TX, USA
Hello everyone. I've been lurking and educating myself for a few months, and decided it was finally time to register. I think I'm just about ready to purchase my first box since the little Panasonic RX-4920 I had as a kid, and I would like to ask your opinions before I pull the trigger.

Here's a little background info on me, my rig, & what I'm looking for:

I grew up listening to vinyl and cassettes, and moved on to CDs in my teens. I had a mid-range system of Pioneer components that served me well for 15 years or so, but it eventually all broke down on me about 10 years ago. A couple years ago I started piecing together a new rig consisting of:

Yamaha R-S700 receiver
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable (Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge)
NAD D 1050 DAC
Pioneer GR-777 EQ
Polk Monitor 70 towers
Accoustech H-100 sub

I recently added an Akai GXC-570D mk. II deck, and am really loving it. I travel quite a bit, and have been suffering with having to use my phone and a $20 bluetooth speaker in hotel rooms. I'd like a nice, mid-sized, one-piece box with aux inputs to travel with so I can play the mixtapes I make on the Akai, and have the ability to connect my phone. I'd also use it at home for dubbing since the Akai is only a single deck.

I was leaning pretty heavily toward buying a RX-5150 because I grew up with a Panny box, but I have the opportunity to buy either a JVC RC-M60 or a Pioneer SK-71 (or both) at a price that may be too good to pass up. I can't find detailed specs on either box online. As far as I can tell, the main differences are that the M60 has a metal setting, receives shortwave bands, and has a needle meter as opposed to the 71's LED meters.

What can you guys tell me about the reliability and build quality of those 2 boxes overall, and more specifically their decks? Also, do they both have real cone tweeters, or are they piezzos? The price is about the same on both boxes, and both are in good working condition.

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Hi TTP and welcome to the site, there are loads of knowledgeable folks here that will chime in but for the time being here are my thoughts.

Of the three boxes you mention i would rather have the 5150.

Great box with usual Panny build quality a nice deck and the classic boombox look.

The M60 im sure is a quality box as are most in the M** range but i have no experience of it, i have however rebuilt the deck on a couple of JVC boxes (M70 etc) i would say it will be a nice quality soft touch deck, I am not in love with the waffle grills however. Sound will probably be excellent as i have a JVC RC-656 and the sound is impressive for such a low ish end box. I have not heard the M60 but you can bet it will be decent.

The Pioneer for me is a mixed bag, I would definitely pick it up out of the two available. It doesn't have the classic look and the grills are funny but it will exude quality, be slightly rare and have a great quality deck and lovely LED meters.

Its worth bearing in mind that although advertised as "fully working" all boxes of this age will need a service and new belts as well as calibrating if it has not all been done already. So although they are working they may require some work in the near future if you want the decks to sound their best.

At a guess in order of easiest to most difficult to rebelt and service i would say:

1. Panasonic 5150
2. JVC M60
3. Pioneer SK

Pick up both if cheap enough and decide which one you like, if not then choose which one fits you best. Then look for a Panny 5150 :lol:

Look back in 6 months at your new collection of boomers and curse me :lol:

Time To Play B-Sides

Member (SA)
Feb 25, 2017
Austin, TX, USA
Thanks for that, T-STER. Yeah, I kind of figured the Pioneers were rarer / more desirable just because of the lack of online info about them compared to the JVC Mxx's. I also agree that the grilles on both boxes aren't the prettiest things to look at (to put it kindly), but I can live with that for awhile until my sickness takes over and I have a growing collection a year from now. Don't worry, I won't curse you - that's why I waited this long to take the plunge... because I know what buying the first one will eventually lead too ;)

Do you know anything, or can you make an educated guess about the tweeters on either box - as far as if they're cones or piezos?

I think you're probably right though. I may just get both, see which one I like better, & resell the other.

Thanks again,
B-Sides

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Oh yeah lovely looking Panny, solid build and classy looks. Love those LED VU.

Hows the deck is it working? Glad your happy with her, she a beauty

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
The 5150 was the best choice of those boxes even though they have piezos. Your mileage may vary.
Mine have faded a lot and are very quiet, they need to be replaced.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
As the others have said, Great Choice. I do allot of traveling as well and this box can actually be your "Carry On". I can't tell you how many times I have checked a bag and traveled with a mid sized box and a back pack on the plane. That Panny will fit under a plane seat no problem.

Plus with the 5150 you have more than enough volume for a hotel room!

You might even want to consider a hard shell flight case for the Panny, check it in and carry on a small bag with your clothes.

Either way....welcome to the insane asylum...and one question....What radio is next on your list?

Status
Not open for further replies.