My Telefunken Studio M1 is burning

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenrob

Member (SA)
Sep 6, 2016
France, North
Hi guys. I have just received this boombox in very good condition. I plugged in and suddenly a burning smell appeared :bang: . I also did a test with batteries and it is the same problem; Do you think it is possible to repair this boombox easily? I have not dismantled it yet because I do not have the right tool to remove the buttons.
Thank you

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Does it work OK? Just smells bad?

You don't need tools to remove the back cover. Just remove the screws from the side and pull the rear cover off.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Ill bet it was set on 120v and you plugged it into 240v

stevenrob said:
Hi guys. I have just received this boombox in very good condition. I plugged in and suddenly a burning smell appeared :bang:. I also did a test with batteries and it is the same problem; Do you think it is possible to repair this boombox easily? I have not dismantled it yet because I do not have the right tool to remove the buttons.
Thank you
Hi guys. I have just received this boombox in very good condition. I plugged in and suddenly a burning smell appeared. I also did a test with batteries and it is the same problem; Do you think it is possible to repair this boombox easily? I have not dismantled it yet because I do not have the right tool to remove the buttons. Thank you
An allen wrench is needed to remove some knobs. ;-)

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
stevenrob said:
hello, it is already on 220v. I have bought an allen wrench (so little) to Amazon.
Well you didnt have to be so snobby!!!! I also think there is a fuse in these which may have blown and might cause burning smell.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I think the translation Bill was:

"Hello again guys. It is already set on 220v. I have bought an allen wrench from Amazon because I don't have one that small. "

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Which is why I said it is a USA thing. Hello! :cool:
Sorry about veering off course, I guess we should be talking about the boombox on fire.

stevenrob

Member (SA)
Sep 6, 2016
France, North
Bonjour les gars, I have understand What badboybill say (I think). My hello was a real hello :-)
In france this is "allo. 'We use this word when we phone and also for sarcasm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opFZ2H4wUrA

this girl is famous in France...

Attachments

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
stevenrob said:
Bonjour les gars, I have understand What badboybill say (I think). My hello was a real hello :-)
In france this is "allo. 'We use this word when we phone and also for sarcasm.

this girl is famous in France...
Lol. Actually i would have thought different if you said bonjour!!! Lol. Sorry. :-(

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL

AE_Stereo

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi, UAE
My five cents.

Was it received in mail?
There is chance of something broken during transit, such as the power supply or speakers coming off their legs.
For this reason, if I get a box in parcel, the first thing I do is to open and see the internals before powering up.

Can you feel/listen anything loose by tilting it in all directions? If so, do not do any further powering up tests.
Open and examine the internal condition first.

stevenrob

Member (SA)
Sep 6, 2016
France, North
Bonjour,

internal conditions seem ok. But now the boombox seems to be dead :jawdrop: with battery or AC (no reaction, no burning smell but all fuses are good...) But I'm going to try with 12V DC.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Usually, when there is burning smell upon power-up, it's due to either the power connections was reversed, or there is a short somewhere or incorrect voltage setting. The most likely components that can fail are: Capacitors popped (if voltage was reversed). Transistors burnt (if shorts). Rectifiers (there are 2 bridge rectifiers in this boombox), especially if there was a short somewhere. Power resistors if overcurrent conditions, usually again due to short circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.