Speaker reinforcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Some 3-piece boxes have cheap, thin plastic walls that resonate and add a boxy coloration to the sound. Adding fiber mat doesn't always solve the problem. So I'm thinking of installing some kind of spring-loaded rod, or threaded rod, that would stretch between 2 walls and put some tension on them. Something like a shower curtain rod. But obviously those are too long.

A simpler idea would be to cut some pieces of wood, like from an old broom handle. Size them right for a snug fit, and just glue them down.

Anyone do anything like this?

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
I've never put any kind of structural brace inside a speaker enclosure, but I have used a product called cover tape to add density to plastic cabinets. It's actually a rubber roofing product used to cover edge metal and small flashing details. It's uncured (sticky) on the back side, is very dense, and comes in a 100' x 5" roll.
That, with some poly-fill batting, definitely made a difference for the better on my Pioneer C-3.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
My Sanyo C35 has timber reinforcements like you suggested: (Factory)
IMG_3388.PNG
Uh, you sure nobody else has been in that box? :lol:

superlew said:
I've never put any kind of structural brace inside a speaker enclosure, but I have used a product called cover tape to add density to plastic cabinets. It's actually a rubber roofing product used to cover edge metal and small flashing details. It's uncured (sticky) on the back side, is very dense, and comes in a 100' x 5" roll.
That, with some poly-fill batting, definitely made a difference for the better on my Pioneer C-3.
Just did a search for cover tape.....That stuff is expensive!!!

Nickeccles said:
The Silver SR5000 speakers have a metal reinforced strong bar factory fitted & it's a very tight fit.............
Never heard of that box, got any pics?

BoomboxLover48 said:
One inch PVC pipe should work well. I think that will make it more rigid. :yes: :-D Paint it to match the speaker color if you want! :-D
I think wood would be easier to sand to fit :cool:

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
Reli said:
Just did a search for cover tape.....That stuff is expensive!!!
I do have somewhat of an advantage as a project manager for a roofing company. ;-)

I'm not sure if rubber roofing (EPDM) is an industry standard in CA, but if you're walking by a commercial job site and nicely ask a roofer if they have a small piece they'll probably give you some for nothing - I know I would.

I've also seen people use a product called Peel-N-Seal, which they say is available at places like Home Depot, although I've never seen it. I guess it's very similar to Dynamat, but way cheaper. I use cover tape because it's easily available for me and it's denser than Dynamat.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
There is a peel and stick damping material for automotive application. This is expensive.

This goes inside the door skin area and other places. This is expensive. I have some in the garage. I will give more details on the make.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
I see people are selling adhesive Sorbothane on Ebay, and there's a Dynamat imitation as well.

I'll get some wood sticks from Home Depot.

Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.