Best needle cartridge for Vinyl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seko

Member (SA)
Jan 29, 2017
Southside Chicago
I have a crappy Technics 1200 knockoff (Audio Technica) I've been doing everything to get the best sound quality out of it until I can find or afford the real deal. What do you find to be the best needle out there? Currently I'm running a Sure "White Label" cartridge. I was going to buy an Ortofon but they have a bad rep of damaging vinyl and have even been referred to as "record chisels".

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
You could ask 100 people and probably get 100 different suggestions. I started out with a Stanton Trackmaster, but switched to a Shure M97xE a few years ago on my SL1200 Mk II. I have been very pleased with it.

sun209union

Member (SA)
Jan 16, 2017
Thatcham Berkshire UK
I know we all have different options with styluses but I can't think why the Ortofon isn't any good for vinyl I have a couple of vinyl jukeboxes one of them is a 1983 model fitted with two Ortofon styli A&B sides, iv owned the machine for 19 years all my records are in mint to Ex+ and have never had any problems and only ever replaced the styluses a coupe of times each and she's played often, some of the records are original old vinyl some were new reissued for stereo so more what you'd call micro groove, no issues what so ever! my Record deck uses Shure no issues there,

seko

Member (SA)
Jan 29, 2017
Southside Chicago
sun209union said:
I know we all have different options with styluses but I can't think why the Ortofon isn't any good for vinyl I have a couple of vinyl jukeboxes one of them is a 1983 model fitted with two Ortofon styli A&B sides, iv owned the machine for 19 years all my records are in mint to Ex+ and have never had any problems and only ever replaced the styluses a coupe of times each and she's played often, some of the records are original old vinyl some were new reissued for stereo so more what you'd call micro groove, no issues what so ever! my Record deck uses Shure no issues there,
There was a study done a few years back in which the author used an electron microscope to test the effect of certain needles. Although Ortofons probably sound the best, the microscope showed they dug into the records and caused damage. Who knows if it was a biased article or not but I spend a lot on my records and didn't want to take the chance.

sun209union

Member (SA)
Jan 16, 2017
Thatcham Berkshire UK
seko said:
There was a study done a few years back in which the author used an electron microscope to test the effect of certain needles. Although Ortofons probably sound the best, the microscope showed they dug into the records and caused damage. Who knows if it was a biased article or not but I spend a lot on my records and didn't want to take the chance.
yep understand what your saying maybe the article has some truth behind it, I'm the same spend 100s per album at times and have single worth big money so very careful what I do with them, on the turntable using the Shure i thought had a good right up, but I have wondered in the past what's the best, so many different views and articles it can become very confusing, but then it also comes down to the deck/turntable and tone arm set ups weights etc not just the stylus make, minefield I thinks,,,

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
I have a pair of Stanton Trackmaster II's in the original boxes with the extra stylus....barely used. Bought them new in '03 I believe.

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
Hey seko this should give you a better perspective on your opinion on the Ortofons

Both Shure and Ortofon are great cartridges.

I think this guy gives a good synopsis on both cartridges.

Check it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMi85im047s

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
Phono preamp are basically to send the signal to an amplifier.

If you have a receiver with a dedicated phono input then you can directly plug the turntable to the receiver without the need of a phono preamp.

Yes the phono stage does matter it works hand in hand but the cartridge & stylus tip plays a crucial role.

Then you have the EQ's & BBE sound Enhancement to give it a nice boost if you so wish.

http://www.co-bw.com/Audio_All_about_phono_preamp.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.