RC-M90JW versus RC-M90C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
I am sure if anyone can answer this question the guru's on here can.

Is there a difference in Amplifier Power output from a RC-M90JW to a RC-M90C? Another words one that is louder than the other? My friend was telling me that he thought the Canadian model made less RMS output power. I thought the internals were all the same just that the C designated a model sold in Canada and the JW was sold in the US.

Anyone out there that can clear this up? Thanks

Superduper

Member (SA)
The C version was sold in Canada and I'm pretty sure a fixed 110v power supply.

The JW version has a multi-voltage capable power supply (115/230).

Aside from the power supply differences (and sometimes, tuner and I/O variances), I believe internally, they are otherwise pretty much the same. Locally, different ratings may apply so it's not unusual to see the same equipment have slightly different ratings but it's all a matter of how you rate them. The Victor model, aside from the 100v input, may have some other differences as well in the features.

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
This is what I thought
The boards and amp chips were all the same as well as the speaker ratings. JW, C, LB & L (Europe) were all the same internally apart from the different power packs. The sticker ratings were regional but the internals were the same.
Reports from collectors with multiples of this model saying that one sounded better than the other was due to the condition of a particular box's caps and stuff after 30 odd years.
Would this be plausible?

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Hisrudeness said:
This is what I thought
The boards and amp chips were all the same as well as the speaker ratings. JW, C, LB & L (Europe) were all the same internally apart from the different power packs. The sticker ratings were regional but the internals were the same.
Reports from collectors with multiples of this model saying that one sounded better than the other was due to the condition of a particular box's caps and stuff after 30 odd years.
Would this be plausible?
This sounds very plausible. I can go with that. The wattage that my friend must be referring to must be the power supply differences between the two models. That's power consumption....not output power from the Amp.

I have known many people to swap parts from one to the other without any compatibility issues. When I mentioned this he said that he was aware they had enough similarities to swap parts but he felt the Amp was more powerful in the JW than the C. That was more where we had our differences in opinion. If the Amp chips and all circuitry is the same then only the power supply must be causing the variance in the wattage shown on the label. In this case they would be referring to the wattage consumed by the unit. Again my friend argued that a more robust power supply drawing more wattage would allow the amp produce more RMS power due to a better supply of voltage.

IDK. My model is a JW but my Amp board had a bad pot and the easiest thing to do was switch it with a good one out of a RC-M90C. I just feel like he is insinuating that my M90 is not as powerful as it used to be because the replacement amp board is less powerful. I have both of the boards here in front of me and all parts are the same. So we ended with me mentioning that my power supply is original so if that is the contributing factor then the board out of the C model should be getting more power to produce more power.

This is a friendly argument but a disagreement nonetheless.

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Certainly I guess so but they did print different ratings as I see a JW rated at 61W and a C at 70W, both at 120V.

Superduper

Member (SA)
He doesn't know what he's talking about. They all use the exact same output chips. The differences between the C and JW version is almost certainly minor, again mostly with the power supply. Swapping parts between these 2 models will almost certainly be fine. As far as ratings go, if we take some whiteout and change the numbers in the back so that they look better, will that make one sound better than the other? The numbers are not set in stone -- they are subject to interpretation and depends entirely on how they are rated. In other words, maybe one rates it with the power supply installed in the boombox and another rates it on the bench using entirely different set of consumption parameters. The ratings will be different but both will be accurate. Also, how about if a PS with exact same components is rated at 61w at a 50% safety margin but the 70w one is rated at a 35% safety margin? Does the 70w one become more powerful as a result?

As for a power supply affecting the output capability of the boombox itself, it's plausible IF and only IF the boombox is drawing enough current to cause a droop in the supply voltage currently installed in which case, a stiffer supply that can maintain the power level will enable the boombox to perform better. Then again, if you are referring to power supply as the transformer, check them out and you'll note that they are probably identically sized. It's fair to say that a higher VA rated transformer will almost certainly be larger, as the ability of the transformer to output current depends upon the gauge of the windings and the number of turns to determine the voltage split. Thicker gauge windings take more room, so the transformer will be larger. So as long as the power supply is outputting the same voltage to the amp board (regardless of input voltage), then for all practical purposes, the boombox should roughly output the same. Anyhow, this has been discussed before, many times before already and various suffixed versions (of JVC) vs. power output is really nothing to even argue about. It's like asking how many more mm taller are you than I? Maybe it depends on what shoes you are wearing?

Bottom line, IF the power supplies are working the way they are designed, in the region they were released, then the output voltage sent to the boombox should be roughly the same and therefore, similar performance should be observed. It is after all, the voltage that the boombox sees that is important and controls how much power output it produces. Current consumed by an amplifier is supplied by the transformer based on demand (and same voltage means same current consumption) therefore, except for operating conditions where the boombox is at or near maximum volume where a voltage droop would manifest, wouldn't even be noticed. However, at maximum volume, if one power supply is stiffer, then that boombox will likely perform better.

Now, that being said, it is not uncommon for folks to use japanese domestic imported models (in this case, Victor M90) connected directly to North American voltage. Because transformers convert voltages in a set ratio, the victor model will output approximately 20% more voltage when connected to north american mains. This instantly makes the boombox feel more powerful but could risk damage to the device, especially with long term use. If you've ever ran a japanese model on USA power, you'll know what I mean... the VU's will swing higher, the boombox will feel more powerful overall, but at maximum volume, you may observe significantly greater distortion and of course the VU's will no longer be properly calibrated. This effect varies by model and manufacturer since it all depends upon how much internal regulation was designed into the boombox. The amplifier portion is typically fed unregulated power. How the rest of the boombox gets their power varies. Tuner and digital circuits typically have very precise voltage requirements and would be fed through voltage regulators (which would become stressed since they have to sink more thermal energy). Preamp and other circuits are sometimes regulated, sometimes not. I would not operate a Perdisco model on USA power without first swapping out the transformer. However, the Panasonic RX-7200 is practically a world beater with the 20% higher voltage supplied with the original japanese transformer. Just my observations.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I have the c and jw models and honestly they sound exactly the same with identical output and loudness. I would have thought the m90c would be louder at 70 watts but in reality its exactly the same.

The only time I ever experienced diminished output from these boxes was when either the function switch was dirty or the band selector switches were dirty.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
JVC Floyd said:
I have the c and jw models and honestly they sound exactly the same with identical output and loudness. I would have thought the m90c would be louder at 70 watts but in reality its exactly the same.
That throws me off too. 70W is over 10% more than 61W. Regardless of method, that's fishy. And we're not even talking about that PMPO baloney.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Reminds me of collectors / Ebay sellers who claim their GF9696 is the "more powerful version" :lol:

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
JVC Floyd said:

The only time I ever experienced diminished output from these boxes was when either the function switch was dirty or the band selector switches were dirty.
floyd is correct -exact same sweet sound :rock:

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
Bottom line is if the boards, chips and speakers are the same well...there you go.

It's interesting what Norm said about the Japanese domestic boxes. I've heard people say that Japanese domestic Victor M70s sound stronger than the US and European counterparts. If your feeding them 120v instead of 100 then I guess they would sound slightly more roided. The cost is prolonging that at high volume. It's a great point because Japanese boxes do seem to sound better.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Not sure if memory serves but didn't we come to conclusion that the difference was the amp chips were made by different manufacturers? I thought one was Panasonic and other Sanyo? I thought this was discussed in an old post? Mmmm!!!

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Hell even at 61 Watts current draw the m90 is one of most powerful one piece boomboxes ever made and by far the most powerful one piece Boombox I've ever owned. I think a good chunk of that current draw goes to the full logic deck when in use it needs plenty of instant current .

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
If you've ever ran a japanese model on USA power, you'll know what I mean...
^ Norm, I know exactly what you mean. The Victor M70 is a 100v Jap box. I always plug it in to the US 110/120v outlet and it is just a monster compared to the other M70 series blasters. I know long term is not good to over power it, but it has been holding up with no issues lurking from what I can tell. Have had it running at 1/4 volume for 9hrs straight every day for over a month.

I have also swapped parts and pieces from M90 JW's to C's and to LB's and they all work together.

The 'real' difference that effects the end user (not the end sound) is the physical voltage selector, the radio bands, and the rear panel with the input/output options.

M90JW and M90C do have a different wattage rating on the speakers though.

C wattage on the speaker is 25W:
IMG_5137.JPG

JW wattage on the speaker is 20W:
IMG_5138.JPG

LB rear panel, must use line attenuator to listen to RCA line-in through phono jacks:
IMG_3932.JPG

JW rear panel:
IMG_2297.JPG

C rear panel:
IMG_5389.JPG

Some other small things to mention, the power switch boards are different from the JW/C to LB.

JW/C power switch board:
IMG_3281.JPG

LB power switch board, DOES NOT HAVE FUSE PROTECTION:
IMG_3280.JPG

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
And here is the JVC RC-M90W rear badge:

M90W.jpg

And do you guys remember the M90 that came up for sale on ebay a few years ago that had a modified battery tray to accept 12 D batteries???

Shown here modified. Owner said he had Radio Shack modify the battery tray to 12 D's back in the day:
M90 BATTERY MOD.jpg

And stock size:
IMG_8568.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.