• Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:45 PM

Well done Royce.
Sounds like you're almost there..

Hi Rudy, Couple more things to do. 

1. I need to replace one speaker

2. The cog for the take up reel axle and supply reel axle is missing. James fixed it with a Panny part replacement. I am looking for those.

3. I need a record key that was found broken.

I have another box that is also missing #1 & #2, but the rest is in mint condition.

Excellent thread!

Thanks Reli!

If another member needs more pictures, I have more. 

#32 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:00 PM

As much as I like this box I do have a question that's starting to play on my mind somewhat:  Is this particular box the complex nightmare to work on it looks to be? 

Christine, Instead of making a bigger PC board that can utilize the length and height of the box, the designers left the speaker compartment nearly empty and filled up the middle compartment with layers of PC boards completely covering the cassette section.

So one can see only the rear of the motor and nothing else from the back.

To answer your question I can say after some explorations to the unknown territory and taking pictures, belt replacement  is not that hard as I expected.  

One has to be extra careful in the disassembly process. The top two buttons cane be damaged if it is not pulled up, turned and locked in place. It is easy to break the tuner chord pulley posts and gang wheel. Ribbon wires can get damaged if one is not careful.

When the chassis goes in the front face of the box always keep an eye on aligning the counter reset button. It can get easily stuck without coming out of the hole. If that is the case the lower part of the chassis won't fit well. Never hold on to the handle because it can easily slide out from the slots. 

Belt replacement is the only thing I did after some struggle and hiccups. Now it all became so easy for me to dismantle it and put it all back together.

One would would easily fall in love with the sound quality of this box. A little giant in every way! 

Attached Files

#33 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,779 posts
  • LocationSleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:32 PM

As much as I like this box I do have a question that's starting to play on my mind somewhat:  Is this particular box the complex nightmare to work on it looks to be? 

Christine, Instead of making a bigger PC board that can utilize the length and height of the box, the designers left the speaker compartment nearly empty and filled up the middle compartment with layers of PC boards completely covering the cassette section.

To answer your question I can say after some explorations to the unknown territory and taking pictures, belt replacement  is not that hard as I expected.  One has to be extra careful in the disassembly process. The top two buttons cane be damaged if it is not pulled up, turned and locked in place. It is easy to break the tuner chord pulley posts and gang wheel. Ribbon wires can get damaged if one is not careful. Belt replacement is the only thing I did after some struggle and hiccups. Now it all became so easy for me to dismantle it and put it all back together.

If you listen to this box one would fall in love with it. 

Many thanks for this very informative answer. :yes:  The first sentence resulted in perfect clarity to me, once I understood the layout of the boards the mental pictures fell into place so now I can re-read the thread with a little more understanding.  I've wanted to acquire one of these for some time so I'll revisit your comments should I ever find myself rollin' my sleeves up for one of these.  :yes:  :thumbsup:

#34 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:39 PM

The reel axle (cog) missing is a big issue!

I just saw this nice thread.

http://boomboxery.co...table-assembly/

I had the same issue mate, I ended up taking the spindles from an Aiwa 950 parts box i had (the deck was long since fubar) as they were incredibly similar and in great shape, plays perfect.

I keep decks from any parts box i find and buy them in any shape at bootsales just for aerials/decks/buttons etc so i have quite a spares box, if you have any trouble finding them let me know, i'll compare my spares to my 9998 and find a suitable set and send em to you.

Hi T-Ster, Thanks! If you find a pair please PM me. Two would be nice for the time being but need two more for my other M9998. I checked it today and that one is also missing the cogs. 

To answer your question I can say after some explorations to the unknown territory and taking pictures, belt replacement  is not that hard as I expected. 

One has to be extra careful in the disassembly process. The top two buttons cane be damaged if it is not pulled up, turned and locked in place. It is easy to break the tuner chord pulley posts and gang wheel. Ribbon wires can get damaged if one is not careful.

When the chassis goes in the front face of the box always keep an eye on aligning the counter reset button. It can get easily stuck without coming out of the hole. If that is the case the lower part of the chassis won't fit well. Never hold on to the handle because it can easily slide out from the slots.

Belt replacement is the only thing I did after some struggle and hiccups. Now it all became so easy for me to dismantle it and put it all back together.

One would would easily fall in love with the sound quality of this box. A little giant in every way!

Many thanks for this very informative answer. :yes:  The first sentence resulted in perfect clarity to me, once I understood the layout of the boards the mental pictures fell into place so now I can re-read the thread with a little more understanding.  I've wanted to acquire one of these for some time so I'll revisit your comments should I ever find myself rollin' my sleeves up for one of these.  :yes:  :thumbsup:

I added more information in that section. 

#35 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:42 PM

I added more information in that section. 

:thumbsup:

#36 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:42 PM

jimmyjimmy19702010 -James send me the tips and key from AU!

Thank you James!  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:

No more fear to replace belts on an M9998!

I can do it in my sleep. hahaha! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#37 markoneswift

markoneswift
  • Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationAotearoa New Zealand

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:11 PM

Man I had forgotten how tight everything is inside that model. Mine gave up on me and no end of troubleshooting could bring it back. Ended up taking it to the dump, in pieces. A sad day !

#38 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:48 PM

Man I had forgotten how tight everything is inside that model. Mine gave up on me and no end of troubleshooting could bring it back. Ended up taking it to the dump, in pieces. A sad day !

Did you consider saving it, or at least parts of it, as a donor box?  I've seen a few of these for sale that require a resto and/or have missing parts.

#39 markoneswift

markoneswift
  • Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationAotearoa New Zealand

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:08 PM

Did you consider saving it, or at least parts of it, as a donor box?  I've seen a few of these for sale that require a resto and/or have missing parts.

Yes I did, but being so far away from everyone an also lack of storage due to moving house, kind of made me decide to get ri of it. I got really frustrated with it an found that actually purging myself of it made me a whole lot happier in the end. I don't like being beaten by things but life and family got in the way at the time and I didn't want the Sanyo sat on my bench saying 'fix me, fix me' in my ear whilst trying to concentrate on other stuff.

#40 Cpl-Chronic

Cpl-Chronic
  • Members
  • 1,841 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:10 AM

Nice detailed breakdown...Now I know I'll never fix a Sanyo deck....I'm not that handy..=/

Cpl

#41 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:44 AM

Those 4 white deck function switches are internally spring loaded and flip backwards when you remove the small PC board. We have to move it forward so that it works with the tape function levers, when you put that board with the switches and mount the board with two tiny screws.

I used an old credit card to move them all the same way and place it over the tape function levers to mount the board. A metal bracket holds that small board.

It is very easy to lose those tiny screws in the box. Use a magnetized screw driver for those tiny screws. Or simply magnetize one by making strokes on a magnet. Just drag the screw driver tip from one pole to the other pole of a magnet, lift it away from the magnet and repeat the process like 25 times to make the screw driver magnetic. 

Attached Files

#42 docs

docs
  • Members
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

Awesome!!! It's so great when a big issue actually is only something small ;-)

Exactly! Thanks Bill! 

Now I have lots and lots of additional pictures to share if another member needs help.

Now I noticed that the dishonest seller didn't say anything about one bad speaker and missing reel drive axle tips (cogs). Yuck!

I need to find the reel tips and also a speaker for this M9998. 

I've used these from a sharp 9090 deck before which work perfectly. Others with spring and clip on function will work too I'm sure.

#43 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:59 AM

The spring and C clip won't work here because there is no slot on the axle for the C clip.

The tip from 9090 that James (jimmyjimmy19702010) send me for free from Australia fits there with friction. So it is a spring loaded friction held tip. 

#44 Hisrudeness

Hisrudeness
  • Members
  • 1,330 posts
  • LocationSouth East London UK

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:13 PM

I can see now why this model was such a big ticket item in the late 70s (well over $400) so much engineering!

#45 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:17 PM

I can see now why this model was such a big ticket item in the late 70s (well over $400) so much engineering!

Amazing sound quality if the unit works well on tape and radio....sound is unbelievable from a boombox of that size.

Once your listen to the audio quality on tape.....
sound quality is Super! Gorgeous unit!

#46 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 2,996 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:34 PM

IMHO, the early Sanyo models had some of the best sounding amps. Not the most powerful but the sweetest sounding. I read somewhere that the late 70s Sanyo amps were based on a low powered Sanyo home stereo amp design.

The M4500, M9990, M9994, M9998 all have a similar style of balanced sound that makes for easy listening for extended listening sessions.

If you want more power or huge bass, then you'll have to look elsewhere.