Sanyo M-X315L Boombox

Status
Not open for further replies.

kast0r

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2017
howdy all.. ive been given a Sanyo M-X315L, its not really working..
ive been thinking of gutting it and making a bluetooth radio,

heres my original post, its on reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/diyaudio/comments/5l0emz/vintage_sanyo_mx315l_boombox/

So Ive come across this old Sanyo M-X315L Boombox.. The FM, MW and LW radio dosent work, the tape player still works fine but is quite dull and low.
Ive thought about trying to repair it and bring it back to its original state, but ive seen that someone has already modded it from its original state so im not feeling too guilty about what 21st century potential I could give it.
https://goo.gl/photos/XbicfmzYs1P2eaJFA
So, basically.. Im looking to make it an FM radio again, im not too worried about the Medium or Long Wave, Im thinking of adding Bluetooth to the overall project in order to connect from laptop or phone..
There are a couple of Class D amplifiers that have both bluetooth and FM recievers built in, come with a remote, so the IR on the board would have to be rerouted somewhere to be visable through the case, lithium ion battery and im trying to think what other bells and whistles i might be able to apply to have a bit of fun..
Anyone have any ideas?
Basically, im looking for suggestions, amplifiers that would suit, im not sure what the rating of the drivers/speakers are until i open up the case.. or if anyone has links to diy music boxes that have been made and i can go researching for myself?
Cheers in advance.
I then go on to say the following.

I just remembered I have a Sure Electronics, Stereo 100w amp knocking about here somewhere.. while i know thats way too much power for something like this, i could get separate (and very cheep, so im sure ill find problems) module for Bluetooth, FM and MP3 much like the following.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-5V-LED-Auto-Bluetooth-MP3-Decode-Board-Digital-Amplifier-board-SD-USB-FM-/371798928508?hash=item5690f16c7c:g:F0cAAOSwA3dYOGoc
then i just need to get some appropriate sized, full range speakers and see what the audio is like.
IM guessing that the bluetooth distance wont be too far with these types of modules, the antenna looks terrible.
There is a recognised formula for calculating antenna length/frequency, which is (without going into detail) 300/frequency - i.e. 300/150(MHz) will give you 2 metres. As Bluetooth devices work at frequencies of around 2450MHz, the formula will give you an antenna length of +/- 12cm. This figure then has to be divided by 4 to give us a quarter wave antenna, which will be 30mm in length
so, technically I could take 30mm of rigid copper wire, drill a small hole in the bluetooth pcb at the start of the antenna path, let it sit into the hole, solder it into place and then hotglue it to secure it.. This should give me optimum range for the chipset.
Then again, if the phone has a crap chipset thats going to hold me back regardles!
basically i cant find out anything, repair manual etc..
so im kinda pushing myself towards modding it but before i do im seeing what i can find out here first..

Thanks all.

kast0r

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2017
Thanks!

Essentially there is no radio, fm or otherwise, but there is tape playing in a very dull manner.

I'm seeing if I can locate the service manual for the box so I can try determine what I'm looking at, that or in just going to gut it, stick the internals on the forum incase someone needs them.. Then modify it with a large amp, speakers and Bluetooth/mp3/FM module.

Status
Not open for further replies.