Photo

The baddest boombox ever DEVIALET PHANTOM GOLD ($3000).

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 panabox1

panabox1
  • Members (SA)
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:25 PM

Check this thing out guys. It sounds better than systems costing $50,000 plus. The reviewer said this speaker has the deepest and most powerful bass he has ever heard in a standalone speaker. It goes down to 14hz. These can be ordered through apple. Some apple stores have them on display.
http://www.stevehuff...#comment-413562

#2 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationSleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:01 PM

Dear me, I'm pleased you told me that was a speaker otherwise I'd never have known.  (Tsk, what ever next, huh?)

#3 JustCruisin

JustCruisin
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,098 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:11 PM

http://www.stevehuff...-7.50.29-AM.png

#4 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,593 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:40 PM

4500 watts lol.  PMPO maybe, and even then it's BS.

Also nobody can hear above 18-20 kHz unless they're still a teenager, so there's no need for a tweeter than can put out 27 kHz

And most people want speakers that look good, not just sound good.

#5 panabox1

panabox1
  • Members (SA)
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:57 PM

4500 watts lol.  PMPO maybe, and even then it's BS.

Also nobody can hear above 18-20 kHz unless they're still a teenager, so there's no need for a tweeter than can put out 27 kHz

And most people want speakers that look good, not just sound good.

Did u you get a chance to read the review in the link I provided?

#6 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 10,806 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee, U.S.A.

Posted 25 December 2016 - 08:08 AM

That whole review reads like one of those 30-minute infomercials you see on early morning Sunday TV.  Naturally, the guy includes a link to Amazon with his affiliate ID.

Are we really supposed to believe that people pay $10,000 for a pre amp, $50,000 for a pair of speakers, and $3,500 for a CD player?

#7 redbenjoe

redbenjoe

I Am Legend

• Eternal Order of Boom
  • 17,995 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:06 AM

how many C cells ?

#8 ralrein1

ralrein1
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationShasta County in the real Northern Kalifornia

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:01 PM

Can you say uber egg. Silly looking things. A fool and his money are soon parted.I.M.H.O.

#9 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,593 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:11 PM

WTF does "Devialet" mean?  If they had called it Deviant, it would actually mean something.

#10 panabox1

panabox1
  • Members (SA)
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:14 PM

Can you say uber egg. Silly looking things. A fool and his money are soon parted.I.M.H.O.

Have you actually heard it to be able to imply that it's buyers are fools?

#11 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,559 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:23 PM

You're appealing to the wrong crowd. :lol:

#12 JustCruisin

JustCruisin
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,098 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:27 PM

You're appealing to the wrong crowd. :lol:

:agree: it's not even a boombox..?

#13 panabox1

panabox1
  • Members (SA)
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:28 PM

I'd just thought I'd share it. The technology, reviews, portability and its "egg" shape (think Panasonic) might be of interest to someone on here besides myself. I thinks it's an awesome piece of technology that very well could trickle down to the true boomboxes usually found on these forums.

#14 -GZ-

-GZ-
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationBoom Central

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:41 PM

I'd just thought I'd share it. The technology, reviews, portability and its "egg" shape (think Panasonic) might be of interest to someone on here besides myself. I thinks it's an awesome piece of technology that very well could trickle down to the true boomboxes usually found on these forums.

Probably shouldn't have titled this thread "baddest boombox ever". That compounded the confusion of what that thing actually is. I'm still confused.

#15 panabox1

panabox1
  • Members (SA)
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:10 PM

Perhaps. I see it as a boombox in its own right due to its portability albeit an A/C only one. I also see it as the future of speakers in many ways.

#16 ford93

ford93
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationFormer New Yorker

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:07 PM

I agree if you would had titled the thread differently then you would have had a different response from the members here.

As to these I'd rather stick to my rectangular Klipsch!

Thanks anyway panabox 1 for posting. :-)

#17 panabox1

panabox1
  • Members (SA)
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:55 PM

You're welcome Ford93 . 

Here's a video showing the amazing technology behind it all

#18 trippy1313

trippy1313
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationSeattle-Tacoma, WA

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:40 PM

how many C cells ?

C cells. Hahahahaha

#19 trippy1313

trippy1313
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationSeattle-Tacoma, WA

Posted 26 December 2016 - 11:51 PM

there's no need for a tweeter than can put out 27 kHz

That's so the dogs and cats can enjoy the music too. Everyone knows they love that high pitched music.

#20 Lasonic TRC-920

Lasonic TRC-920
  • Moderators
  • 14,058 posts
  • LocationNaples, Italy

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:30 PM

This is a product for the super rich who have run out of things to spend their money on. It's a conversation piece.

But it all needs to be put into context...

The Sharp GF-777z was $800.00 in 1981, that's $2,192 today and Sharp sold a TON of them.

Diamondboxx has the XL for sale at $1699.00 (not my style). Time will tell is they sell any of those in quantity.

We have watched collectors spend big money, $1,000, $1,500 even $2,000 and above on a classic radio (Gold C-100's, M90's, Silver JVC-550's) and that seems normal to us.

I don't think the $3,000 price tag is the issue. I think the issue is the design. In my opinion, I wouldn't set that thing in the back garden behind my shed. I don't care what it sounds like. Now, if someone came out with an over the top, rectangle with 1970's build quality, 1980's design features and 2020's technology, $3,000 would still seem expensive, but I would at least feel like if I could afford it, it would be worth working towards.

This thing is just another egg waiting to get the shotgun treatment!

#21 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:50 PM

This is the line I was expecting and Chris, you didn't disappoint! :lol: :lol:

#22 ralrein1

ralrein1
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationShasta County in the real Northern Kalifornia

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:57 PM

Right on Chris! My Mossberg 930SPX would love a crack at em too.😄😄😄

#23 Lasonic TRC-920

Lasonic TRC-920
  • Moderators
  • 14,058 posts
  • LocationNaples, Italy

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:35 PM

This is the line I was expecting and Chris, you didn't disappoint! :lol: :lol:

Right on Chris! My Mossberg 930SPX would love a crack at em too.

We like what we like....all others BEWARE!  :annoyed:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#24 Line Out

Line Out
  • Members (SA)
  • 245 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:12 PM

I've read a review about the Phantom Silver (from the most notable HiFi-magazine in Finland). The speaker costs 2000€ here. Don't know about the Gold. Just visited their site and the power claims are a bit odd indeed.

The magazine titled it "A superspeaker from the future". They measured it at 105dB at the listening spot. And thats with the bass notes hitting 30Hz pretty much without attenuation. It weighs only 11 kg. Measured power usage was 16W in the stand-by and 30-120W in use. Though it seems there is no additional battery packs at all. So its not really a "portable" speaker.

https://store.devial...er-phantom.html
https://store.devial...ld-phantom.html

#25 caution

caution
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,926 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:48 PM

Perhaps. I see it as a boombox in its own right due to its portability albeit an A/C only one. I also see it as the future of speakers in many ways.

Batteries make a box portable. If AC is portability, then what isn't portable to you? Any home stereo or appliance that needs an outlet is now "portable"

I can't think of one way these are the future of speakers, but you know of many. I can't get past how this is only one company, and nobody even knows how they work. Perhaps Devialet will keep it that way, and opt for the money rolling in from the "haves." 

#26 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:24 PM

It kinda looks like a giant hearing aid. :lol:

#27 panabox1

panabox1
  • Members (SA)
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:53 PM

Thought I'd share. This is of the less powerful version at 3000W, the silver phantoms, but the review is impressive nonetheless. http://www.soundstag...om-loudspeakers

#28 Sel The Don

Sel The Don
  • Members (SA)
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBursa, Turkey

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:01 AM

I've actually demo'd these, the Silver and the Gold as I was out to buy a new set of speakers.

I wasn't particularly impressed although the bass did go pretty deep there wasn't enough 'oomph' in it, and the highs sounded harsh to my ears.  Midrange was washed out because the bass and treble are vying for action.

Build quality is exceptional.  The two round 'domes' you see are the subs, and when they're moving air and you put your hand on the Phantom you feel absolutely no vibrations.  That I liked.

Definitely not worth the money they're asking for but the marketing is geared towards younger buyers with cash to burn.  It looks good in the flesh so will appeal to that market.

#29 panabox1

panabox1
  • Members (SA)
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:11 PM

I've actually demo'd these, the Silver and the Gold as I was out to buy a new set of speakers.

I wasn't particularly impressed although the bass did go pretty deep there wasn't enough 'oomph' in it, and the highs sounded harsh to my ears.  Midrange was washed out because the bass and treble are vying for action.

Build quality is exceptional.  The two round 'domes' you see are the subs, and when they're moving air and you put your hand on the Phantom you feel absolutely no vibrations.  That I liked.

Definitely not worth the money they're asking for but the marketing is geared towards younger buyers with cash to burn.  It looks good in the flesh so will appeal to that market.

Thanks for sharing. Could u tell a difference between the silver vs the gold? And what kind of speakers did you end up buying?

#30 Sel The Don

Sel The Don
  • Members (SA)
  • 201 posts
  • LocationBursa, Turkey

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:10 AM

Thanks for sharing. Could u tell a difference between the silver vs the gold? And what kind of speakers did you end up buying?

The difference was negligible to be honest, the gold sounded a little warmer, richer.

I ended up demo'ing 6-7 speakers ranging from Dali Speakers to the Devialets.  I went for pair of Q Acoustics 3050's as they were punching well above their weight in terms of sound reproduction, bass and price.  Awesome speakers.