• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,598 posts
  • LocationSleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:24 PM

I've been a bit quite recently as I've been very busy creating Phase 1 of my Boom Room.  It's a task I didn't find easy as it's not something I'm used to although I have worked with wood before and have basic 'DIY' skills but I didn't anticipate the blisters, broken nails, perspiration or stress involved but I got there in the end. :yes:

Phase 1 consists of 4 deep shelves on one wall and 3 shallow shelves on the opposing wall in a room size of 3m x 2m/10' x 6.5' approximately.  My first dilemma was a desire for shelving with no upright supports getting in the way or interrupting the visual flow of the display, this would also maximise usable shelf space.  As the walls are made of some kind of grey composite material ('ash block'?) I needed to go way overboard on shelf supports as I'd selected a standard right-angle design with no bracing strut, the struts would have got in the way of my BB display.

First Job: Mark out the walls and drill all the holes for the supports making allowances for concealed electric wiring.
Attached File  01DSCF2946asfw.jpg   37.94K   5 downloads

Next, paint the walls and then fit the brackets:
Attached File  05DSCF2925asfw.jpg   59.34K   4 downloads

The next step was to make a nice cup of tea to calm myself down after I saw the mess I was making once the woodwork was started:

Attached File  19DSCF2969asfw.jpg   121.14K   6 downloads

Woodwork being completed it was time for painting and this required 2 coats or primer/undercoat with 6 hours between coats then two top coats of satin gloss needing 4 hours between coats.  Each coat took 3 hours to apply to all surfaces as it was an awkward space to manoeuvre long shelves around prior to them being fitted.  To save time, I applied one coat of paint to all surfaces and then took time off to eat & sleep so this set the routine until all the painting was done. :yes:

Shelves were fitted to the supports, radios were displayed and another cup of tea was made by way of a celebration drink whilst I admired the fruits of my labours:

Attached File  DSCF2993asfw.jpg   105.52K   6 downloads

Attached File  DSCF2993basfw.jpg   107.65K   6 downloads

Attached File  DSCF2999asfw.jpg   93.42K   5 downloads

You can see more pics on this Dropbox link, just 'press to continue' when the pop-up log-in screen shows and you'll be taken to the pics. I could only squeeze 35 BB's on these particular shelves so I've also posted pics of some of my other boxer boxes on temporary shelves elsewhere.  So far I have collected 53 BB's (excluding donor/parts boxes and this is the first time I've seen so many of my BB's on display at once.  Phase 2, Phase 3 & Phase 4 of my BB display arrangements may be needed sooner than I thought!  Sorry to disappoint the hardened BB veterans but I have no really big hitters yet, I need a little longer for this. 

As well as the materials I had to invest in some tools so now I have these ready for the next phase and I'll post the details when this is ready.  The big downside was the MESS! :w00t:  Saw dust and wood shavings I can cope with as gravity tends to leave these in a small area making a clean-up relatively easy but the fine grey dust from drilling the walls went all over the house even tough I kept doors closed so now it's a case of clean, clean, clean! :yes:   All in all it took me the best part of three weeks to do this allowing for a couple of days rest and time for the blisters on my hands to disappear (twice).

#2 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:40 PM

Holy crap thats fantastic. I'm a carpenter by trade and I'm way too lazy to do all that lol.
I dont know a of another woman that does that kind of work especially to the extent you have. All I can say is killer job.

#3 im_alan_partridge

im_alan_partridge
  • Members
  • 3,006 posts
  • LocationLondon, England.

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:12 PM

Wow, this really is some great work :yes:  Proper dedication right there.

Also i must say i had no idea you had so many boxes, a collection is all about personal taste and your boxes show you have plenty of that.

#4 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:43 PM

Holy crap thats fantastic. I'm a carpenter by trade and I'm way too lazy to do all that lol.
I dont know a of another woman that does that kind of work especially to the extent you have. All I can say is killer job.

Thank you very much!  The shelf material is 12mm plywood as this has a high weight-to-strength ratio and the front softwood edging for the shelves I had rebated by the timber merchant.  The problem was that the machinist made the rebate too deep so my neighbour gave me an old Stanley no.78 rebate plane but with missing parts.  I bought the missing parts off eBay then used the rebate plate to level the lip flush with the shelving - it took forever!  I also bought a router for the job but found it rather heavy and cumbersome so this went back in the box.

My late mother taught me decorating during my teen years and learning about woodwork as an extra curriculum activity whilst in college has helped much over the years as I like my independence.  :yes:  :thumbsup:

Wow, this really is some great work :yes:  Proper dedication right there.

Also i must say i had no idea you had so many boxes, a collection is all about personal taste and your boxes show you have plenty of that.

Space is limited for me so I'm trying to acquire a range of different styles of BB's for my collection, even a few cheapo ones if they offer something reflective of The Golden Era of Boomboxery.  I may manage 90 or so if space permits.  Many thanks for the complimentary words.

#5 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 10,939 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee, U.S.A.

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:09 PM

Dang, that's a lot of work!  Most excellent craftsmanship - especially the vertical spacing between rows.  :cool:

#6 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 07:02 PM

Dang, that's a lot of work!  Most excellent craftsmanship - especially the vertical spacing between rows.  :cool:

Thank, Fatdog.  The shelf spacings vary to accommodate the differing heights of BB's thereby maximising the wall area to best effect.  Sadly, the relatively low ceiling height didn't offer the extra space needed for a Handles Up Salute of the BB display.  The middle shelf of the 3 shelf arrangement is designed for taller BB's as they arrive in due course so I've doubled up with lower height boxes in the meantime but minis will eventually have their own dedicated area.

I'll be approaching Phase 2 soon which will see the lower half of the room made ready for other audio from the 70's/80's along with cassette, vinyl & CD storage, surround sound, extension speakers etc. so there's still a way to go.  :yes:

#7 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 10,939 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee, U.S.A.

Posted 22 December 2016 - 07:15 PM

That's going to be quite the room when finished.  I'm excited to see how you build out the lower half.  :yes: :cool:

#8 redbenjoe

redbenjoe

I Am Legend

• Eternal Order of Boom
  • 17,827 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 22 December 2016 - 07:22 PM

your results are beautiful and i know you are very very very proud of your great work -

i love the story about your need to borrow a planer and then order/wait for the parts --

and then there were the 50 other speed bumps and mountains you didnt mention ...

you are the ultimate collector  :clap:  :clap:  :bow:  :thumbsup:  :drool:  :rock:  :rock:

#9 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 07:53 PM

your results are beautiful and i know you are very very very proud of your great work -

i love the story about your need to borrow a planer and then order/wait for the parts --

and then there were the 50 other speed bumps and mountains you didnt mention ...

you are the ultimate collector  :clap:  :clap:  :bow:  :thumbsup:  :drool:  :rock:  :rock:

Aw, thanks - and you're absolutely right about all the trials and tribulations along the way but planning and preparation was the key.  The material the walls are made of can loosen around the drill bit as drilling occurs thereby enlarging the hole by a tiny amount and this is not good as it can affect the grip of the wall plugs so.........after all 348 ( :w00t:) holes were drilled I vacuumed out all remaining loose material out of each hole and inserted a small amount of filler immediately before inserting each plug.  I was beginning to feel a bit obsessive or paranoid about it all but it had to be done,  Knots in the wood had to be sealed prior to painting, dust induced sneezing had to be allowed for, gritty eyes washed out......................I mean, even stirring the acrylic primer/undercoat took me almost an hour - it had set like toffee in the bottom of the paint tin!  Thank goodness for gallons of strong Yorkshire tea to see me through!  :yes:

#10 Lasonic TRC-920

Lasonic TRC-920
  • Moderators
  • 13,108 posts
  • LocationNaples, Italy

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:16 PM

MyOhMyMyOhMyOhMyOhMyOhMyOhMyOhMyOhMyOhMy

:jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:  :jawdrop:

HOLY MOLY! That is a TON of work! I never even came close to that many wall brackets and shelves and my Boomroom was a MONSTER job!

:bow: Mega Respect  :bow:

I had no idea you has so many radios. Of course this isn't about grails, era's, styles or quantity it's about PASSION and you have LOTS OF PASSION! 

I have to go see those other pictures!  :w00t:

#11 THAFUZZ

THAFUZZ
  • Members
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:22 PM

Ms.Christine, that's fantastic work. I a very impressed with both the shelving, and the collection of radios acquired so far. Excellent!

#12 ralrein1

ralrein1
  • Members
  • 799 posts
  • LocationShasta County in the real Northern Kalifornia

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:17 PM

Well what can I say,that the others haven't already said? Just that you have done one hell of an awesome job!!! Really killer set up and execution of all fasets(is that how you spell that?)of an impressive job. Your collection is outstanding as well! Seems you've been holding out on us with the pictures of your acquisitions as they come in.
Keep up the GREAT work!!!You rock!

#13 JustCruisin

JustCruisin
  • Members
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:45 PM

Great job with the shelves and what not..:yes:
But, I only thought you had like 5-6 radios!

#14 mancardo

mancardo
  • Members
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationAZ U.S.

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:53 PM

Very nice job!!! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: 

#15 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 12,614 posts
  • LocationIn the middle of nowhere!!

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:08 PM

Now that's awesome and definitely looked like tons of work but very sturdy!!!

#16 Radio-Active

Radio-Active
  • Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:09 PM

Wow! Great job!
I'd love to have a cup of tea in there!!!

#17 ford93

ford93
  • Members
  • 2,499 posts
  • LocationFormer New Yorker

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:16 PM

Speechless!

I bet you are right now saying to yourself I kicked some serious ass!!

Nice collection by the way.

#18 trippy1313

trippy1313
  • Members
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationSeattle-Tacoma, WA

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:21 PM

Way to go! I knew you jumped into collecting, but I wasn't aware you had so many!

Grest job, you used a ton of brackets. Those should hold everything you need them to! Looks awesome M.O.M.

#19 -GZ-

-GZ-
  • Members
  • 2,378 posts
  • LocationBoom Central

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:31 PM

I don't even know where to begin!?
Ms. Christine you have done nothing but pleasantly surprise me since your first days on this site. Fantastic work.
35 boomboxes!? Did I miss 30 of your threads!?
Excellent craftsmanship and dedication.
Unreal.
The only thing missing is a picture of YOU! I've got to get a face to go with your name. Youre like some sort of enigma. You are one unbelievable mysterious woman!
Glad you found us.

#20 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members
  • 3,780 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:01 AM

Christine...you are awesome

That's all I need to say :-)

#21 goodman

goodman
  • Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:17 AM

Very nice job!!! :yes: Congrats for this big collection!!!  :thumbsup: 

#22 T-STER

T-STER
  • Members
  • 1,108 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:05 AM

Daaaaaaaamn :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

I'm a little late to the party but that is so much work !!! I am stunned and a little embarassed, I got a contractor in from work recently to do my shelves as i was nervous of putting so many boxes on shelves i had fitted and i consider myself pretty handy !!!

I can't beleive you A: did so much work and B: Have that many boxes

There are some great iconic boxes in there to, stunning. Like GZ said we just need a pic of you with a boomer now to put a face to the enigma. Well done on such an amazing job.

#23 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members
  • 3,780 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:16 AM

It was all made possible because she was drinking proper Yorkshire Tea :-)

#24 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:42 AM

Dear me, there's a lot of compliments for me to digest, I tend to live a somewhat quiet life and now I have all this attention - many, MANY thanks to you all!  :blush:  :-)  :thumbsup:

I now have a Sanyo M9990 on the way as well as another Sharp GF-9000 although I'll be gifting the GF-9000 to another member - but only after I've drooled over it myself for a few days!  :-D  :lol:

Building up my collection and constructing the shelving have both been a slow burning passion, "I don't like to rush things at my age" is the best way I can explain my approach as I seem to think twice and act once these days.  Like I said previously, I didn't find it an easy job, it was quite physically demanding so it was a bit at a time over three weeks rather than the weekend you guy's would probably take with a job like this. :yes:  ;-)

Having re-read the comments so far, I've looked again at the shelving and I think I've even surprised myself with the results. :yes:  The scary thing is, I've now set a standard for myself that I have to maintain - GULP! :-O  :w00t:  That all being said, you guys have shown some very impressive displays I admire greatly and, with this inspiration, I felt I had to try my utmost to do the best I could (YouTube vids and DIY manuals deserve a their share of credit too).  Tomorrow I'll finish off the little painting that's left to do, namely the skirting boards and around the window but I have a question you guys could help me out with: when I paint, is it good practice  or customary to splash spots of white paint on my BB's or not, huh?  :-D  :-D  :-D  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#25 Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller
  • Members
  • 919 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg, Russia

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:47 AM

Great job, really great - Respect!!  :thumbsup:  :yes:  :-)

#26 Nickeccles

Nickeccles
  • Members
  • 252 posts
  • LocationLittlehampton West Sussex

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:19 PM

Wow!

Superb job! I have wonderful little windowless room, perfect for this but am unable to shelve like that even before I became ill..............Anyone want to do my room?? lol

#27 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:32 PM

Wow!

Superb job! I have wonderful little windowless room, perfect for this but am unable to shelve like that even before I became ill..............Anyone want to do my room?? lol

Go for it if you're able to or have a friend willing to help.  I mean, it's not as if I built a huge wall-to-wall bookcase and then moved it into place as all I did was handle small lightweight parts and put them together in situ (just like child's bricks or a jigsaw puzzle).

If you're concerned about the risk of damaging your wall as you may not be experienced then practice drilling into a spare brick (if this is what your wall is made from) outside and so become familiar with the process of selecting the correct drill bit/plug/screw combination or......learn from a friend if you can.  The key is the planning, good planning produces a good result.  I would imagine that my shelving may have doubled in price had I got a professional in for the work so a bit of DIY can save quite a lot of money.  If there's a health reason holding you back then see if you can 'trade' the work/skills with someone who may be more able or skilled and needs a little help themselves that you could provide?  Good luck, I wish you every success. 

#28 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members
  • 3,780 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:30 AM

One of my tasks this Christmas is to put up some more boombox shelves over the fireplace in my work room. I'm using 9" by 2" solid wood so they'll be really hefty! Total cost will be nowt as I'm using wood given to me by a friendly neighbour...he's a plasterer and there's lots of clean new wood being chucked so he's bringing it all to me for firewood as he spotted that I'd had a woodburner stove fitted the other day. This wood is way to good to chop up though!

#29 crazygamer

crazygamer
  • Members
  • 490 posts
  • LocationEstonia, Tallinn

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:03 AM

Excellent, excellent work there, it´s very motivational to see someone´s boom room wall or a nice setup, gives me a good feeling and smile on face as well.  :yes:  :thumbsup:  :drool:

#30 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 12,614 posts
  • LocationIn the middle of nowhere!!

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:11 AM

Dear me, there's a lot of compliments for me to digest, I tend to live a somewhat quiet life and now I have all this attention - many, MANY thanks to you all! :blush: :-) :thumbsup:

I now have a Sanyo M9990 on the way as well as another Sharp GF-9000 although I'll be gifting the GF-9000 to another member - but only after I've drooled over it myself for a few days! :-D

Oh your so sweet and thank you as I've been really wanting a Sharp GF9000/GF535 :-)