Mesmerizing Magnetic Media aka (R2R)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
2 Years ago I had the privilege of replacing the capstan belt on my Teac X7. The hubs are direct drive so only one belt with no idler tires or pulleys. A truly fantastic R2R machine. I fire it up at least every two weeks to eliminate flat spots on my new belt.

Ever since I was 2 years old, I remembered falling asleep to the motion of two rotating massive 10 inch reels slowly making their way around while listening to the music and watching the dual VU meters sway back and forth at my uncles house. I used to try and determine the exact time the tape was even...meaning the two reels were traveling at the exact same speed. Then....slowly the take up reel would slow while the supply started moving faster.

We here on Boomboxery have the ultimate privilege in knowing that we were all a part of analog at it's finest. The modern day electronics lose their luster when it comes to that mesmerizing mechanical magnetic marvel of media known as the Reel to Reel. Much like Jukeboxes, part of the entertainment was the machine itself...not just the music.

Here is a snippet of my Teac R2R for its bi-weekly workout. My monitors are Teac LS-H265. Together they create a warm bass response with smooth highs. What a wonderful way to spend the evening and give the portables a rest :-)

As always click No Thanks Continue to video link if the sign in or create a dropbox account dialog pops up on you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gy290m169qofdjb/20161216_221946.mp4?dl=0

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
Very nice. Love R2R's (who doesn't?). :drool:

I have some model of Teac with my name on it sitting in a closet in Concord, MA that I have yet to collect. My mother's husband gave it to me, but I really don't have the room. He's had it since he purchased it new back in the 70's. I have yet to lay eyes on it, but I'll pick it up eventually.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
ralrein1 said:
Nice vid too short,but nice vid.Reel awesome machine you've got there.
You're right. I need to record a longer video shot. 15 minutes after this video I fell asleep..lol. My wife came through at 8 o'clock AM long after things had stopped and turned everything off. I had been watching it for almost an hour at the point where I shot the video that night.

Something about them just makes me fall asleep. :lol:

superlew said:
Very nice. Love R2R's (who doesn't?). :drool:

I have some model of Teac with my name on it sitting in a closet in Concord, MA that I have yet to collect. My mother's husband gave it to me, but I really don't have the room. He's had it since he purchased it new back in the 70's. I have yet to lay eyes on it, but I'll pick it up eventually.
Teac is a very good brand along with Akai and Pioneer in the R2R department. I'm not sure who makes Teac. Maybe a division of Panasonic/Technics?

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Great vid and a beautiful machine, makes me want to get a r2r of my own to watch..

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
T-STER said:
Great vid and a beautiful machine, makes me want to get a r2r of my own to watch..
Haha. T-STER. We're following each other back and forth between S2G and here. Love both sites :-) I appreciate your kind response

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Hehe yeah, i commented on the other but still felt compelled to say it again!

It really is amazing to watch and its sooo clean. The sound is surprising to, very good indeed. I have never owned a R2R but we did have them at school . I might have to keep my eye out. I do see them occasionally at the flea market or bootsale but they always look in such bad shape.

Yours is stunning, i can see why you would sit and gaze at it.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
T-STER said:
Yours is stunning, i can see why you would sit and gaze at it.
Much appreciated. I see really nice Akai machines on eBay and Pioneers that have beautiful blue digital tape counters and readouts and auto-reverse. Some of the better Teac line go all the way up to over 4 grand! Man those are nice....just way more than I can spend :-)

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
The joy of recording on a Reel must be soooo gratifying!

I never owned one but love that you can record hours of sweet analog recordings.

Nowadays it's all about digital I have fallen into that world too unfortunately, but I still do record from time to time on my Tascam B-122 tape deck and just love to hear the finish product plus the challenge in recording that makes it so rewarding.

Many nowadays prefer to just download and play. It seems that the digital world are making people lazy and not appreciate music as it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.