JVC RC-838 II Level meter not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELzekio

Member (SA)
Nov 20, 2016
Hello everyone. I recently obtained a JVC RC-838 that was by no means in perfect condition. Ive been doing lots of work to it by cleaning the switches and rebuilding the sliders but I'm still left with a couple of nagging problems.

First big thing is only the right level meter will work when you want to have the VU meters represent how much sound is going to the speakers. I know that the left VU meter is not faulty because when i press down the battery check switch the left meter will flick over but once again it will not do anything when the volume is high enough so that it should move around.

I also seem to have a small issue with the power switch but I'm not sure if it is really a problem or not. When I'm in the radio mode and i flick the power switch off i get a small pop threw the speakers right before it turns off. When i turn it back on i get a pop but not as loud. I believe when i turn the boombox off i can see the right vu meter move a little bit witch would mean that some signal is being amplified when the unit is turned off.

Here is a link to the mark 1 service manual. I have the JW 2 though, but they are very similar. Only differences i think are slight differences in the circuitry of the amp board.

http://www.stereo2go.com/fileSendAction/fcType/0/fcOid/263906035085199338/filePointer/268128371213334906/fodoid/268128371213334902/JVC-RC838.pdf

Once again I'm not sure if that is a problem or not, as it may just be the way it is supposed to be but if anyone of you guys would mind giving me a few pointers in why exactly my boombox has these two issues that would be great.

ELzekio

Member (SA)
Nov 20, 2016
I know i redid all the joints on the right board, but not the left one. As i look at the left one from inside the boombox it looks like they are all in good shape but I suppose i could re touch those when i take it apart again.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Honestly most of the time on these the only faults are because the switches need a good cleaning. I know you said you cleaned them but sometimes and especially with top mounted controls you need to try and clean them a few times or even take switches apart to manually clean. I would especially work on function switch and even power switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.