Heaviest Boombox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbenjoe

I Am Legend
May 6, 2009
florida
once upon a time .....
i had an original aiwa 3 piece box " carry compound " it was 100% metal with thick wooden speakers -
it did weigh about that much

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
DANG NORM!

That is ridiculous. Got to be 50lbs with battery pack! Put out your back for 20 minutes worth of battery action!

BoomboxLover48 said:
I thought Sharp VZ2000 was the heaviest of all!
16.5 Kg (36.5Lbs)

So there is another "Hernia Box" out there! :jawdrop: :w00t: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The VZ is 38lbs with batteries

Superduper

Member (SA)
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
DANG NORM!

That is ridiculous. Got to be 50lbs with battery pack! Put out your back for 20 minutes worth of battery action!

The VZ is 38lbs with batteries
This pioneer has the double deck module which is noticeably heavier than the single deck versions. I lifted this, and then lifted the RX-7700, itself a pretty heavy box, and the 7700 felt like nothing. I then lifted the VZ2000 and I know it is not, but it feels like 1/2 as heavy as the pioneer. That's probably because the handle is more ergonomicaly designed so there is less concentration of weight as compared to on the square bottom Pioneer handle. I do recall another boombox I have which I was convinced it the heaviest in the world and that is the Sanyo C20. But that one is a boxed NIB one, and the carton, packaging and accessories might be the reason it feels so heavy (I never did unbox it). According to the service manual, the specs of the C20 is 36lbs I just weighed the VZ which is 35.8 lbs, so the C20 is right up there although in a far more compact package. Unrelated but those that owns the VZ knows what I'm talking about..... I hate the weird tilting that happens when you try to lift the VZ. It's like trying the cherry pick a car engine with the chains set too far forward or backward -- totally unbalanced!

Anyhow, back to the weight -- With the Pioneer about 10 lbs. heavier than the VZ, I think it's safe to say that this may indeed be the heaviest. I forget what the classic Sony FH's weigh (not the black plastic ones)..... also cinder block boxes. Anyone know off hand?

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Superduper said:
This pioneer has the double deck module which is noticeably heavier than the single deck versions. I lifted this, and then lifted the RX-7700, itself a pretty heavy box, and the 7700 felt like nothing. I then lifted the VZ2000 and I know it is not, but it feels like 1/2 as heavy as the pioneer. That's probably because the handle is more ergonomicaly designed so there is less concentration of weight as compared to on the square bottom Pioneer handle. I do recall another boombox I have which I was convinced it the heaviest in the world and that is the Sanyo C20. But that one is a boxed NIB one, and the carton, packaging and accessories might be the reason it feels so heavy (I never did unbox it). According to the service manual, the specs of the C20 is 36lbs I just weighed the VZ which is 35.8 lbs, so the C20 is right up there although in a far more compact package. Unrelated but those that owns the VZ knows what I'm talking about..... I hate the weird tilting that happens when you try to lift the VZ. It's like trying the cherry pick a car engine with the chains set too far forward or backward -- totally unbalanced!

Anyhow, back to the weight -- With the Pioneer about 10 lbs. heavier than the VZ, I think it's safe to say that this may indeed be the heaviest. I forget what the classic Sony FH's weigh (not the black plastic ones)..... also cinder block boxes. Anyone know off hand?
Can you show the front of that box? I think Hip Hop Trooper may have been looking for one.

These have a detachable battery pack right? How many batteries does it take?

Superduper

Member (SA)
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
Can you show the front of that box? I think Hip Hop Trooper may have been looking for one.
These have a detachable battery pack right? How many batteries does it take?
The pioneers used many possible combinations of modules, almost all of which can be substituted, mixed and matched. They offered many versions of the decks, tuner/preamp units, speakers, etc. Therefore, whether or not it can be portable (batteries) depends upon the configuration -- some are AC only. The main power amp on the bottom is definitely AC only as it outputs 110wpc (music power) or 30w+30w FTC at 5%THD. It alone weighs 11 pounds. We are not talking about lightweight digital amps here, we are talking about a huge STK output module which requires a linear power supply to match (read: heavy transformer). The cassette decks takes 10 D-cells. I am pretty sure, but can't say for certain whether those internal batteries can power the tuner/preamp or not though which alone (without the big ac amp) outputs 12.5wpc FTC or 36w music power. Due to the intense weight of this asssembly, to me, it is portable in the sense that you can transport from one room to another or to another location. Not portable as in carrying down the street booming. Certainly there are better models for that and as well, the precision components wouldn't do too well if slammed accidentally against other hard objects. A 45lb objects slams into another object -- something is going to give! One thing I give credit for though is how solid the assembly feels when connected. Some 3-piecers feels sloppy when tethered. This one does not. Here is a picture with the double deck. I have previously showed pictures of the single deck versions (of which there are more than 1 variety too). One interesting note: As shown, the unit can actually power 4-speakers. The large amp at the bottom can power one set, and the top tuner/preamp also has a very beefy amp as well and can connect another pair of speakers.
ck-11_4.jpg

bklyn sound

Member (SA)
Dec 7, 2011
I think any large one with 10 d's in it ..... either that or I'm getting weak in my old age

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
I've just weighed my Sony FH-7 and it's a hefty 14.7kg/32.4lbs with the AC-78 Power Supply Unit fitted. I can lift this but, if I tried to walk with it, I'd end up going round in circles! :w00t: :lol: :lol: :lol: I just can't imagine having to cope with anything heavier and I do not want Heavy Duty Industrial Shelving in my house either!

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
My JVC dc-7 turntable box is the heaviest box I have ever owned this thing is such a big cumbersome back breaking Monster . I just refused to mess with anymore.

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
CK-11 or CK-12? The CK-12 is so rare I've only seen or heard of 1 and Prime has it.
I do know the Toshiba WX-1 is at 42lbd. without batteries.

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
This looks to be the CK-11. The 12 is so rare I think Brett (Prime) has a rare prototype. Digital fluoroscope output display that nothing can top!!😀😎📟📻

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
koleloi said:
I never seen one but I heard that the Panasonic A2 weight about 22,5 kg. Correct me if I'm wrong, thanks.
46 pounds (20.9 kg) without batteries. But part of that is the cassette holder.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
i had that big pioneer, carried it up to the ex's, that was enough, it may be still there as i left it there as it was cream crackered

Status
Not open for further replies.