Retr0bright Results - TRC920

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

Member (SA)
Oct 24, 2016
DMV
Here are my Retr0bright results. I am very pleased with the out come. Just about 3 hours of sunlight is all it took. Wow, that's a lot quicker than 20 to 30 plus hours of UV light (my opinion).

Pre Retrobright photos. Note: These are the original ebay pictures that were posted by the seller, when I purchased the Lasonic 920.

Lasonic 920 j.jpgLasonic 920 d.jpglasonic 920 c.jpglasonic 920 b.jpg

Pre Treatment Photo:
Yellow Lasonic case.JPG

Treatment:
treatment lasonic.JPG

I had to make a store run, so i move the parts to my deck.
treatment 2.JPG

Treatment Results:
retro lasonic.JPGretro lasonic 2.JPGretro lasonic 3.JPG

Treated with:
40 creme 2.JPG

Sorry about the rotated photos. They were upright on my iPhone and computer.

Will

Member (SA)
Oct 24, 2016
DMV
MyOhMy said:
That's a fantastic result! :thumbsup: :rock:

In England, I'll have to wait at least 6 months for a decent level of sunshine before trying this.
The temperature was in the 60's here. But I have sun.

trippy1313 said:
Nice Will!!! Looks a ton better. Pretty easy to do?
It was very easy to do. I used a paint brush to spread the 40 Creme. I got the creme from a local beauty supply store.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
I'm trying this. Sod all sun here tho at the moment. It's been on 24 hours so far. Might leave it another couple of days...will that do it any harm?

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
If you have a UV bulb or torch Si that will cure it, since your in Yorkshire wont you be waiting until May for the sun to appear? :lol:

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Northerner said:
I'm trying this. Sod all sun here tho at the moment. It's been on 24 hours so far. Might leave it another couple of days...will that do it any harm?
Yes, it's possible to "overcook" a piece so be very careful, as it's irreversible.
You get a ghost-like discoloration; it eats away at material under good plastic. It depends on a few things though... the strength of your mix, the color of the plastic, and the quality of the original manufacturing process. Over time it is allowed to work deeper into the plastic, and you can suffer from local whitening that tends to follow previously unseen grains in the plastic flow from when it was molded. Some let it get to this point because the plastic was so yellowed and the ghosting was the lesser evil.

You can also get uneven results if you use too much oxidizer. Gas from the reaction releases to fast and can get trapped against the surface under the gel, I had to keep reapplying even moreso because I did it in July when sun was beating down hard.

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
caution said:
Yes, it's possible to "overcook" a piece so be very careful, as it's irreversible.
You get a ghost-like discoloration; it eats away at material under good plastic. It depends on a few things though... the strength of your mix, the color of the plastic, and the quality of the original manufacturing process. Over time it is allowed to work deeper into the plastic, and you can suffer from local whitening that tends to follow previously unseen grains in the plastic flow from when it was molded. Some let it get to this point because the plastic was so yellowed and the ghosting was the lesser evil.

You can also get uneven results if you use too much oxidizer. Gas from the reaction releases to fast and can get trapped against the surface under the gel, I had to keep reapplying even moreso because I did it in July when sun was beating down hard.
Oh dear...I've gone away for a couple of days and left it out lol. I checked it after a day and I'm not sure much had happened as the weather is very overcast and grey at the moment. I checked the weather forecast uv index which goes from 0 to 20 and it was 0 for the week lol

I'll find out tomorrow whether there's just a pool of molten plastic left lol

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
I've read that after treating the plastic and washing it off then it's a good idea to apply amorall or a uv dashboard cleaner. I think it was an old post Glucifer did where one of his mini's reverted back.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Northerner said:
Oh dear...I've gone away for a couple of days and left it out lol. I checked it after a day and I'm not sure much had happened as the weather is very overcast and grey at the moment. I checked the weather forecast uv index which goes from 0 to 20 and it was 0 for the week lol

I'll find out tomorrow whether there's just a pool of molten plastic left lol
Hahaha. Hmm... well I hope it's okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.