Sony Tryzee FX-400 TV not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmatzler

Member (SA)
Nov 5, 2016
Hello guys,

a few days ago I got this boombox from Sony, apparently a Japanese one. It's my first one and it's called "Tryzee FX-400".

The problem is, I can't find anything about it on the internet, apart from some pictures. No service manual, nothing. It obviously needs some work. The handle is broken off and the tape drive probably needs a new belt, since I can only hear the motor spinning up. Also, the record button on the tape drive is just flapping around in the breeze.

Apart from that, it works just fine. The radio runs, I can hook my phone up via Line In and even the VU meters are really responsive.

The biggest issue is the TV not doing anything at all. It's hooked up via 12V instead of the Japanese 100V because I don't have a converter, but I guess the TV should still work...right? :eek:

If anyone knows how to get a manual or has some experience with devices like this, please help! ;)

Here's a little video where I test it out:
https://hirnschwund.net/forum/img/members/2/Tryzee.mp4

-schmatzler

IMG_20161103_041751.jpg
IMG_20161105_211713.jpg

ralrein1

Member (SA)
Hello,your first line says you got it from Sony.If that's not a typo. Call Sony back since they made it and ask them for any info they can provide on getting a service manual.Personally I wouldn't even mess with the TV as it is not an HD tv. It would only get a few low power low def. religious channels at most. I'd pull it apart and replace the belt(s)for the cassette deck. Also clean the heads,capstan and pinch roller. You also might be able to fix the broken cassette key when your in there. Good luck.

schmatzler

Member (SA)
Nov 5, 2016
Sorry, I'm from Germany and probably misspelled.
What I meant to say is that it is made by Sony. ;)

Personally I wouldn't even mess with the TV as it is not an HD tv
Mmmh...would be nice to have it working, though. :( But you're right, the cassette deck should be my first priority :)

ralrein1

Member (SA)
No worries there Schmatzler. Its a good looking box and I'm glad you have decided to save it. Maybe you'll find inside that the TV portion just needs a new fuse or has a loose wire. I hope its an easy fix for you. So you can enjoy it for years to come. Let us know what you find when you open her up. Don't hesitate to ask for help. Good luck and have fun!😀😀😀

Superduper

Member (SA)
I have never seen a service manual for a JDM (Japan Domestic Model) boombox. Ever. Not to say they don't exist but I have never personally seen one for any japan only model.

Luckily for you, that model does look like the Japanese version of the North American FX-414 model. The service manual can be purchased here:

https://www.analogalley.com/osccart/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=63&products_id=466

There will probably be some differences, typically in the power supply and RF receiving ranges of the tuners. This is typically true for almost all japanese boomboxes models that also has a non-japanese market equivalent aka model.

Status
Not open for further replies.