Hi and question about selling

Status
Not open for further replies.

subwiz

Member (SA)
Sep 14, 2016
Hi,

I have a Sharp VZ-2500 that my dad purchased new back in the 80's and was just about to through it in the trash when i rescued it about 8 years ago and it has sat in my closet ever since.

A few months ago I started to think about restoring it as it a few issues.

1) Belt not working on turntable - I had a tech replace the belts.
2) Missing the slider covers (balance, tape and mic) - Still missing
3) Tape motor not turning - Tech checked this and thinks is the the control board for the motor which is defective.
4) Dirty in the volume slider - There is a bit of a crackle when you slide the volume controller. I think this is just dirt in the connection.

I have purchased new needles too, but I have not put them in the player yet. There are very few scratches on the outside casing and it looks to be in good cosmetic shape.

I am curious if this boombox has any value in it's current condition? I have already spent close to $200 on needles, belts and labor. I am a little concerned that the cost to repair the cassette could be high as I am not skilled enough to do the work myself and I doubt that i will be using the unit after restoring it.

Can someone give me a guide on it's current value?

Thanks for reading.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I think, leave the cassette how it is for now. Get the record player going, clean everything, polish the plastics, and then see what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.