Can anybody help with my GF-9494?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PGDowling17

Member (SA)
Oct 12, 2016
England
Hi all, this is my first post here. I was directed here from from Facebook group, so I think it'd be best for me to re-post my queries here:

New member here. I'm fairly inexperienced (this is my first unit), and I need help. I got this GF-9494 a couple months back, everything was working fine until it started chewing up tapes badly after a couple weeks. I read online that I need to change the belts and clean the heads, pinch roller and capstan. I found replacement belts online, but I have no idea how to change them. I also don't know where the pinch roller and capstan are. I told you I'm a rookie, haha. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

I'm struggling to remove the belt/motor assembly. I've removed 2 screws below the tape mechanism, pulled out the wires from the clip to the circuit board, and I've found a plastic clip at the bottom.....

...but something is still holding it at the top. I removed the top by pulling off the plastic sliders and nobs, but I still can't find how to remove the assembly. Can anybody give me instructions on how to get the mechanism out so I can change the belts? This is also turning into a much bigger task than I expected because at some point in the past it's clearly been dropped as I've just noticed two big chips in the bottom plastic of the casing, and one of the corner screws doesn't do up at all (maybe it's been overtightened?) making it extremely difficult to align the case when putting it back together again. Would there be any way to fix this issue with the screw?

Finally, could somebody whose changed the belts on a GF-9494 confirm that these measurements are correct for replacement belts
http://www.turntableneedles.com/Square-Belt-Small-74-Inch_p_454.html
http://www.turntableneedles.com/Square-Belt-Small-70-Inch_p_446.html
http://www.turntableneedles.com/Flat-Belt-Small-102-Inch_p_50.html

Again, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

PGDowling17

Member (SA)
Oct 12, 2016
England
MyOhMy said:
Hiya,

Do you have the deck door open? When this is closed it usually prevents the deck from coming out.
Hi, do you mean to press the eject button (as the door itself is on the other part of the casing)? Will that allow me to take the deck out?

PGDowling17

Member (SA)
Oct 12, 2016
England
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Are the belts tight? - they can't be the original belts as the originals would be goo by now.
They're not very tight at all, they definitely need replacing. I had a feeling someone had been inside this before due to a missing screw from the (remarkably clean) battery compartment.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
The hole in the centre of the battery compartment was not used by Sharp so don't worry if it's missing.

There are only 4 screws holding on the deck (some are differing lengths).

After you remove the 4 screws (in each corner of the deck), you then remove the tape head cable(White clip).
Next remove the motor power supply cable and a single wire that connects next to the tuner board. (Take note of its location).

You should then be able to remove the deck mechanism. Report back

PGDowling17

Member (SA)
Oct 12, 2016
England
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
The hole in the centre of the battery compartment was not used by Sharp so don't worry if it's missing.

There are only 4 screws holding on the deck (some are differing lengths).

After you remove the 4 screws (in each corner of the deck), you then remove the tape head cable(White clip).
Next remove the motor power supply cable and a single wire that connects next to the tuner board. (Take note of its location).

You should then be able to remove the deck mechanism. Report back
Thanks! I took out 2 of the corner screws, I obviously missed the other 2. I've put the box back together for tonight, but I'll get a chance to take it apart again on Friday after school to take another look. I'll let you know how that goes.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
I've serviced over a dozen of these decks and they all ended up working fine. There are the front 2 belts that you have already seen. Once you get the deck out, you will see a larger flat belt that runs from the motor to the flywheel. Attached to the flywheel is a capstan that in turn drives another white wheel via a small piece of rubber tube that is housed within a cast alloy housing. This small piece of rubber is what causes most problems as it turns to black mush over time.

If you are replacing the belts, this part should be replaced as well. You will need to source of piece of 5mm OD rubber tubing with an ID of 2mm - these measurements are crucial. Most 5mm tube has an ID of 3mm - that size won't work as it will slip on the capstan.

There is a bit of work involved in removing and replacing this part - we can step you through this process when you have your belts and tubing.

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
PGDowling17 said:
Hi, do you mean to press the eject button (as the door itself is on the other part of the casing)? Will that allow me to take the deck out?
Yes, when the deck door is closed the retaining hook will engage. Press Stop/Eject and, if needed, place the box on a padded block/book/whatever to prevent the door re-closing when you lay the box flat again.

nikonfoo

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
The man just wants the mech out
need to remove the tuner scale 4 screws
under there are 2 screws at the top holding the mech
you seem to of found the 2 at the bottom
see very bad photo from service manual
Its an easy pull out from there
Cheers

PGDowling17

Member (SA)
Oct 12, 2016
England
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
I've serviced over a dozen of these decks and they all ended up working fine. There are the front 2 belts that you have already seen. Once you get the deck out, you will see a larger flat belt that runs from the motor to the flywheel. Attached to the flywheel is a capstan that in turn drives another white wheel via a small piece of rubber tube that is housed within a cast alloy housing. This small piece of rubber is what causes most problems as it turns to black mush over time.

If you are replacing the belts, this part should be replaced as well. You will need to source of piece of 5mm OD rubber tubing with an ID of 2mm - these measurements are crucial. Most 5mm tube has an ID of 3mm - that size won't work as it will slip on the capstan.

There is a bit of work involved in removing and replacing this part - we can step you through this process when you have your belts and tubing.
I actually spotted this listing on ebay when searching for belts. It includes "tubing for the capstan needle." Should I get this instead of those belts on that other website?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sharp-GF-repair-kit-Belt-Pinch-roller-tube-for-GF-9090-9191-9292-9494-9696-/301805438253?hash=item464501852d:g:70wAAOSwNuxXaPOt

Northerner said:
If you get stuck I'll fix it for you if you can get it to me. I replied on your facebook post. I'm in County Durham / North Yorkshire :-)
Thanks man, I really appreciate that. Not sure if it'd be too easy for me to get up to you, but if I can't figure this out I'll shoot you a message

nikonfoo said:
The man just wants the mech out
need to remove the tuner scale 4 screws
under there are 2 screws at the top holding the mech
you seem to of found the 2 at the bottom
see very bad photo from service manual
Its an easy pull out from there
Cheers
Thanks, that's pretty useful. I think I'll be able to do this now.

I appreciate the help folks! Thanks!!

nikonfoo

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
Ha that repair kit on ebay is mine
PM me if you need it
Can give you a better price here

PGDowling17

Member (SA)
Oct 12, 2016
England
I think I'll wait until I have the replacement belts on hand before I take the box apart again, seeing as it's such a nightmare to put back together properly.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
PGDowling17 said:
I think I'll wait until I have the replacement belts on hand before I take the box apart again, seeing as it's such a nightmare to put back together properly.
Don't worry!

You will do it all right. It is not complicated like you think.

~Royce

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Yep this is one of the absolute easiest boxes to work on so whilst it's scary doing your first one, this is a good one to do. Good luck :-)

PGDowling17

Member (SA)
Oct 12, 2016
England
Ok, I got everything I need now. I'll finally get her working great again tomorrow. I'll keep you all updated. Thanks again for all the help!

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
When you pull the flywheel, make sure you don't lose the tape counter pulley (it slides off the capstan shaft when you lift out the flywheel). - Don't try to remove the pulley from the shaft - let it come off when you remove the flywheel.

Also, don't lose the tiny washer that sits between the flywheel and the bearing casing.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.