• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#61 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:38 PM

I tried to use the chat, but they asked for 269 even though their webpage said 249.

#62 caution

caution
  • Members
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:27 AM

5Ah battery showed up today. Never heard of Bright Way Group but I'll take my chances.

To a fire-free upgrade :beer2:

#63 SLO

SLO
  • Members
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, Southern California

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:57 AM

5Ah battery showed up today. Never heard of Bright Way Group but I'll take my chances.

Whats up Eric! Did you buy the same battery that Melvin bought? I did, but I havent opened up the back panel to hook it up just yet.

#64 trippy1313

trippy1313
  • Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • LocationSeattle-Tacoma, WA

Posted 11 November 2016 - 12:26 AM

Hahaha. I'll toast to that. :beer2:

#65 caution

caution
  • Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:41 AM

Whats up Eric! Did you buy the same battery that Melvin bought? I did, but I havent opened up the back panel to hook it up just yet.

Yo Steve!! You know what, I searched for a dura12-5f on the Amazons but it only came up with one hit, but it was way cheap and had great ratings, we'll see if it holds out long-term! https://www.amazon.c...=A18FJ6DZ5DLR7S

Thanks trippy :-)

#66 SLO

SLO
  • Members
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, Southern California

Posted 12 November 2016 - 01:11 AM

Yo Steve!! You know what, I searched for a dura12-5f on the Amazons but it only came up with one hit, but it was way cheap and had great ratings, we'll see if it holds out long-term! https://www.amazon.c...=A18FJ6DZ5DLR7S

Thanks trippy :-)

I bought the same DURACELL battery that Melvin bought. I ordered it from Batteriesplus.com for a lil over 30 bucks. I just removed the stock battery earlier today, and with Melvins help, I installed the new one. Well worth it homie  :-D

https://www.batterie...ails/slaa12=5f2

#67 caution

caution
  • Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:23 AM

I bought the same DURACELL battery that Melvin bought. I ordered it from Batteriesplus.com for a lil over 30 bucks. I just removed the stock battery earlier today, and with Melvins help, I installed the new one. Well worth it homie  :-D

https://www.batterie...ails/slaa12=5f2

Bro I'm goin over there tomorrow to get one. Ditching this cheapie! There's NO way I'm putting it in there with this type of stuff printed on the front.

30894046696_5182dc8042_o.jpg

Duracell Ultras can take 50-150 complete discharges, this one can't even take it once. Even though they're both sealed lead acid with absorbent glass mat I'm getting the feeling I purchased a battery meant for environments where they are constantly being recharged. 3-5 years sure seems low too.

#68 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,162 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted 12 November 2016 - 03:01 AM

Bro I'm goin over there tomorrow to get one. Ditching this cheapie! There's NO way I'm putting it in there with this type of stuff printed on the front.

30894046696_5182dc8042_o.jpg

Duracell Ultras can take 50-150 complete discharges, this one can't even take it once. Even though they're both sealed lead acid with absorbent glass mat I'm getting the feeling I purchased a battery meant for environments where they are constantly being recharged. 3-5 years sure seems low too.

That info applies to all SLA batteries - none of them like a full discharge. SLA cells have a very flat output voltage curve from fully charged to flat (12.9v full to around 12v at 20%). If you drain any SLA to completely flat, chances are it won't recover as most intelligent chargers will treat it as faulty and will not start the recharge process.

SLA batteries love continual charging top ups. Shallow discharge cycles are the key to ensure longevity. 3-5 years of regular use sounds about right before a replacement is required. :-)

#69 caution

caution
  • Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 03:26 AM

Thanks jimmy, I'll stick with this one. I wasn't aware they had such short life spans.

#70 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 03:51 AM

One of the major contributing factors to cell longevity is actually the charger. A sophisticated automatic charger will protect the cell from the dreaded 'over charge' situation - remember that using a charger that charges the cell too quickly (too many amps) will also shorten cell life.

The 7.2aH SLA cells I use are charged by a 12v automatic charger that charges at only 600 milliamps - that's the max recommended for this size cell.

#71 mellymelsr

mellymelsr
  • Members
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:07 AM

i had to educate myself on SLA batteries. luckily there are lots of resources with info. Jimmy is correct in saying SLA love to be topped off. After every use I plug it in and recharge back to full then unplug it. It will ensure the longest possible life span. The Bumpboxx uses a 12ah SLA! That is huge cranking power for a portable. I'm upgrading my battery by ordering a 15ah. 

#72 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 01:16 PM

i had to educate myself on SLA batteries. luckily there are lots of resources with info. Jimmy is correct in saying SLA love to be topped off. After every use I plug it in and recharge back to full then unplug it. It will ensure the longest possible life span. The Bumpboxx uses a 12ah SLA! That is huge cranking power for a portable. I'm upgrading my battery by ordering a 15ah.

Are you sure it originally used a 12aH battery? The 7aH cells I use are overkill for my DIY projects!!!!

I would have thought a 15aH cell would be huge and very heavy!?

#73 mellymelsr

mellymelsr
  • Members
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:25 PM

Yeh the Bumpboxx has a 12ah. A 15ah is 2 lbs heavier.

#74 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:05 PM

Yeh the Bumpboxx has a 12ah. A 15ah is 2 lbs heavier.

The label on the bottom of the Bumpboxx says 12Volts - is it an SLA cell??

#75 mellymelsr

mellymelsr
  • Members
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:54 AM

Yes it has an SLA. 2.6ah. I upgraded to a 5ah.

#76 caution

caution
  • Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:30 PM

Here's some pics from my battery upgrade. I used double-stick foam tape to attach it.

It filled up the entire space with no room to spare! Love it!

31342433605_049cd4af56_k.jpg

31198304182_618f3549d2_k.jpg

30519808344_8db533e423_k.jpg

31342432515_46137af904_k.jpg

#77 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:36 PM

Nice going!

But you've still got your clear protective film on!

#78 mellymelsr

mellymelsr
  • Members
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:56 PM

Nice job! You will notice a huge difference in hours of play with that battery upgrade.

#79 caution

caution
  • Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:27 AM

Nice going!

But you've still got your clear protective film on!

Thanks! I don't know why but I just can't get myself to take it off yet :lol:  I guess part of it is because I'm still going to be working on the outside of it and might as well keep that skin on there until I'm done. They did so well with rugged hardware for most of it but didn't do much on the case, so I want to install metal corners and some feet that screw in.

#80 caution

caution
  • Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:39 AM

Nice job! You will notice a huge difference in hours of play with that battery upgrade.

Thanks! It's crazy how it's nearly 4 times the capacity as the original, gotta love that.

#81 mancardo

mancardo
  • Members
  • 1,336 posts
  • LocationAZ U.S.

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:48 PM

is that the same battery Melvin and Steve put on their DJ Tech Boombox? I still have to do mine.

#82 caution

caution
  • Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:46 AM

It's the same, just not Duracell. If you search Amazon for DURA 5F only one battery pops up - that one.

#83 mancardo

mancardo
  • Members
  • 1,336 posts
  • LocationAZ U.S.

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:37 PM

Thanks Eric!

#84 Transistorized

Transistorized
  • Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:20 PM

Well I seem to be having a streak of bad luck. Ordered mine from Rockandsoul.com on Dec 1st. They're in NY which is only an 8hr drive one way. They shipped it through USPS and they took their marry good time getting it here (7 DAYS).

Anyway I opened everything up and took the box out. I turned it on and tuned it to a radio station. I has very happy with the sound and all was going well up to that point. I noticed the battery indicator had only 1 green, 1 yellow and 1 red on. The top green light wasn't lit. I figured well I should go ahead and let it charge while I'm listening to it.

Well I get out the charger plug it in and......nothing. No blinking charge light or anything. I noticed the light on the charge brick wasn't even coming on. :annoyed:

I called rockandsoul. They took my number and said they would call the manufacturer to see if they would send me a replacement power supply.

The original power supply states it is 18V and 2.6A. Well my Bumpboxx power supply is 15V 3A. I figured only 3V less and 400mA more shouldn't hurt anything. Making sure the polarity was the same and now my battery was dead so in an act of desperation I plugged that in.

Charge light is blinking and finally the top green indicator light has come on so it's taking a charge. We'll see how this goes. Not sure why they need a 18V charger to top off a 12V lead acid battery anyway. I figure since the voltage is less it shouldn't hurt anything and by being only just slightly more Amps the unit will only pull what it needs. My experience in the past has shown me that you can go over higher than required on the Amperage of the power supply you just don't want to go over on the Voltage. That's when you fry things.

I'll keep you all posted on how the company responds to replacing my defective power brick. I've been playing it for a few hours now plugged in and no smoke or funny business so I guess it'll have to do for now.

It didn't take long out of the box for only the yellow light to indicate a low charge. Was thinking it would've come fully charged. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to fully charge? Not sure my bumpboxx charger will charge it as fast or fully since it's only 15V instead of 18V like the original.

#85 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:14 PM

I don't have any problems with the 18V charger.

BTW try not to let the charge level drop down too much, as it shortens the life of those SLA batteries.

#86 Transistorized

Transistorized
  • Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:30 PM

15V must not be enough to get the battery all the way up. If I'm listening to it the charge light constantly blinks and it never goes steady even after hours. Only when I flip the master switch on the back does it eventually go solid. At that point when I power it up it only has 1 green light. 30 minutes later at 40% volume its flat.

I guess I'll have to wait another 2 weeks to get my charger so I can charge it up and listen to it unless I can use my trickle charger for the car to top it off and then stick it back in the radio

#87 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:39 PM

Well when it's not plugged in, the highest light on will fade in/out with heavy bass hits.

#88 Transistorized

Transistorized
  • Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:20 PM

Yeah. The top green light never has lit on battery power. After 30 minutes the yellow and red start flashing. I have requested a replacement at no charge to me through rockandsoul

#89 mellymelsr

mellymelsr
  • Members
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:34 AM

The DJ Tech uses a very cheap battery. After a week of use I noticed a severe dropoff in usage time. For this reason I chose to upgrade my battery. Best decision I could have made. I easily get over 12 hours of usage on the upgrade. Being an SLA I recharge after every use.

#90 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:03 AM

Is there circuitry between the charging input jack and the SLA battery? In other words, is the brains of the charging operation in the charger itself or inside the box?