• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#1 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,803 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:10 AM

Just wanted to inform about this box to you all.

I am not a big fan of these with no long radio dials, VU meters and above all no cassette spinning to give some live action.

#2 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:18 AM

Yeah that video is weak, a few errors, no closeups, and he didn't even play it.  Mel and I will be remedying that situation soon.

#3 mellymelsr

mellymelsr
  • Members
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 06 October 2016 - 11:23 AM

Well I am a very big fan of this radio and I actually have one. I think it is a very good modern interpretation of an 80's boombox. With a cost of $249 it's a good value to me. It has 42 watts of power from a rechargeable battery that lasts 6 hours. You can play music via blue tooth, sd card, usb or aux input. It has digital fm radio. Battery level indicator. The build quality is excellent. It's a medium sized boombox, same size as a Sanyo 9994.

I was totaly surprized by the sound of this boombox. It's hard to compare it to an 80's one piece in sound. 80's one piece radios generally have very crisp treble with medium sibilance. Very forward mids. Good mid bass with acceptible low bass. The rear air vents allow sound to pass rearward as well as from the front and were designed primarily for outdoor use.

This boombox is a little different. It has a closed cabinet design like a 3 piece boombox and it's sound signature is very similar to a 3 piece box. The bass is very rich and deep. The mids are mildly recessed making for a more balanced and soothing sound compared to an 80's box. The high are crisp and sharp with very mild sibilance. This box has a warm sound signature similar to a Panasonic 680.

I did an outdoor sound test with my M70 to see how a box of this design would project outdoors. In comparison the M70 is louder overall but sounds much thinner. The bass and overall warmer sound signature projects very well outdoors. My M70 screams where this box soothes. I could listen to this box all day with zero ear fatigue. The sound separation and sound stage are excellent as well. I plan on buying one more to custom paint. Those of you who don't like it because it's missing a cassette, well that's fine. Adding a cassette adds cost and maintenance. I like it just the way it is.

Attached File  20161005_162509.jpg   138.66K   9 downloadsAttached File  20161005_164233.jpg   148.63K   18 downloadsAttached File  20161005_162456.jpg   99.06K   10 downloadsAttached File  20161005_165754.jpg   81.64K   35 downloads

Attached Files

#4 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 October 2016 - 11:41 AM

very mild sibilance.

Damn, I learned a new word!

Nice review!

#5 mellymelsr

mellymelsr
  • Members
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 06 October 2016 - 11:45 AM

Damn, I learned a new word!

Nice review!

Thanks Hans. I learned that word chatting on the audiophile forums...lol.

#6 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,099 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:28 PM

THat red is really really hot! Looks great.

#7 mellymelsr

mellymelsr
  • Members
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:23 PM

Thanks Joe. It has a very high gloss clear. Very shiny in the sunlight.

#8 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,658 posts
  • LocationIn the middle of nowhere!!

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:52 PM

Yeah love the red color!!

#9 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,658 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:21 PM

Now I'm wondering which one is better. The DJ Tech or new Aiwa......Mmmmm......

#10 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,658 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:23 PM

👍

#11 JustCruisin

JustCruisin
  • Members
  • 2,938 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:42 PM

We were fortunate to have both at The Vegas Boombox Summit..:yes:
SLO was shutting everyone down on the strip with his AIWA Exos, full blast rockin the block!! Great BASS!!
Reli had the DJ Tech box rockin in the hotel hallway, good punch and clear/clean sound! I was curious to hear it on the street turned up as well..:hmmm:

#12 -GZ-

-GZ-
  • Members
  • 2,228 posts
  • LocationBoom Central

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:02 PM

Back in February. :)
http://boomboxery.co...this-on-amazon/

#13 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:28 PM

The Aiwa has more power, and louder too.  It's amazing how much bass such a light box puts out.  I think it's actually lighter than the DJ Tech.

LMAO, I was ragging on it back then. I'll have to eat my words. Only reason I finally bought one was to bring it to the meet.  Turned out to be a keeper.

#14 mellymelsr

mellymelsr
  • Members
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 06 October 2016 - 11:27 PM

I agree with Reli, it's definitely a keeper.

#15 SLO

SLO
  • Members
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, Southern California

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:44 PM

I'd love to do a side by side comparison with my aiwa and the DJ Tech, not for competition, but just to hear the sound difference.

Im going to be ordering the DJ Tech soon. After hearing Reli's when he unboxed it in Vegas, I was impressed to say the least. He didn't even crank it up super loud and it sounded so clean. Now hearing Melly's testimonial, it sealed the deal even more, thanks fellas  :thumbsup:

#16 JustCruisin

JustCruisin
  • Members
  • 2,938 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:47 PM

LMAO, I was ragging on it back then. I'll have to eat my words. Only reason I finally bought one was to bring it to the meet.  Turned out to be a keeper.

I don't think anyone would've been tempted to buy one before you brought yours and let us hear it!
Proof is in the pudding..:yes:

#17 caution

caution
  • Members
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:32 AM

I don't think anyone would've been tempted to buy one before you brought yours and let us hear it!
Proof is in the pudding.. :yes:

The temptation boiled over last night, red one on the way!

#18 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:02 PM

Nice! You won't be disappointed!

#19 mellymelsr

mellymelsr
  • Members
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:13 PM

Yes! Welcome to the club! The smooth sound and thumping bass are very addicting. It handles all genres of music very well. I did a battery upgrade on mine. Upgraded from a 2.6ah to a 5ah. It boosted the play time from 5 hours to 14.

#20 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,162 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:02 AM

How does the sound of the DJ Tech compare with the RX-DT680?

#21 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,803 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:15 AM

Yes! Welcome to the club! The smooth sound and thumping bass are very addicting. It handles all genres of music very well. I did a battery upgrade on mine. Upgraded from a 2.6ah to a 5ah. It boosted the play time from 5 hours to 14.

That battery upgrade is a giant leap! 

That much life before recharging  is unheard on a thumping box of this category!

Good Job Melvin! :yes:

If some day I buy, I would go for the black version. 

#22 caution

caution
  • Members
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 14 October 2016 - 11:02 AM

Nice! You won't be disappointed!

Yes! Welcome to the club!

Yeah man, the quality time spent with it at breakfast that one morning sorta planted a bug in my head. The fact that it has such nice acoustics, actual metal for the speaker/main trims, and the high-quality components used for the controls, the wide variety of inputs (memory card, XJR, etc.) and kick-ass radio reception, and now the battery life of over a half-day... yeah I'm sold :rock:

#23 SLO

SLO
  • Members
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationInland Empire, Southern California

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:42 PM

:w00t: Congrats Eric! The red one is sweet, I wanted a white one but I guess they never made one  :-/

#24 trippy1313

trippy1313
  • Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • LocationSeattle-Tacoma, WA

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:31 AM

I did a battery upgrade on mine. Upgraded from a 2.6ah to a 5ah. It boosted the play time from 5 hours to 14.

Battery upgrade??? I'm curious to hear more about this. Did you add another battery or find a good replacement?

#25 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:45 AM

Battery upgrade??? I'm curious to hear more about this. Did you add another battery or find a good replacement?

I got a video comin up later today that will show it

#26 mellymelsr

mellymelsr
  • Members
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern Cali

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:39 PM

I took out the stock battery which was a very cheap brand called Power Kingdom...lol. It was rated at 2.6 amp hours. Cranking it at the gym gave me less than 4 hours at 60% volume. That simply would not do. I measured how much available space I had. Then I researched what size and amp hour batteries were available. I wanted to make sure I didn't add too much weight. I settled on a 5 amp hour battery because it fit in the available space and only added 2 pounds. I preceded to do real world testing. I left it in my garage thumping at 70% volume with max bass to test it's limits. 14 hours later it was still going with power left. The replacement battery is a Duracell 5 ah and the difference was well worth the $35 cost. Also the original battery was only good for 50-75 recharges. The Duracell is good for 400+. So replacing it was a no brainer.

#27 trippy1313

trippy1313
  • Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • LocationSeattle-Tacoma, WA

Posted 15 October 2016 - 05:32 PM

Oh yeah that's a definite must for only 4 hours at barely over half volume??? That's ridiculous.

2 pounds more is nothing for that kind of improvement. What's amazing is your new 5ah is lasting more and 3x they're supposed 2.6ah. I think they grossly overrated that label.

How much bigger in size volume is the Duracell?

#28 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 October 2016 - 06:34 PM

But everyone's definition of "half volume" is different......It also depends on your bass setting and your input source setting

I can easily get 6+ hours indoors.

Outdoors obviously you're going to play it louder.

#29 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,162 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:40 PM

What sort of battery chemistry does it come with?

#30 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:37 PM

it's lead, 12V

the AC adapter is 18V