SCR-8 no stereo mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

itzmillertyme

Aug 10, 2016
Windsor, On
Hey guys. I have a mint Realistic SCR-8 with working deck. The issue is the tuner will not get fm stereo. No stereo light and not playing in stereo. I have another donor box but noticed a few of the plugs (to front face and power board) are different from mine. Can my issue be fixed on current tuner?

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Check the tuner board for semi adjustable resistors. The contacts can get corroded over time. On many boards I've worked on, there is a semi adjustable resistor that is used to adjust the FM stereo lock on.

I'm not familiar with the tuner board you're talking about but I would note the current position of the resistors on your board and then spray a little contact cleaner into the resistor and then turn it back and forth a few times to clean the contacts -
return the resistor back to its original position and test function.

The resistors look like this:View attachment 30035

itzmillertyme

Aug 10, 2016
Windsor, On
Ok I tried spraying the resistor. Looks like there's only one (red arrow in pic). still no luck with stereo or the stereo light coming on. Any other suggestions?

Attachments

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
itzmillertyme said:
Ok I tried spraying the resistor. Looks like there's only one (red arrow in pic). still no luck with stereo or the stereo light coming on. Any other suggestions?
Yeah that looks like it could be the one. Of course with a service manual you can be for sure. I think there's one here on Boomboxery under the manuals If not just remember exact spot of pot and turn pot back and forth all the way. This will help clean it. There are posts here also on resetting approximate position to start receiving in stereo again and regaining stereo led.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
You could try cleaning the FM stereo switch and working it numerous times. Then try pot again because if you moved it you need to reset its position or it won't work. If that don't help then you may need to test pot🤔

Superduper

Member (SA)
itzmillertyme said:
still couldn't get it to go into stereo :sadno:
That pot is part of the MPX decoder chip external circuitry and merely adjusts for 19khz pilot signal that the stereo decoder chip requires to lock onto stereo. Obviously, that simple pot itself doesn't make stereo. There are many reasons that a tuner might not capture stereo. If the value of that resistor drifted from when it was set at the factory, obvously that would cause the issue, but it could also be low RF signal strength due to weak tuner, or it could be that the MPX decoder chip itself is bad, or it could be a nearby resistor is open or shorted. I have seen all scenarios. You can try to replace the stereo decoder chip itself if you can find the part and if you have the ability to swap it out. It should be the IC chip that is nearby VR1.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
itzmillertyme said:
Did you try turning it slowly while watching the stereo light?

In other words, don't just clean it and then return it to its original position. Play with it while watching the stereo light.

Status
Not open for further replies.