Anyone purchase the BUMPBOXX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
riker1068 said:
I snagged 2. Blue for me and grey for a friend :)
Very interested in hearing a review on this. I have been following them on Instagram and they look to be about the size of a Wheely or bigger. They look great (IMO).

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Yeah sound wise they are supposed to be excellent and i also think they look pretty sweet. Be nice to get a review when you take delivery.

riker1068

Member (SA)
Jun 5, 2014
FLORIDA Jacksonville
Word is it's made of wood of some sort. Hope that leads to a better bass. i will totally review. Hope its not a disappointing as the 3 speaker TDK. The TDK is a nice unit, just seems to be a little short of what I thought it's potential would have.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161522441379 - the control panel, grills etc are almost identical to the ones on these powered speakers - gotta be the same Chinese manufacturer.

I'm amazed how light the Bumpboxx is - the case is thin MDF but with 10 inch drivers, it's still amazingly light. It's tuned for outdoor use and maximum loudness. Smile face equaliser style sound with 10 inch drivers and tweeters and no mids speakers.

Amazingly cheap price considering what you get.

I'm looking forward to your review. :-)

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
It's tuned for outdoor use and maximum loudness.
How else would you tune it? :huh: :huh: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DarkSideWill contacted them regarding having this unit reviewed for Boombox Magazine, but got no reply. I guess they don't like the idea of supplying us with a unit. I understand, it is a costly box, can't just give them away.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
How else would you tune it? :huh: :huh: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DarkSideWill contacted them regarding having this unit reviewed for Boombox Magazine, but got no reply. I guess they don't like the idea of supplying us with a unit. I understand, it is a costly box, can't just give them away.
Still can't get over how cheap they sell this thing - $329 with a free T shirt!! :-)

People said my DIY boxes were big, this thing is huge!!!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Still can't get over how cheap they sell this thing - $329 with a free T shirt!! :-)

People said my DIY boxes were big, this thing is huge!!!
I'm interested to see how it performs and the build quality. It looks like the size of a Wheely, but it's hard to tell. $329 is the "IndieGoGo introductory price", but they haven't hit their IndieGoGo crowd funding mark yet, looks like they are at 50%. So it maybe a while till anyone sees one. They will sell for $429 retail.
It's got a GRIP of connection points
Screenshot 2016-09-21 16.09.58.png

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Yep, I've been following the details of the Bumpboxx for months - the quality will be the big test - even at $429 with no free T shirt, it's still less than many small BT speakers on the market.

You certainly couldn't build one yourself for that sort of money. 10 inch drivers properly driven should really thump!!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Yep, I've been following the details of the Bumpboxx for months - the quality will be the big test - even at $429 with no free T shirt, it's still less than many small BT speakers on the market.

You certainly couldn't build one yourself for that sort of money. 10 inch drivers properly driven should really thump!!
I sure hope so.

The question in my mind is, has it been engineered to deliver the solid low end bass that almost everything else on the market currently does. The Aiwa is a bass beast. I just watched a comparison video I saw on S2G between the Aiwa and the DiamondBoxx and they both boast HUGE bass. Or is the BumpBoxx a loud, but muddy square? I guess we will find out. I really hope they are successful.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
If it's anything like the Soundboks which has a similar setup with 10 inch drivers, it will have be principally set up as an outdoors only box.

The absence of a mid driver when a 10 inch driver is used will tend to result in weak mids as 10 inch drivers don't produce strong mids. Bass outdoors is difficult to produce so thus the use of 10 inch drivers. Loud and proud is the theme.

Unlike vintage boomboxes that tend to sound stronger bass wise when indoors, these new boxes tend to sound overly boomy sounding when indoors. Particularly when you have big, 10 inch drivers housed in a thin walled cabinet that can't help but resonate with all that vibtrating going on.

So don't expect HiFi sound and you'll be satisfied.

The powerful outdoor style of box that actually looks like an old school Boombox is a great thing - I wish them luck.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
If it's anything like the Soundboks which has a similar setup with 10 inch drivers, it will have be principally set up as an outdoors only box.

The absence of a mid driver when a 10 inch driver is used will tend to result in weak mids as 10 inch drivers don't produce strong mids. Bass outdoors is difficult to produce so thus the use of 10 inch drivers. Loud and proud is the theme.

Unlike vintage boomboxes that tend to sound stronger bass wise when indoors, these new boxes tend to sound overly boomy sounding when indoors. Particularly when you have big, 10 inch drivers housed in a thin walled cabinet that can't help but resonate with all that vibtrating going on.

So don't expect HiFi sound and you'll be satisfied.

The powerful outdoor style of box that actually looks like an old school Boombox is a great thing - I wish them luck.
Pretty much what I am thinking, but that's OK. It might still have it's place.

Now I need to hear a DiamondBoxx

Superduper

Member (SA)
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
.............but it's hard to tell. $329 is the "IndieGoGo introductory price", but they haven't hit their IndieGoGo crowd funding mark yet, looks like they are at 50%. So it maybe a while till anyone sees one. They will sell for $429 retail.
Wait.. Does this mean that a purchase isn't really a purchase? What exactly is "crowd funding" and what happens if they don't hit the mark? Does that mean you lose your money and get no merchandise? I mean, is a purchase merely a "pledge" or do funds actually change hands?

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Wait.. Does this mean that a purchase isn't really a purchase? What exactly is "crowd funding" and what happens if they don't hit the mark? Does that mean you lose your money and get no merchandise? I mean, is a purchase merely a "pledge" or do funds actually change hands?

I have never done it myself. I'm sure it's like the way we get our tee shirts, we all sign up and when they hit the mark everyone gets charged. If they don't hit the mark nothing happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.