M70 experts advice with right channel hum and record button jamming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van Presence

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
Parnassus, NZ
hey. so last week i decided to finally sell my spare M70. everything was working fine. both channels even sounding, seemed perfect timing.
then last night i thought id test it again. had batteries in it already, pushed play on tape. right side very little sound, some but nothing like left. both vu move equally. tried different tape, radio, line in. same. thought id try with plugged in. awful hum coming out of right side. still music/static, still way quieter but never stopping hum. volume doesnt change volume of hum.
been on the phone with NZboom he suggested getting some contact cleaner into record bar and manually moving it few dozen times. had back off done that (not that could get much cleaner in bar) no change. checked with batteries again, cant hear a hum. is that weird?

and the record button. it wont push in at all. gets about half way down and nothing. dont want to push excessively. guessing i have to get deck out to look at properly.

just did a quick search, saw a few forums with similar problems. no harm with another 1.

Van Presence

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
Parnassus, NZ
baddboybill said:
When you push record button did you make sure the unlock tab was depressed?Bad Boy Bill
Hey Bill. 'Tab' as in the hook thing that the cassette should push down? Yes iv had that pushed down manually and few different cassettes. Or am I missing a rookie mistake. I got the mechanism to move last night by pushing it down but the button still won't budge past halfway.

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
As for record bar. Make sure you get fluid all the way through. Also cleaning other switches is a must since M70 has everything on top panel which will collect lots of dirt and dust 😉

Bad Boy Bill

Ca880

Oct 2, 2015
Hey Van,
for your hum and volume issue, you may have had two issues: 1. volume control (which you seem to have resolved with the contact cleaner) and 2. a hum, which seems to have begun when you plugged the radio into AC power.

Just to be clear, when you connect to AC power your hear the hum,.... but on batt. power, no hum, correct ?

Michael

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Hey Van,
for your hum and volume issue, you may have had two issues: 1. volume control (which you seem to have resolved with the contact cleaner) and 2. a hum, which seems to have begun when you plugged the radio into AC power.

Just to be clear, when you connect to AC power your hear the hum,.... but on batt. power, no hum, correct ?

Michael

I agree that hum on AC usually means transformer or possible bad cap on transformer board. But it's kinda odd only coming from one channel. Could also be bad ground somewhere in the deck🤔

Bad Boy Bill

Van Presence

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
Parnassus, NZ
baddboybill said:
Something must be jammed in mechanism. Best off to pull deck and check mechanism Bad Boy Bill
baddboybill said:
As for record bar. Make sure you get fluid all the way through. Also cleaning other switches is a must since M70 has everything on top panel which will collect lots of dirt and dust Bad Boy Bill
Ca880 said:
Hey Van,

Michael
baddboybill said:
I agree that hum on AC usually means transformer or possible bad cap on transformer board. But it's kinda odd only coming from one channel. Could also be bad ground somewhere in the deck

Bad Boy Bill
Yes thinking I may have to get everything out to look at deck. Plus looks like it's all got to be out to see/get to record bar properly. Last night was first time iv had back off a m70. Daunting. Ha
I gave the volumes an bit of cleaner last night didn't change volume difference.
As far as I could tell hum only with AC. If with batteries very quiet. And yes only right channel.
I'll attempt getting everything out tonight.
Oh I had noticed the black wire connected to the paper shield thing over the tuner board had been crushed when someone screwed it back in-between the screw post. Is that ground wire?

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Oh I had noticed the black wire connected to the paper shield thing over the tuner board had been crushed when someone screwed it back in-between the screw post. Is that ground wire?[/quote]

Yes it is but ground I'm thinking might be from deck. Not sure that's one but it may cause issue.

Bad Boy Bill

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
The record button not going down is not a simple fix.
I took it all out and tried my best to make it work but couldn't.
Finally I had to replace the whole mechanical parts of the deck. Thanks to Eric for the parts.

Van Presence

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
Parnassus, NZ
BoomboxLover48 said:
Finally I had to replace the whole mechanical parts of the deck. Thanks to Eric for the parts.
Hmmm. That doesn't sound fun. I'm going to have to take it apart anyway. Gonna start this week. Be nice if not same problem. Would it have anything to do with the hum and noise loss on 1 side?

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
BoomboxLover48 said:
You bet :-) By the way, Blastrpunk is looking for a motor, does the old one still work?

If you have a hum no matter the volume, the left amp chip might have an issue getting to ground somewhere. There are the big 470uF electrolytics off pins 1 and 18 where power comes in that need to be working and well connected, that could be causing the partial power too. Just a guess though.

The deck can be fixed but it's just going to take a careful eye to fins the spot that's out of whack - a bent shaft, a disconnected/missing spring, bad lubrication on a piece that should be pivoting... maybe the record sensor is acting up.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Just out of curiosity, do you still hear the hum when you listen with headphones?

Superduper

Member (SA)
The OP never made it entirely clear under what circumstances the hum occurs. This is very important. Are we talking only tape or also on radio/line-in. Also, without being able to depress the record button, it would be extremely difficult to clean the record/playback switch properly. This bar simultaneously toggles so many switches that virtually all mysterious issue complaint solutions should start with a thorough cleaning of this one thing. As for the record button, the M70 deck key mechanism is very sensitive to dust dirt lubrication and misalignment changes. The reason for such hangups isn't always readily apparent and it could take a very long time to figure it out. However, if you are mechanically inclined, you can probably figure it out if you think hard enough.

Van Presence

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
Parnassus, NZ
caution said:
You bet :-) By the way, Blastrpunk is looking for a motor, does the old one still work?

If you have a hum no matter the volume, the left amp chip might have an issue getting to ground somewhere. There are the big 470uF electrolytics off pins 1 and 18 where power comes in that need to be working and well connected, that could be causing the partial power too. Just a guess though.

The deck can be fixed but it's just going to take a careful eye to fins the spot that's out of whack - a bent shaft, a disconnected/missing spring, bad lubrication on a piece that should be pivoting... maybe the record sensor is acting up.
yes it all still works. but not planning on parting it out.
thanks for that option. i was dreading having to look for that. think i have found what is the problem. by fluke at that. i tried headphones last week and it had the same problem, quiet on 1 side. tried again tonight and it came right. so apparently its a dry headphone joint?

Fatdog said:
Just out of curiosity, do you still hear the hum when you listen with headphones?
lucky you suggested this. i tried last week and had pretty sure no hum out of speaker or headphone, but still quiet on that side. thought try again tonight and it came right. seems might be easier than thought. must have wiggled it just enough to right it.

Superduper said:
The OP never made it entirely clear under what circumstances the hum occurs. This is very important. Are we talking only tape or also on radio/line-in. Also, without being able to depress the record button, it would be extremely difficult to clean the record/playback switch properly. This bar simultaneously toggles so many switches that virtually all mysterious issue complaint solutions should start with a thorough cleaning of this one thing. As for the record button, the M70 deck key mechanism is very sensitive to dust dirt lubrication and misalignment changes. The reason for such hangups isn't always readily apparent and it could take a very long time to figure it out. However, if you are mechanically inclined, you can probably figure it out if you think hard enough.
hey. yea the hum was constant on any function. didnt change at all. im halfway there to taking it completely apart so ill still be keeping on just to get to the record bar for cleaning.
ill be getting the deck out to sort it out too. if i study it hard enough i reckon i should be able to work out the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.