The Berlin M90 find of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
As many of you know I have been traveling the world for the past four months and just returned back home about two weeks ago.
While I was still traveling I got an email from a guy in Berlin saying he found an old JVC that his grandma wanted to throw away. I was hoping for maybe an M70 but since I knew I would not return home for another few months, I thought it would end up on eBay anyways...especially since he already quoted the 1500$ eBay listings.
Long story short - once I got back home and got my things sorted I shot him a message asking if he still had the JVC. After all he was in Berlin and checking it out could not hurt. So he actually replied and told me he still had it. Awesome.
Even more awesome was that he sent a photo this time. :jawdrop:

13493518_1602893866707363_1485964183_o.jpg

My jaw was on the floor. A JVC M90 in my city. Of course i had to check it out.
So without much hope I drove half an hour to this guy's place and saw the unit sitting on the floor.
I began to test it and did some small talk with the owner. Another collector friend was with me as well to keep me from spending ridiculous money on a mediocre M90.
Well, the last thing I expected happened. The tape deck was working. What the fark?! A filthy M90, dirty beyond belief that had been kept in a basement for years is still working on tape.
So I knew i wanted it. The negotiation would be interesting for sure...or would it?
He would not even come up with a price. After a while he finally said something about 300-500€. So I was ready to jump. But my collector friend held me back and after talking a little more the seller said that he just wants to get rid of it...after all he saved it from the dump anyway and had no money in it. So my friend asked if 100€ was okay. The seller said yes. We took the radio, shook hands and left.
At this point I was still dizzy and could not believe what had just happened. An M90 right under my nose for all this time and now it was in my hands.
Here is the first photo I took on my balcony:

14124026_10207831414008190_285869263_o.jpg

It already looked promising but then upon further inspection I found out that the tuner was not working. The needle would not move all the way down the scale and the station was stuck. Damn.
Anyway, I slept very good that night.

Next morning: restoration. Since i had another friend over who is very good with technical stuff, we decided to tackle it right away since that M90 was filthy and was crying for help.

14123356_10207831413048166_1403377545_o.jpg

So we took it apart and cleaned everything. When we got to the speakers I was in shock. they were as blue as can be. All the grey stuff was just dust that I wiped off carefully with a damp cloth.
The tuner issue was also an easy fix. A connector was out of place. No biggie. So most of the resto was cleaning, some minor dents in the grills and more cleaning.
We just put it back together and it is a day and night difference now that it is clean.
Here is a comparison side by side pic of the speakers with my other M90:

14123324_10207831412288147_1118865667_o.jpg

And here it is in its new glory. Saved from the death row. :-D

14114585_10207831411688132_116601868_o.jpg

crazygamer

Member (SA)
Jul 31, 2015
Estonia, Tallinn
Excellent find mate, i love to read such passionate posts about boomboxes to be saved, and there are always some grails out there that you just don´t know about. This looks all nice and pristine from photos :thumbsup: Good job, well played sir ! :thumbsup: :yes:

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
All cleaned up and ready to rock!!! Kick ass score and a local pickup is off the chart! Nice job and take your buddy out for a brew for saving you some $$$$$$$

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Heck man...take your friend out to a steak dinner!!! Excellent price and you save lots of $$$$.$$

Great find!

Every time I think about how difficult it was for me to find parts to repair my M90 I cringe at the thought that somewhere in the world a M90 is being tossed by someone who doesn't know what these things are fetching or how valuable the parts are.

From now on I'm researching the price of things on eBay before I toss anything.....even a empty milk carton!!

Gaffer

Member (SA)
Nov 22, 2015
Great story and great, well amazing find. That's what hunting around can do and it's fun as well. Proper storage hunters. Well to you. I'm still on the hunt for one 🔦📻👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Congratulations on a great find, Max. It still blows me away that people don't think these classics could possibly be worth something substantial by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.