Rx-5150 left speaker off

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Taybrynn

Taybrynn
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:59 PM

Hi I'm new here and I am the original owner of a 5150 and it's been kind of neglected the last 10 years.

I was having a lot of static in the adjustments of volume and bass and treble ... And the left speaker has stopped working in the last few years.

So I opened it up today and put some cleaner in the pots and that seemed to dramatically I,prove the static on the knobs.

I tried moving the speaker wires to see what would happen if I flipped the speaker connector and it appears the left speaker is fine ... As it would play full volume when connected to the 2 pins of that normally connect to the right speaker.

So am kind of at a loss as to what I can do to get the left speaker working again.

I did try the cleaner on the headphone jack and around that area and for while! I got full volume restored but it didn't stay and then returned to not working or very faintly working.

So I stopped as I was worried that too much cleaner might not be a good thing.

I also could really find a good hole,in the balance to spray.

I feel like I am really close to fixing it but not sure how,to proceed. Any ideas appreciated.

I did notice one of the really big blue capacitors near the headphone jack,looks a big funny, with a lot,of,gunk on the bottom (maybe that's normal). I did temporarily get some volume when putting cleaner down the headphone jack but zi was weary because it sits atop this large capacitor and I was just kind of shielding it with a cloth to absorb the cleaner that went through.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

#2 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,658 posts
  • LocationIn the middle of nowhere!!

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:41 AM

The jack possibly has corrosion causing bad connection. Test with headphones first to see if both channels work properly. Also cleaning the function switch with deoxit and moving switch 20-30 times. Also when spraying inside of jack it helps to use a headphone plug by putting it in jack and pulling out many times.

Bad Boy Bill

#3 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members
  • 3,161 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:47 AM

That balance pot needs some spray - there is a way of spraying the cleaner inside.

#4 Taybrynn

Taybrynn
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 05:42 PM

The balance pot had a tiny hole that I sprayed into but it's harder to tell how much gets in.

Thanks I will try with headphones as suggested.

I was using blue shower techspray.

Should I try the Deoxit instead?

#5 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,167 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:35 PM

I think the record / playback switch could potentially cause this issue. I highly suggest cleaning it.

#6 caution

caution
  • Members
  • 1,391 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:53 PM

I had a bunch of cutting out and popping/static on my 5150 until I sprayed the record bar. That cleared it all up.

#7 Taybrynn

Taybrynn
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:56 PM

what is the "record bar" ?     

#8 caution

caution
  • Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:04 PM

It's just another name for the play/record mode switch. It's so long from all the switching it has to do, that it looks like a bar.

It's switched by the record button on the cassette deck, usually cannected with a stiff piece of wire like you see below. It's why pressing record can take a little extra effort than the other buttons.

16700799390_2e148db929_o.jpg

#9 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,167 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:56 PM

The 5150 has a servo deck.

#10 Taybrynn

Taybrynn
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:03 PM

Thanks again ... very helpful.  

So with a servo deck, there is no record bar to clean?

#11 caution

caution
  • Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:09 PM

No, he was just pointing out that the RX-5150 in particular does not require extra force to press record, since it uses servos to assist with that.

It still has a record bar.