Replacement Retainers for Gears/Clutches

Status
Not open for further replies.

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
I'm sure many of you have noticed the little plastic retainers that hold gears and clutches on their shafts inside deck mechanisms. If you haven't, that's o.k. because I pointed them out in the pic below. I've seen bigger versions inside little computer fans, as well.

Anyway, I decided to dig into this little removable deck from a JVC RC-S55JW I've had sitting around for a couple of years now. I was able to re-belt it, which was a real PITA - I mean - yeah, it was a pleasure - but then I found one of those little plastic retainers on a clutch to be MIA. I had nothing to cannibalize, so it was time for some "fabrication," if you could call it that.

Here's what I came up with (pictured is a prototype - I'll replace it the next time it rains):

Retainers.jpg

So far, so good. It's a little thin, hence the distortion, so I'll be replacing it with a thicker one before I button it up. I don't ever want to open this thing again.
Sorry for the blurry pic - this thing is pretty small and it's hard to get a closeup with an old Galaxy S4.

Here's how I did it:

1.) Find one of those clear blister packs or plastic containers with a decent sized flat area - The heavier, the better...but not too heavy.:
20160711_164801.jpg

2.) Cut off a small piece of a flat area from the plastic.:
20160711_164844.jpg

3.) Using a sharp, pointed tool - in this case I used a soldering tool - carefully poke a hole in the plastic slightly smaller than the diameter of the shaft it sits on.:
20160711_164951.jpg

4.) Now the plastic has a pucker that needs to be flattened out. Sand the bottom side of the hole with some finer grit sandpaper or an emery board. I reshaped the hole a few times when I sanded this.:
20160711_165136.jpg

5.) Now you can cut it out. I used scissors, but a hole punch would have been much better. Then cut a slit in the new "retainer" so it can slide over the shaft and lock in.:
20160711_165326.jpg

With a little luck, it should do just the trick. This one's been chugging away just fine since yesterday. I will still replace it with a more refined version before I call this deck a "job done."

20160711_155128.jpg

This should work on all types of decks. This is also a reminder that repairing some decks is a little more than slappin' in some belts and callin' it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.