How to refinish pinch rollers!

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Several times I came across with hardened pinch rollers and spend lots of money and effort to replace them. I always thought there must be an easy way to restore these rubber parts.

My first approach was to find rubber tubes that match the size of the pinch roller and slip them on the top of the old bearing after removing the hardened rubber from it. Things are not easy because no matter how you clean and slip the rubber tube on top of the old bearing it will wobble and don't work well. The reason is that these tubes have uneven thickness.

I had to make 2 pinch rollers for my Akai cassette deck. I checked for the replacement part and they go for ~$55 to $75.

I started to think where I can get the right size rubber tube for this pinch roller bearing.

Recently I had to replace several hardened rubber pinch rollers on my boomboxes including GF9696 and all. It is such a pain to get the correct size pinch roller and also in many instances we cannot use the factory bearings that came with the deck when you replace them.

I went to hobby shops and auto parts store looking for nice rubber tubes that can be used for this application and finally found vacuum caps for this need. They come in different measurements. One has to mill it and glue it to the bearing after removing the old hardened rubber.

Caveman's lathe came handy! :lol: :lol:

On careful examination one can see that these rubber tubes are not even on thickness, so we need to mill it and shape it. If you just slip over the cleaned rubber bearing/wheel it will wobble when it moves with the tape pressed against the capstan. Not a good sight at all!
I used my drill as the lathe and the right size drill bit for the milling need.

Slipped the cut section of the tube on the back end of the drill bit. Then I glued 400 grit emery paper on a wooden ruler for the grinding.
You must have a clear understanding of the outer diameter that is needed when you slip it over the original bearing.
The emery paper stuck on the wooden ruler will slowly erase the hills on the tube and go down to the valleys.

I made 2 for my Akai GXC 570D and will make 2 more for the same deck I have. :thumbsup:
I hope this method will help to keep the original wheels and replace just the rubber.

I used 2K epoxy for bonding the rubber and the metal wheel.

I will post pics soon.

~ Royce

Attachments

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Nice work but I think for such a high end deck, I'd be tempted to be lazy and pay the $70. :-)
You are right James! I was tempted too.. :yes: :yes:
I have one with excellent pinch rollers and this one had hardened ones. Thought of working on one of them since I have two. I see no difference at all from a performance standpoint. :yes: :-D

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
goodman said:
This Akai GXC 570D is real monster. Please give us more info i pictures.... :yes:
Goodman send me a PM with your e-mail ID. I can send you lots of info on this deck. If I put all that here I will get my butt kicked by admin and moderators. :w00t: :lol:

It is one of the best Decks ever made. Touch sensor play functions and have wired remote also. This deck had two capstan and two pinch rollers. When it works you don't see or hear a thing except the tape reels moving. They got the large motors like in 735D. I believe they are brush less motors. The sound quality is amazing!! It got 3 heads 3 motors and two capstan.

Attachments

superlew

Member (SA)
Apr 22, 2012
Woburn, MA
Royce, this is great info! :w00t:
I've had to change several and I've even resorted to trash picking . . . not some of my proudest moments.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
superlew said:
Royce, this is great info! :w00t:
I've had to change several and I've even resorted to trash picking . . . not some of my proudest moments.
Thank you Arom!

Cut the sides somewhat straight before slipping tight on a drill bit. You know better!
That also can be made smooth during the "caveman lathe" approach.
Gorilla 5 min set epoxy worked well for bonding rubber and metal.