Photo

Help For The Ignorant Needed With Speaker Selection!

speaker speakers Pioneer SX-450 amp amplifier tuner/amp receiver Hi-Fi

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#31 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,847 posts
  • LocationSleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:18 PM

I've now narrowed my search down to a small amount & range of speakers but, before I continue, I'd like to invite your comments on this particular pair of speakers.  The spec seems (to me!) to be pretty close or even a fairly good match but this particular pair of speakers look so different from all the others I've seen with regard to the tweeters: The spec says they are present but, for the life of me, I can't see them - unless they're disguised as dust caps.

Has anyone any experience of these particular speakers?  Aside from the spec, especially the 90db (minimum) Sensitivity I'm looking for, these speaker cabinets - wait for it......................................will match my light oak furniture:yes:  Don't laugh, Guys, it's just that a light oak finish to the cabinet would be nice bonus for me although not a deal breaker. :yes:   

Link: KEF Q 60 Speakers SP3136

#32 T-STER

T-STER
  • Members
  • 1,334 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:34 AM

Kefs are awesome in general, I downgraded my speakers recently from huge Kefs (similar to the ones your looking at actually but a couple sizes bigger) with the UniQ thing to a small set of bookshelfs and they are still awesome.

Kefs UniQ thing means the tweeters are mounted inside the centre of the woofer. Groovy.

I don't think you'll go wrong with them but make sure your amp has bass/treble controls as all Kefs in that range are pretty bass heavy i have found. Which is nice.

Go get em Mom!

#33 ford93

ford93
  • Members
  • 2,521 posts
  • LocationFormer New Yorker

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:11 AM

Those oak KEFs would look nice with your silver face system. Looks like in the specs. section they will do the job.

For some reason Polk speakers are 89db I guess they do it for a reason not sure though, but they do sound very well balanced. Again I listen to Jazz, House music and Rock and these puppies do their job. :yes:

Good luck with the KEFs and post a pic. once you have it set up and give us a feedback on how they perform. 

#34 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:00 AM

Kefs are awesome in general, I downgraded my speakers recently from huge Kefs (similar to the ones your looking at actually but a couple sizes bigger) with the UniQ thing to a small set of bookshelfs and they are still awesome.

Kefs UniQ thing means the tweeters are mounted inside the centre of the woofer. Groovy.

I don't think you'll go wrong with them but make sure your amp has bass/treble controls as all Kefs in that range are pretty bass heavy i have found. Which is nice.

Go get em Mom!

Thanks, T-STER.  I had a pair of KEF speakers in the '70's for my Pioneer & Sony system, I still remember how good they sounded - but not the speaker model #'s as too much time has passed.  Thanks for enlightening me on the Tweeter issue with these speakers - I thought I was losing the plot! :w00t:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: . The Pioneer SX-450 Amplifier does indeed have separate Bass & Treble controls.

Those oak KEFs would look nice with your silver face system. Looks like in the specs. section they will do the job.

For some reason Polk speakers are 89db I guess they do it for a reason not sure though, but they do sound very well balanced. Again I listen to Jazz, House music and Rock and these puppies do their job. :yes:

Good luck with the KEFs and post a pic. once you have it set up and give us a feedback on how they perform. 

Thanks for your input, ford93, it's very much appreciated.  I'm giving some very serious consideration to bidding on these speakers and I probably will although I have a few other speakers on my short list.  Just to compound the issue (bear with me on this) I saw these Celestion Ditton 15 speakers on eBay last night so I leapt in there rather swiftly and bought them for £99.00 incl. P+P as these had been recommended (along with other brands).  I felt I had to act rather quickly because there were others listed at far higher prices, one pair (if I remember correctly) having an asking price of £225.00.  I have a feeling that what these speakers may deliver will be beyond my needs but didn't.t want to miss this opportunity to find out - despite the fact that these particular speakers rate highly in the Ugly Stakes once the covers are removed! :w00t:  :yes:  :lol:

To further compound the issue, there is another set with a £25.00 starting price (also on eBay) although the single picture in the listing as well as the description leave a lot to be desired as they are both very basic: "Pair of celestion 15 speakers, front covers good but badges missing."  This particular pair are 'collect only' but only a very short drive away which should minimise bidding competition.  Yes, I know I've just bought a pair but, if they fit the bill, I'd hate to miss a bargain even though this second pair represent a bit of a gamble.  I'll see.

I've also seen these Klipsch RB-61 II bookshelf speakers on eBay (Italy) and, no, I'm not restricting my search to eBay!  I like the look and (of what little I understand of) the spec on these so I'm not ruling these out just yet.  If anyone has any comments to make on these speakers I'd look forward to reading them.

The Rate I'm going I'll have a house full of speakers!  When the first Celestion Ditton 15 speakers arrive in a few days I'll be in a good position to consider my next move although I think I would have bought the KEF Q 60 Speakers SP3136 by the end of today anyway.

Finally, if there is a UK member who'd like to get their hands on the £20.00 (so far) pair of Celestion Ditton 15 speakers and would like me to play the part of Collector & Postie Extraordinaire just let me know and I'll happily take care of this for you.

I think that's all for now.

Thanks, Guys! :thumbsup:

#35 duckman

duckman
  • Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationDead Center, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:10 AM

T-ster is right, the bigger ones do have quite good bass, as I heard the Q80's last year, so the bookers should fit nicely in your rom. Many great reviews online also.

The single driver design with the tweeter in the center offers very good stereo imaging (close your eyes and you can imagine seeing where the instruments are placed on stage, per say) and design has been around for decades with big names such as Tannoy,  Altec and JBL using over the years.

Anyhoo, a good choice, they are a reasonable size/weight to work with also,  and let us know your final set up.

Cheers

#36 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:22 AM

T-ster is right, the bigger ones do have quite have good bass, as I heard the Q80's last year, so the bookers should fit nicely in your rom. Many great reviews online also.

The single driver design with the tweeter in the center offers very good stereo imaging (close your eyes and you can imagine seeing where the instruments are placed on stage, per say) and design has been around for decades with big names such as Tannoy,  Altec and JBL using over the years.

Anyhoo, a good choice, they are a reasonable size/weight to work with also,  and let us know your final set up.

Cheers

Thanks once again, duckman, what you said says it all really.  If I can 'be there' when listening to fantastic reproduction of the music then I couldn't ask for anymore.

#37 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,552 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 June 2016 - 11:49 AM

MyOhMy, on 11 Jun 2016 - 2:18 PM, said:

I've now narrowed my search down to a small amount & range of speakers but, before I continue, I'd like to invite your comments on this particular pair of speakers.  The spec seems (to me!) to be pretty close or even a fairly good match but this particular pair of speakers look so different from all the others I've seen with regard to the tweeters: The spec says they are present but, for the life of me, I can't see them - unless they're disguised as dust caps.

Has anyone any experience of these particular speakers?  Aside from the spec, especially the 90db (minimum) Sensitivity I'm looking for, these speaker cabinets - wait for it......................................will match my light oak furniture:yes:  Don't laugh, Guys, it's just that a light oak finish to the cabinet would be nice bonus for me although not a deal breaker. :yes:   

Link: KEF Q 60 Speakers SP3136

19 inches tall?  Wow, seems kinda overkill for a kitchen shelf.  But as long as you've got the room for it.

#38 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 01:34 PM

19 inches tall?  Wow, seems kinda overkill for a kitchen shelf.  But as long as you've got the room for it.

I think, perhaps, they will be a little large for my needs but they will eventually be sitting on purpose built shelving either side of a chimney breast in my living room.  The alcoves are wide & deep therefore will increase the distance to my ears and, while they're quite large (physically) the music reproduction quality is my primary concern.

BTW, I'm not averse to pretty loud music in my decent sized kitchen either - it has been known after a tipple or two! :yes:  :-D  :lol:

#39 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:31 PM

These are the Celestion Ditton 15 speakers I bought:

Attached File  01DSCF2384combosfw.jpg   171.82K   12 downloads

I think there may be a foam circle missing?  Would I be correct in thinking the

purpose of the foam ring is to maintain the gap to the speaker cloth?

Attached File  04DSCF2390sfw.jpg   97.85K   9 downloads

There is, however of damage to one of the Terminal Plates that occurred in transit:

Attached File  05DSCF2388dam03sfw.jpg   60.19K   9 downloads

Removing the Terminal Plate assembly, complete with Crossover, resulted in the plastic plate falling apart into several bits.  Until a replacement part was sent I decided to see what I could do in regard to repairing the damage.  I wasn't overly concerned about appearance but needed a strong & robust repair as the whole assembly is quite heavy with the weighty Crossover adding stress to the Plate.  Here's the tale of the sorry looking Plate being stuck together, reinforced with a bespoke circular patch/plate located under the metal label and then reassembled:

Attached File  06DSCF2400sfw.jpg   69.02K   9 downloads

Attached File  07DSCF2403sfw.jpg   65.36K   9 downloads

Attached File  08DSCF2402sfw.jpg   47.41K   7 downloads

Attached File  09DSCF2405sfw.jpg   74.61K   8 downloads

The replacement Terminal Plate arrived - complete with a whole new crossover attached and

I hope to find time to replace the damaged parts with this replacement tomorrow:

Attached File  DSCF2408sfw.jpg   66.79K   7 downloads

Attached File  DSCF2409sfw.jpg   78.68K   7 downloads

#40 Ambience

Ambience
  • Members
  • 216 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:48 PM

Wow these are a lot larger than I was expecting you to go with. They looks awesome though. And they're made in England!

I've never seen anything like that foam speaker circle thing.

Smart work on the repair by using a patch as well.

#41 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:31 AM

Thanks, Ambience. Indeed they are physically large speakers and, truth be known, far in excess of my room requirements but it was the sound reproduction I focused on and not the size.  If any speaker ads/info/spec didn't mention at least 90db Sensitivity then it didn't qualify for a second look.  The speakers are date stamped 1975 inside, in those days they weren't too concerned about the blatant ugliness behind the speaker cloth!

This whole exercise has been an eye opener for me and I doubt I'll commit to memory enough technical detail to apply to another search for different speakers but 90db Sensitivity will always be a minimum requirement.

Anyway, this is how I spent a part of my morning:

Strip out the old crossover and check & prepare the replacement:

Attached File  DSCF2620.JPG   189.71K   6 downloads

Access to both sides needed so here's what a part of Celestion Ditton 15 looks like inside:

Attached File  DSCF2623.JPG   104.72K   9 downloads

All done and singing like a little bird:

Attached File  DSCF2622.JPG   103.95K   9 downloads

Early Fleetwood Mac, Willie Nelson, ZZ Top, Mantovani and Bob Marley all sound fantastic with these speakers so all that remains to be said is:

Thanks, Y'All!

#42 duckman

duckman
  • Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationDead Center, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:35 AM

Great to hear you are happy with them and that all drivers are good (ya never know) , Nice work on that repair.  Where did you find that replacement crossover btw ?

#43 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:26 AM

I searched online and saw a pair in France (Euros 30 - whatever that is!) but, before I could send the details to the seller of the speakers, he contacted me and offered a free replacement.  How/why/where from?  No idea, he just happened to have a spare on hand.

Maybe he's a Speaker Nerd with 'STOCK'?! :w00t:  :-D

#44 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,552 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:32 AM

Interesting, a foam passive radiator!

Do you know the sensitivity rating on those speakers?   A lot of vintage speakers don't have very good sensitivity.  But it doesn't really matter as long as you like them.

#45 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:57 AM

Interesting, a foam passive radiator!

Do you know the sensitivity rating on those speakers?   A lot of vintage speakers don't have very good sensitivity.  But it doesn't really matter as long as you like them.

The Sensitivity is 90db, Reli. :thumbsup:

#46 crazygamer

crazygamer
  • Members
  • 439 posts
  • LocationEstonia, Tallinn

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:48 PM

What an excellent pair of speakers you got there, i´m glad the "ignorant" finally found a superb set of speakers  :lol:  :w00t:  I like their look, they match with your stereo system.  :yes:  :thumbsup:

#47 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members
  • 3,885 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:22 AM

Well done :-)

#48 ford93

ford93
  • Members
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:24 AM

I searched online and saw a pair in France (Euros 30 - whatever that is!) but, before I could send the details to the seller of the speakers, he contacted me and offered a free replacement.  How/why/where from?  No idea, he just happened to have a spare on hand.

Maybe he's a Speaker Nerd with 'STOCK'?! :w00t:  :-D

That was very nice of that person to just offer you a crossover for free!!!

I remember having a pair ARs / Acoustic Reseach 70's model I forget the actual model number but those speakers sounded beautiful.

Glad you are enjoying them and playing Bob Marley!!!

#49 Nickeccles

Nickeccles
  • Members
  • 325 posts
  • LocationLittlehampton West Sussex

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:07 PM

Whatever you choose go for dome tweeters, cone tweeters simply can't match the refinement of soft dome units :yes:

#50 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:03 AM

Whatever you choose go for dome tweeters, cone tweeters simply can't match the refinement of soft dome units :yes:

Check.  Thanks, Nickeccles - no such thing as 'just a pair of speakers', eh?!!!

A couple of days ago I also picked up a pair of Celestion Hadleigh speakers which are physically smaller than the Ditton 15's so now I can select the pairs of speakers best suited to my sitting location in the room.  I did feel a little guilty at parting with the princely sum of £6.50 for the Hadleigh speakers. :yes:  :-D  :lol:

#51 ford93

ford93
  • Members
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:53 PM

Check.  Thanks, Nickeccles - no such thing as 'just a pair of speakers', eh?!!!

A couple of days ago I also picked up a pair of Celestion Hadleigh speakers which are physically smaller than the Ditton 15's so now I can select the pairs of speakers best suited to my sitting location in the room.  I did feel a little guilty at parting with the princely sum of £6.50 for the Hadleigh speakers. :yes:  :-D  :lol:

Dang!!

6.50 sterling!

Not bad.

#52 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,919 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:01 AM

These are the Celestion Ditton 15 speakers I bought:
01DSCF2384combosfw.jpg

I think there may be a foam circle missing? Would I be correct in thinking the
purpose of the foam ring is to maintain the gap to the speaker cloth?
04DSCF2390sfw.jpg

There is, however of damage to one of the Terminal Plates that occurred in transit:
05DSCF2388dam03sfw.jpg

Removing the Terminal Plate assembly, complete with Crossover, resulted in the plastic plate falling apart into several bits. Until a replacement part was sent I decided to see what I could do in regard to repairing the damage. I wasn't overly concerned about appearance but needed a strong & robust repair as the whole assembly is quite heavy with the weighty Crossover adding stress to the Plate. Here's the tale of the sorry looking Plate being stuck together, reinforced with a bespoke circular patch/plate located under the metal label and then reassembled:
06DSCF2400sfw.jpg

07DSCF2403sfw.jpg

08DSCF2402sfw.jpg

09DSCF2405sfw.jpg

The replacement Terminal Plate arrived - complete with a whole new crossover attached and
I hope to find time to replace the damaged parts with this replacement tomorrow:
DSCF2408sfw.jpg

DSCF2409sfw.jpg

There's nothing missing, that's glue applied to hold the surround in place, they over glue it like that to guard against separation of the surround edges. You usually only see the extra glue on speakers that are covered most of the time and the grills only really come off to service the speakers.

#53 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:27 PM

Many thanks for the additional info on this, now I know!  :yes:  :thumbsup:

#54 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 4,919 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:52 PM

Also you only see the extra glue on rubber or treated accordion surrounds as its not needed for foam because the glue outlasts the foam in almost every case.

I built my first pair of speakers when I was 13 years old and found some woofers in a trash pile lol.

#55 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:27 PM

:cool:  :thumbsup:

#56 Sel The Don

Sel The Don
  • Members
  • 164 posts
  • LocationBursa, Turkey

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:40 AM

I may be a bit late wading into this thread but anyway :)

https://www.stereoph...225-loudspeaker

Go for a pair of these, very very highly rated, musically and do pretty well in the bass department considering their size  Bi-wirable too so you can use your A+B outputs. Can run from low power amps. 

Even the Stereophile website have voted it Budget Product of the year. I went and demoed these in Istanbul this weekend just gone and was so impressed I'm having a pair, These will be part of my vintage 20WPC Pioneer amp/EQ/Radio/Cassette seperates combo for my bedroom, replacing some Technics gear I have.

EDIT: I didn't even look at the second page. My bad.  Glad to see you've bought a pair of Dittons! Nice one :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: speaker, speakers, Pioneer, SX-450, amp, amplifier, tuner/amp, receiver, Hi-Fi