Dug out my old Samsung, not seen it for over 20 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny

Member (SA)
May 21, 2016
Hi all, thought I'd pop up a pic of my ageing Samsung WH-209 that I rescued from my parents' loft today, where it has resided since about 1995.

It's more "radio/cassette" than "boom box", I'll admit. But I was on a budget at the time of purchase... It was 1992, I was nine!

I'd saved my pennies because I wanted something to play my 2 Unlimited tapes(!) and couldn't stretch to the Holy Grail of a Hitachi 3D Super Woofer jobbie. It then got relegated to the loft a few years later when Santa came through with an Aiwa system that had a CD player, aux inputs (for my Commodore Amiga, naturally) and detachable speakers.

It's survived reasonably well; it always had an odd problem where a bit of distortion would be heard from the left speaker sometimes, cured by switching off and on a couple of times. Only real snag is the belts in the tape decks are shot - they're no longer very elastic and consequently slip. Quick 'n' dirty solution has been some elastic bands of vaguely the right size, although I think at least one is too tight as the sound seems a touch slow and there's some pitch variation - my guess is a slightly too-tight band is causing the motor to struggle. Not going to lose sleep over it as it's not often I need a tape deck these days!

Quite pleased the old Samsung still works though. Just a shame Atlantic 252 is long gone, I'm currently having to make do with the Radio 1 dance show!

(Annoyingly, my dad used to have one of the red Sharp ''boxes with the "stacked" twin tape decks. That went bloody loud as I recall, suppose it needed to be as he originally bought it to use in a machine shop! The annoying part is he consigned it to the skip without telling me first...)

Attachments

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
Hello, jonny and welcome to the best forum on the internet! :yes: :hi:

I like the back story and the way you've maintained your interest over the years, especially from such a young age.

jonny

Member (SA)
May 21, 2016
Thanks for the warm welcome!

This Samsung was actually my second box, the first was an old one that my grandparents gave me after they had replaced it with a newer model. After racking my brains and scouring Google images I've established it was a Ferguson 3T09. It had some sort of intermittent fault but was still usable and I used it for maybe a year or so before getting the Samsung.

I struggle to recall much detail of what was wrong with it but it was consigned to the skip, after I took it to bits...!

Now quite fancy picking one up for the sake of nostalgia, they appear to crop up on Ebay for peanuts occasionally so will be keeping an eye out.

jonny

Member (SA)
May 21, 2016
Oh, and I neglected to answer the question about the tuner display - sorry!

It's not backlit, just a plain LCD. One nice feature is that it has a timer function, which means it can be used as an alarm clock. Digital tuners were quite rare at the time as I recall, I think this and the price difference were what steered me away from the more powerful Hitachis back in '92.

Status
Not open for further replies.