• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 BassHead

BassHead
  • Members (SA)
  • 143 posts
  • LocationSt Petersburg, FL

Posted 05 July 2019 - 11:51 AM

I bought a similar box with the typical left speaker not working in stereo mode.  The bass and treble sliders didn't work at all as well.  Additionally, the unit didn't work with batteries.  I sprayed all the contacts associated with the battery module and cleaned all the sliders with deoxit.  Now I'm getting sound out of the left speaker in stereo and the unit works with batteries.  Additionally the bass and treble sliders are working, but if the bass slider is at '0' position, the left speaker doesn't work.  Strange. But who wants to use a radio with 0 bass?!?  Nonetheless, the sliders may be on their way out, so i'm not going to leave them be ;)

I'm happy that I was able to get the box in a condition deemed adequate, as this box is one of my more aesthetically minty examples.

#32 chucknorris

chucknorris
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Beach, FL

Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:01 PM

This post is somewhat dated, but the information is valuable.  I just purchased a minty 838 and the left speaker does not play in stereo or mono, but does play in BiPhonic mode.  Most of the pictures in the post are removed, so I'm using the descriptions by clp-chronic to help with the repair.  fingers crossed   

#33 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 10,806 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee, U.S.A.

Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:55 PM

This post is somewhat dated, but the information is valuable.  I just purchased a minty 838 and the left speaker does not play in stereo or mono, but does play in BiPhonic mode.  Most of the pictures in the post are removed, so I'm using the descriptions by clp-chronic to help with the repair.  fingers crossed   

Congrats on the RC-838!  When working on any boombox, it always helps to take lots of pictures as you progress through the repair.  It seems we always forget where a screw or wire goes.

Also, welcome aboard!!

PS - I really enjoyed watching you in Walker, Texas Ranger.  :-D :lol: :lol: :-P

#34 vermouth

vermouth
  • Members (SA)
  • 50 posts
  • LocationBrazil & USA

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:23 AM

Any chance you could re-post the pictures? They seem to have expired.