Graffiti art in my town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
Croydon (nearby town) had until recently been getting a bit run down in parts with lots of shops closing and businesses leaving since the financial crisis.
Recently there has been some redevelopment in the town centre and the Westfield group will be building a massive shopping /centre mall starting later this year.
In the meantime there has been permission from the local council to let local artists put up some graffiti art on the boarded parts of east Croydon.
Some of the work is mediocre but some very interesting and high quality. It won't be there forever as building work starts later this year. I thought I should take a few pictures.
One of the artists is a guy I used to work with some time ago.
This is quite a picture heavy thread but hope you enjoy.

Attachments

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
I can see a lot of thought and hard work has gone into providing some excellent results which I find very impressive but...........................(again) I fail to see the point of making words completely unintelligible, surely they could be artistic yet readable? Is a word really a word if it is so 'abstract' it can't be read but rather presents itself as abstract art?

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Rudey there is some great work there, some nice burners and i love the futuristic scene type one near the end, very cool. My wifes mother lives in Croydon and i'll be heading up soon so will try and have a look around.

Oh and SA, you got great skills, i love the colours in that last pic

systemaddict

Member (SA)
Mar 26, 2014
East Coast England
T-STER said:
Rudey there is some great work there, some nice burners and i love the futuristic scene type one near the end, very cool. My wifes mother lives in Croydon and i'll be heading up soon so will try and have a look around.

Oh and SA, you got great skills, i love the colours in that last pic
Thanks T-STER :-)

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
Thanks everyone for the comments. There is some good stuff there and I've been meaning to photograph it for some weeks.

Lee, the Nestle head office is in your town now but the old building is still there empty. That part of town is pretty dead.
The old Blue Orchid nightclub is a long time closed. Many a messy night in the Orchid in the old days!

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
Epic thread! :hooray: I know that 3rd pic (toast) was done by Artista, I've been checking out her work for the last year or so..
Awesome pics, wish I was there! :yes: :breakdance:

duckman

Member (SA)
Oct 30, 2014
Dead Center, Manitoba, Canada
Great shots, thank you for sharing. Quite the varied lot there .

Wile E Coyote and Popeye too ! :thumbsup:

Is that pic of the cars (in the storefront windows) a painting? The crowd pics of that series look it, but that seems very detailed.

Smeats

Member (SA)
Feb 14, 2015
Perth, Scotland, UK
Nothing wrong with a pic heavy thread Rudey! I think it's great that you took the time to upload your photos to share this art with everyone here!

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
duckman said:
Great shots, thank you for sharing. Quite the varied lot there .

Wile E Coyote and Popeye too ! :thumbsup:

Is that pic of the cars (in the storefront windows) a painting? The crowd pics of that series look it, but that seems very detailed.
This one? Yes all paint. Amazing piece. You can see the paint run on some of the tail lights.

Attachments

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
JustCruisin said:
Epic thread! :hooray: I know that 3rd pic (toast) was done by Artista, I've been checking out her work for the last year or so..
Awesome pics, wish I was there! :yes: :breakdance:
I wondering if there is more than 'local talent' and some international contributions.
Italian artist below

Attachments

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
Some badass pieces there Rudey, thanks for taking the time to take the pictures and post em up, all of those would make for some killer backdrops for a boombox photo shoot. Much talent on those walls :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.