Dull issues for SHARP boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superduper

Member (SA)
I know I saw or read about this someplace but figure I might as well ask anew.

Can one of you Sharp guys tell me about the worn tubing/bushing thing that supposedly is common on the Sharp cassette mechanism? I think I finally got one that needs this attention and would rather benefit from your experiences rather than try to discover this on my own or reinvent the wheel. Like my boss always said... nothing wrong with emulating success.

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
norm the sharp that i have worked on is the 9494 9696 which has a wheel that touches the capstan , its on the front of the deck you will notice that the capstan will have a plasic piece covering it with a little window inside there there should be a small rubber tube wrapped around it in there once in play mode that wheel gets pushed against that little rubber tire and and plays without eating up your tapes :lol: :lol: well what happens is that mostly all of those rubber tire are either worn out non exsitant or allready guuui ,,, you have to pull the capstan out look for some hobby rubber silicon fuel tubing cut a piece that is just right.. i had to cut a few untill i got the right lenth to work,.. push it inside the little window then push the capstan back up in thought the tubing ,, there is one small size that works for that norm it has to hugg the capstan without slipping and be able to touch the main wheel once put in play without slipping or not touching and the lenth of the tubing should be able to spin inside that little window without jamming or going all the way down because it was too small ,,thats why i had to do a few sizes until i got the right one to work i did a hand spin on the capstan and watched for it to spin without no issues hope this helps norm.......

Superduper

Member (SA)
That's pretty much what I thought, looking at the GF-515 mechanism but I thought I'd ask just to be sure this is what everyone was talking about. I don't suppose you know the size of the tube? If not, I guess I'd have to try them all but If someone knew what size, it could save me that hassle. I'm getting lazier all the time.... :lol: BTW, that GF was suprisingly well built. Very high quality. Weighs a ton and I'd have to say I'm pleasantly suprised. Now, if I can only find me a replacement power switch so I don't have to try fabricating something....

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Like Monchito said, the capstan problem can be fixed with silicon fuel tubing from any R/C (radio controlled) hobby shop.

You'll need one with a 0.215" or 0.22" outside diameter. The inner diameter should be around 0.0455" to 0.05". Then use some sand paper to rough up the outside after trimming.

blah blah

Member (SA)
May 8, 2009
deep fluffy powdercountry
Thanks for bringing it up again Norm and Fatdog for the size and Monchito for always answering any question! my 555 needs the same treatment and I couldn't find the post for correct tubing size. Wasn't too bad to get too it, just gotta have the correct tube- don't try to substitute anything else cause I can assure you if won't work :w00t:

monchito

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
pythonville florida
blah blah said:
Thanks for bringing it up again Norm and Fatdog for the size and Monchito for always answering any question! my 555 needs the same treatment and I couldn't find the post for correct tubing size. Wasn't too bad to get too it, just gotta have the correct tube- don't try to substitute anything else cause I can assure you if won't work :w00t:
:agree: :agree: :agree:

Status
Not open for further replies.