Dire Straits - Ride across the river

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Hi,

I've been on a nostalgia trip this morning digging out my Dire Straits Brothers In Arms LP I bought back in 1985.

One song I loved was the seldom played (on radio)''Ride Across the River'. I remembered the bass guitar on this track would make the old mans stereo speakers shake! 'Turn it down' is all I would hear when I fired up this song.

I just tried it out on both my RX-DT680 and my Yamaha PC-8. It sounded great on the Pannie but the songs' bass was too much for the thin, plastic speaker cabinets which resulted in a lot of unwanted resonance. The Yammie on the other hand sounded simply awesome. :-)

I thoroughly recommend this track for Boombox playback - choose a high powered box with a wide dynamic range for superior bass!! It's a laid back track that will test your box!

YouTube link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h4T1MQGTV9U
(It sounds a lot better on MP3 line in of course).

Have a great weekend guys,

James.... :-)

View attachment 27124

ralrein1

Member (SA)
"The little faggot with the earing and the makeup,yeah buddy that's his own hair.The little faggot with the earing and the makeup,he's a millionaire".Ha,ha,ha yeah thats a great album.Rock on brother!I'll have to try your suggestion on one of my boxes.😄

THAFUZZ

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Midwest, USA
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
Hi,

I've been on a nostalgia trip this morning digging out my Dire Straits Brothers In Arms LP I bought back in 1985.

One song I loved was the seldom played (on radio)''Ride Across the River'. I remembered the bass guitar on this track would make the old mans stereo speakers shake! 'Turn it down' is all I would hear when I fired up this song.

I just tried it out on both my RX-DT680 and my Yamaha PC-8. It sounded great on the Pannie but the songs' bass was too much for the thin, plastic speaker cabinets which resulted in a lot of unwanted resonance. The Yammie on the other hand sounded simply awesome. :-)

I thoroughly recommend this track for Boombox playback - choose a high powered box with a wide dynamic range for superior bass!! It's a laid back track that will test your box!

YouTube link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h4T1MQGTV9U
(It sounds a lot better on MP3 line in of course).

Have a great weekend guys,

James.... :-)

image.png
That sounded great. Thanks.

jaetee

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Florida's West Coast
Yup. great album indeed. You should hear the recording I made of it from the first release "DDD" CD onto reel to reel... using the vintage 1978 Sony in my avatar. Notwithstanding the quality of the music on its own, the production quality of the entire album is benchmark.

Absolutely unreal sounding!

Status
Not open for further replies.