Prince died today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
One of my fav. from the 80's died today at 57 yrs. too young!!

I just heard it on T.V. and on the web there is a report of him struggling with a bad flu.

My heart sank from hearing this really really ****ed this year has taken quite a good few from my era!

R.I.P. my brother love you always!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NN3gsSf-Ys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8BMm6Jn6oU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

ralrein1

Member (SA)
Just caught the info on his passing on the noon news.What a shame,57 years is too young to die in this day and age.Prince was everywhere in my youth.In the early 80's he was on MTV on my boombox and in magazine articles at the news stand.They still play his stuff from that era on the radio.I heard Raspberry Beret like yesterday and I played it loud.He will be missed,rest in peace Prince.

THAFUZZ

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Midwest, USA
JustCruisin said:
X2.. It's like a tidal wave of death hitting the music industry this year! :sad:
You sad it, James. It's like the music industry plague going on. I remember blasting Purple Rain and The Time on My boxes during High School events in the 80s. HUGE loss.

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
I went to see him at the O2 in London in 2007. I was on a hell of a first date with an Australian chick.
He opened with 'Let's go crazy' and this mad guitar solo. The hairs on my arm went up and I remember thinking that there was not a lot this man couldn't do musically.

-GZ-

Member (SA)
Oct 8, 2010
Boom Central
What a stallion he was. True rock star.
Me and a couple of coworkers skipped out to lunch and then went to a bar because it rained and our job site was pretty much shut down. My girl texted me during lunch that he died.
So I'm in this little po dunk bar in the middle of the afternoon on a Thursday...shootin pool...drinkin beers and blastin Prince songs. Then a while later a group of random guys come in and they join us shootin pool. Then one of the dudes starts playing more Prince on the jukebox. Then I bought a round of shots for the whole bar...9 people....and we raised our shot glasses to "The Purple One". It was a great send off. Wish it didn't have to happen.

THAFUZZ

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Midwest, USA
On a related note, Denise Mathews (aka Vanity 6) also died recently. David Bowie, Maurice White of Earth Wind & Fire, Natalie Cole. Too many musicians. Damn.

JustCruisin

Member (SA)
Jan 28, 2012
Midwest, USA
THAFUZZ said:
On a related note, Denise Mathews (aka Vanity 6) also died recently. David Bowie, Maurice White of Earth Wind & Fire, Natalie Cole. Too many musicians. Damn.
I read that about Vanity too, Adam.. She and Prince dated a long time ago, she passed in February of this year at 57..same age as Prince!

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
"Dearly beloved
We are gathered here today
To get through this thing called life".

I will never get tired of singing this one song, but in the lyrics he mentions "Are we gonna let the elevator bring us down"

That's scary because he was found in an elevator when he passed.

Man I still can't believe that he is gone.

And yes thanks Adam on reminding us about Vanity passing this February of this year and died at the same age as Prince.

Here's another awesome performance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAYQUbh8HHA

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
I saw the Rolling Stones in 1981 at the Rose Bowl in Los Angeles. George Thorogood and Prince opened. That was the first time I had ever heard him or his music. To be honest, I barely remember that show at all, it was so long ago.

To me, Prince is the end of an era. Today's false "Musicians" or "Pop Stars", whatever you call them. The Justin Bieber's, the Katy Perry's, the American Idol karaoke puppets, they are acting the part, but Prince WAS the part. These people today don't write their own music, they don't play any instruments, they have perfect pitch, a smile and sometimes tits and that's all. They aren't great rock stars, they don't have 1/100th of the talent that this man had. They are merely actors dressing up in the "Costume" and portraying the persona that Prince help create. A real Rock Star.

You never saw Prince loaded falling down drunk out in front of a bar in NY. He was never an airport TMZ whore or a relationship break up drama queen. I can't remember him doing anything more than bringing positive vibes to this world. Usually in a very flamboyant fashion. Which takes ALLOT A BALLS!

The musicians of this era are going fast.

Much respect to The Purple One!

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
Lasonic TRC-920 said:
I saw the Rolling Stones in 1981 at the Rose Bowl in Los Angeles. George Thorogood and Prince opened. That was the first time I had ever heard him or his music. To be honest, I barely remember that show at all, it was so long ago.

To me, Prince is the end of an era. Today's false "Musicians" or "Pop Stars", whatever you call them. The Justin Bieber's, the Katy Perry's, the American Idol karaoke puppets, they are acting the part, but Prince WAS the part. These people today don't write their own music, they don't play any instruments, they have perfect pitch, a smile and sometimes tits and that's all. They aren't great rock stars, they don't have 1/100th of the talent that this man had. They are merely actors dressing up in the "Costume" and portraying the persona that Prince help create. A real Rock Star.

You never saw Prince loaded falling down drunk out in front of a bar in NY. He was never an airport TMZ whore or a relationship break up drama queen. I can't remember him doing anything more than bringing positive vibes to this world. Usually in a very flamboyant fashion. Which takes a lot A BALLS!

The musicians of this era are going fast.

Much respect to The Purple One!
Well said Chris!!

I totally agree in todays music world there are so many unsung hero's called ghost writers that give the these nowadays artist their fame and fortune. In the world of DJing same thing in that world. The equipment used for DJing are so DJ friendly that anyone can be a DJ with beat matching technology.

Prince was a humble person and very private and also very giving to all sorts of artists and organizations. Also he has a vault that includes tons of music recordings and four albums that were recorded during the Purple Rain recording. So we have not heard the last of Prince.

One more thing he wasn't so much in love with digital.

I will truly miss him.

Can you imagine Prince and Jimi Hendrix jamming up there for our creator.

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
Man I can't seem to find a video of this one song that I would like to dedicate to Prince.

God from his 1993 The Hits/The B-sides.

It's a beautiful track. If you have a moment take a listen to it.

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
My wife and I were lucky enough to see him perform live in Los Angeles at the Forum a few years ago. He was such a talented musician and performer. His skills on the guitar were amazing, and he had that power to bring the erotic freak out in all the ladies! So many good memories come from his music, especially the Purple Rain and 80's era. Im so glad I had the opportunity to see him at least once, he will be missed. :-/

R.I.P. PRINCE

Status
Not open for further replies.