Panny RX-C100 record problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZacMac

Member (SA)
Mar 31, 2016
Halifax Nova Scotia Canada
So my RX-C100 is having issues with the record button, When I first bought the boombox, I was told the player would only play on one speaker, Figured out it was the record button sticking, I sprayed some switch cleaner on that sliding bar I saw under the head, and worked the switch a few times and the other channel came back, So today I decided I'd try to make a recording with the box and now, It makes a buzzing noise in one speaker when you try to play back the tape and again, hitting the record switch a few times and then play makes the buzzing go away? Do I have to dissemble the box to fix this? The bar still looks kinda dirty under the head, Not a huge deal, I was planning to make cassettes on my Yamaha cassette deck on my component system but found out it won't record and its motor is slow, Direct drive, Planning on purchasing an Alpine AL-35 cassette deck today for 30 bucks, Its working and rebelted, I was planning on using it to make copies of my CD's and iTunes just for well nostalgic purposes I guess

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
The 'record bar' is a long switch component that normally sits across the main board that is actuated by a rod that is connected to the record button. It's that switch that will require cleaning - not the actuating rod that sits below the tape head.

Here is a pic of a record bar in a random circuit board: (the horizontal silver thing on the right in the centre - not the red circled components) View attachment 26876

Superduper

Member (SA)
I like to rotate the boombox so that the record bar is vertical. That way, the solvent will drip down the bar as you work it. It's not easy getting the solution to work it's way into the contacts when flat. Of course I highly recommend placing some paper towells or other absorbent material to soak up anything that passes the bar so that the solvent doesn't cause issues by getting into places it shouldn't. All the while, you should be working the switch to clean it. It could take scores or even hundreds of switch actions to clean it enough to restore reliable operaiton.

ZacMac

Member (SA)
Mar 31, 2016
Halifax Nova Scotia Canada
Thank you so much! I'll be getting around to that sooner or later, Interestingly the recordings seem okay when played, I just bought an Alpine AL-35 deck for my component system, and used it to make a mix tape, Works amazing, Tape sounds good in the Bose stereo in my car too! This hobby is so much fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.