Speaker cleaning M90 woofers, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
How the heck can I clean this nasty thick hairy stuff off the M90 woofers without damaging them? It literally looks like this was laying next to a litter box.... It's likely to be a mox of liquid **** and hair.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
M90 cones are coated with polyurethane, so I think it'd be safe to use a damp cloth. But first try brushing most of that **** off with a painters brush.

duckman

Member (SA)
Oct 30, 2014
Dead Center, Manitoba, Canada
First off, :sick: ! I have had success using packing tape (or painters tape on more delicate paper cones, pressed on to remove solids (mainly dust and pet hair) with multiple apps until nothing more come off. You just have to be careful when getting to original surface and that outside gasket as it may tear. Those are a treated paper tho no? Dollar store micro fiber cloths, as they are cheap grab a ton of crap off too

Does it seem to be glued on tho? Test try cleaning fluid on cloth on a spot first?

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Reli said:
M90 cones are coated with polyurethane, so I think it'd be safe to use a damp cloth. But first try brushing most of that shiat off with a painters brush.
That is correct! We have some freedom here to use harmless wet cleaners because of PU coating.

Use soft painters Nylon brush gently from center to the edge fashion. Use a damp old microfiber cloth and wipe once you removed larger particles.

Check it is wetting by looking on the other side where there is no polyurethane coating and repeat the process. If it wets the paper the PU coating is not acting as a moisture barrier and can deform if you apply pressure.

Smear pledge on a clean microfiber cloth and finish off again watching to see if that wets the paper.

On the corrugated rims of the cone paper just go in a circular fashion with the brush only. That part is very susceptible to damage.

Hope the mess didn't react on the dust caps.
I use Pledge on a Q tip to clean dust caps also. Use a little to wet the Q tip and gently work on it.

note: wet cleaning only on coated cones with no harsh cleaners that won't damage the coating

Attachments

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
My favorite thing is to take a wet Q-tip and draw a circle around the edge of the dust-cap (in the fold that's attached to the speaker), because that edge really picks up the light and shines at night

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Reli said:
My favorite thing is to take a wet Q-tip and draw a circle around the edge of the dust-cap (in the fold that's attached to the speaker), because that edge really picks up the light and shines at night
:yes: I do the same. I pull the cotton out a little bit more to get good contact area. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.