Hey hey! New to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wakehappy

Member (SA)
Mar 12, 2016
Seattle
What's up y'all!

Big shout out to everyone! I gotta say how stoked I am to have found this forum. I recently scored a gently used JVC M-70. It needs some love, and it's the first well-known box in my collection. When I was a little kid, there was this dude we called Zero. He lived across the street and had a huge Conion C-100F. He would crank AC/DC and walk around looking cool. I wanted one so bad, and when Christmas came along I ended up with a very small and modest black double decker Panasonic. Mom and dad had no idea that it was uncool, but it did the job I guess. I was always jealous of Zero's huge-ass boomer with it's blingy chomed-out face and monstrous sound.

So yeah, that box is on the top of my top-10, and one of these days I'm gonna have me one! My wife's starting to think I'm crazy... all I can talk about is boomboxes.

A few things I could use some help with...

Any Bay Area California peeps out there who know where to go for trusted repairs? I'm in San Jose and can't find anybody who will crack into my M70. Thought for sure it would be easy to find a reputable tech who knows these beauties.

Saw the thread on the M70 volume board. Mines toast I'm guessing - lot's of static when I adjust the volume sliders and no variation in sound, just loud or nothing + right side cuts out. I sprayed some Deoxit fader lube in the slider tracks but it didn't help much. Also needs new belts or clutch mechanism from what I can tell (ffd and rewind work, but play won’t stay engaged). And, the front clear plastic is busted. I'm looking for these parts so will check the for sale page once I'm granted access (thanks Admin!).

Anyone know if there’s a Bay Area group or meetup? Seems like we need to start one if not. Looks like LA has been representing at Venice beach, cool photos guys!

Here's my m-70, plus a cool little GE I picked up on the cheap. I've got a GE Blockbuster on the way too.... can't wait until she arrives!

And…here’s my top-10 list if anyone's interested. ; )
  • Conion C-100F… or Clairtone
  • JVC M90
  • Lasonic TRC-920
  • JVC M70 - checked off the list!
  • Lasonic TRC-931
  • Sharp GF-777
  • Sharp GF-9000
  • National / Panasonic RX-7000
  • Rising / Nippon SCR-2015
  • Dynasty Disco Lite

Attachments

stereomad

Member (SA)
Apr 9, 2012
crawley
First of all welcome to the madhouse
Unfortunately I'm in the uk so can't help but there's plenty on here that I'm sure can help you get your m70 back to full health......the volume slider fault is a common one and will most likely need replacing,the m70 is a common box and spares are often available
I hope you got deep pockets bro as your wish list is full of big hitters!

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
Welcome to the forum....man, that top 10 list is EVERYONE'S TOP 10! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: You sure know how to pick'em

Not sure about repairs in San Fran area, but member Superduper rebuilds the volume boards, you should send him a PM.

The M70 is a staple box, many members have more than one!

You know what you need for that M70, a factory strap!

wakehappy

Member (SA)
Mar 12, 2016
Seattle
Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome! :thumbsup:

Yeah, the wish list is going to take me a while... but dang, it's hard not to go crazy right outta the gate! I'll be cleaning out the garage in hopes of finding some goodies to finance the addiction.

Thanks for the info Lasonic TRC-920, I just pm'd superduper about the volume board. Can't wait to get her thumping! I'll definitely be picking up one of those factory straps once she's back in business! :yes:

SLO

Member (SA)
May 19, 2014
Inland Empire, Southern California
MyOhMy said:
I liked the back story, specially about the 'uncool' box! :yes: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Great intro bro, I too liked the story of what drove you to this madhouse we call Boomboxery. And don't worry, most of our wives already KNOW we're crazy. :lol:

The M70 is a great box, I was lucky enough to get mine from the great member Gordie, aka GSBADBMR. Its fully functional and pretty dam clean. Your wish list is top notch, and don't worry, they will come. I dove into this game head first and haven't looked back since. If you stick around, you'll get all the help you need to get that M70 "street ready". Hope you find a boombox mad scientist out there somewhere, they're out there so keep looking and asking around.

Welcome aboard from So Cal :surf:

THAFUZZ

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
Midwest, USA
What's up wakehappy! Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with Us. Congratulations on the M70. Your other one isn't too shabby either. :thumbsup:

DarksideWill

Member (SA)
Oct 22, 2015
Los Angeles
Welcome! Great story! And like everyone else has said the M70 is a great box. That's the box that I rock. You'll be able to get it all figured out from the help of this great community!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

wakehappy

Member (SA)
Mar 12, 2016
Seattle
Hey Hey! Thanks again for all the shout-outs guys!

I wanted to share my latest eBay score... a Lasonic TRC-931 that was in pretty ugly shape when I received her. After an all night elbow grease session I got her all shined up and here she is!

She even had the original clear protective sticker on a few areas....

Attachments

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Howdid I not see this thread!? Welcome to madness. You are locked in for the long haul and have a great start. Glad to have ya. Thanks for the props Chris ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.